Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x64 build

Hi all -

I was just wondering if anyone has tried to compile this for Win x64. I'm not a very experienced programmer and I tried to compile it using VS.NET 2005 beta 2, but to no avail. The only things i tried were to change the path in the build.all batch file and convert the projects/solutions to VS8 versions. Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.
    Thanks and keep up the great work on a great program!

Yes it works fine with a few small changes

You must fully qualify all instances of InvalidDataException to Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.InvalidDataEx ception
    and SettingsBase to WorldWind.Configuration.SettingsBase as these conflict with new .net 2.0 namespaces.
    Then you have to configure each project to compile to x86 or you will get a badimage exception as worlwind references 32 bit dlls.

Comment

Originally posted by Renzo@Oct 26 2005, 02:13 PM
      Yes it works fine with a few small changes

You must fully qualify all instances of InvalidDataException to Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.InvalidDataEx ception
      and SettingsBase to WorldWind.Configuration.SettingsBase as these conflict with new .net 2.0 namespaces.
      Then you have to configure each project to compile to x86 or you will get a badimage exception as worlwind references 32 bit dlls.

see
      http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2...UmbrellaPR.mspx

"The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) in the United States has seen an acceleration in the processing throughput for its online World Wind planetary visualization tool by two to 10 times, even when compared with high-end 32-bit systems."[COLOR=blue][FONT=Optima]

Comment

Has anyone tried to debug WorldWind using VC2005 on Vista x64 version? I get pretty bad cpu utilization doing that and the world wind app slows to a crawl so it's almost unusable.

If I run just the vanilla (32 bit I assume) 1.4.0 world wind it runs pretty well.
        Last edited by Ammianus; 03-23-2009, 01:16 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Did you try forcing execution to 1 CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by James_In_Utah View Post
            Did you try forcing execution to 1 CPU?
            I hadn't yet. What would that involve actually?

Edit: I tried this. I set the affinity for one the WorldWind process to one processor and the affinity for VCSExpress to another. I think it helped a bit.

I tried setting them both on one of my CPU0 and it does seem to perform better, though it gets a little choppy. Also without even doing anything that CPU is maxed out to 100%.

I don't seem to recall this behavior on my old computer, which was single CPU. Though that one probably has a better graphics card than this laptop.
            Last edited by Ammianus; 03-24-2009, 01:38 AM. Reason: more details

Comment

I did select x64 as the build target for my own version of 1.4.1 alpha and it works fine, I don't know if it is a proper 64bit build or not though.
              Bull_[UK]

Comment

Originally posted by bull View Post
                I did select x64 as the build target for my own version of 1.4.1 alpha and it works fine, I don't know if it is a proper 64bit build or not though.
                Do you use VS2008?

I tried targeting x64 with VCSExpress 2005 and got build errors. If I changed it to "Any CPU" it works.
                Last edited by Ammianus; 03-24-2009, 01:36 AM.

Comment

When you say CPU is at 100%, without doing anything, that may not be the case. Are you running a "Debug" build, or a "Release" mode build? I think you said you were trying to debug it, so probably debug. When in debug mode, WW spits out lots of debug info into the log file located in \Application Data\NASA\World Wind\1.4.0.1 under your profile name. Delete that .log to begin with and then check it for new entries. Also, pull up the download monitor, Ctrl-H, and see if you are just requesting lots of tiles. Also, turn off all of the layers except BMNG, layer manager, and turn off toolbar, and anything tranparent on the screen. See if any of that helps.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I am trying to run it in Debug from Visual Studio.

CPU was 100% with no movement and no downloads.

However, by removing all other layers and the layer manager itself, combined with the force to one CPU trick it went from unusable to fairly smooth.

I am just glad the issue doesn't appear to have anything to do with 64-bit version of Vista. Probably my laptop graphics card is underpowered.

Back to work!

Comment

How much physical memory do you have on the video board? I have two video boards on my machine at work. One with 256MB, and the other with 32MB. I would probably get similar performance if I was displaying WW on the 32MB board. I typically put the IDE on the 32MB board, and WW on the 256 MB board. Also, turn off your borders. I really don't like the new borders. I think the old ones are faster.

Comment

Originally posted by James_In_Utah View Post
                        How much physical memory do you have on the video board? I have two video boards on my machine at work. One with 256MB, and the other with 32MB. I would probably get similar performance if I was displaying WW on the 32MB board. I typically put the IDE on the 32MB board, and WW on the 256 MB board. Also, turn off your borders. I really don't like the new borders. I think the old ones are faster.
                        The board is an integrated graphics card from intel that uses some system memory so I know it's not great. It gets a 3.8 on the Windows Vista benchmark thing for 3d graphics.

That said, Thanks for your suggestion about changing the affinity for the WorldWind process to one CPU:
                        Task Manager> Right click on a process (e.g. WorldWind.exe*32) and Set Affinity>Uncheck CPU1, leave CPU0 checked.

That seems to have really helped performance. I am able to run it and debug now. (I tend to turn most layers off though).

Comment

@Bibefeloanile: huh? and WTF...
                          Stop posting this nonsense or I'll ban you.
                          Hot stuff: FAQ, forum search, DirectX, .NET, Video Card Compatibility list

Comment

Working...
                          X