WorldWindData.com - World Wind Cache Packs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WorldWindData.com - World Wind Cache Packs

Me and Steven (svheuven) have decided to take on a joint effort to provide cache packs, and general world wind data to the World Wind users. We're presenting this effort in the form of a new website, http://www.worldwinddata.com .

I've asked the moderators to un-sticky our former posts about cache packs, so I could inform you in this post. We have also found a way through archive.org to have the packs available for download through HTTP instead of bittorrent. Our plan is to get enough global cache packs online that users have a taste of what life is with a full cache, and then start releasing regional, high-detail cache packs. I will post in this thread once me or steven uploads a new cache pack to the site, so check back often.

To make this a bit easier to read I have formated it so blue is packs that are ready, red are cache packs that are in-progress, and italic is anything that hasnt been started.

worldwinddata.com is going to begin offering both Cache Packs and raw data on CDR, DVDR, and Hard Drives. You can configure a disk to see how much it may hold at:
    http://www.worldwinddata.com/calc.html

Hopefully I'll be adding some new cache packs to this soon. Any of the raw data will include a pre-configured webserver that can act as a caching proxy (with minimal installation). I'm hoping I can fit all of the (currently released) cache packs on 1 DVD, which I think I can.

If you are interested in ordering a CDR, DVDR, or Hard Disk, please contact me by email at mmills@ceteranet.com

I'm also hoping to get a full copy of both Onearth datafeeds to include as both cache packs and Raw data. (And some USGS data if I can).

Prices are currently not set, although proceeds will (currently) go to benefit World Wind Central, and Archive.org.

Right now the following packs are online (Check worldwinddata.com for more info):
    NLT Landsat 7 Layer 0 - 359 MB Packed - 363 MB Unpacked
    NLT Landsat 7 Layer 1 - 1371 MB Packed - 1391 MB Unpacked
    Global SRTM30US layers 0,1,2,3,4 - 17 MB Packed - 57 MB Unpacked
    Global SRTM90 layers 0,1,2,3,4 - 226 MB Packed - 650 MB Unpacked
    SRTM30US Layer 5 - 49 MB Packed - 140 MB Unpacked
    SRTM30US Layer 6 - 172 MB Packed - 534 MB Unpacked
    NLT Landsat 7 Layer 2 Southern Hemisphere - 1138 MB Packed - 1171 MB Unpacked
    SRTM30US Layer 7 - 644 MB Packed - 2075 MB Unpacked
    SRTM90 Layer 5 - 627 MB Packed - 1728 MB Unpacked

The following Packs are in line to be made (They will be shortly, dont worry) and then uploaded:
    NLT Landsat 7 Layer 2 Northern Hemisphere - ???? MB Packed - 4076 MB Unpacked

To wet your appetite, here are some of the regional cache packs that will include all layers of NLT (0-4), that are on the list to be made:
    Atlas Mountains
    Atlantic Islands
    River Nile I
    River Nile II
    Great Rift Valley I
    Great Rift Valley II
    Madagaskar
    South Africa
    South East Asia I
    South East Asia II
    South East Asia III
    Jordan River Valley
    Red Sea Mountain Range
    Himilaya I
    Himilaya II
    Himilaya III
    Japan
    Sri Lanka
    Taiwan
    Mediterranean Islands
    Caucasus
    Pyrenees
    The Alps
    Iceland
    Wadden Sea
    Falklands
    Serra da Mantiqueira
    The Andes I
    The Andes II
    The Andes III
    The Andes IV
    Baja California
    Costa Rica / Panama Range
    Cuba
    Guatamalan Mountains
    Bahama's
    Hisponiola
    Coast Mountains I
    Coast Mountains II
    Rocky Mountains I
    Rocky Mountains II
    Grand Canyon
    Sierra Nevada / California
    Great Dividing Range
    New Zealand
    Hawaii
    Tasmania

We will (hopefully) also be selling hard drives stuffed with data, and machines that are pre-setup to run as transpart caching proxy servers, also stuffed with data. (Most / all proceeds will go to WorldWindCentral, or other orginizations that are starved for money due to their genorosity). If you are interested in either of the above (purchasing equipment) please contact me at mmills@ceteranet.com.

[edit]
    For those of you wondering what layers are, they are the levels of detail for the different datasets. The detail and specficity inrease with the layer number (layer 0 is least detailed for Landsat7, and layer 4 is most detailed). Each different datasets can have different amounts of layers and each layer in each dataset can have a varying ammount of specificity.

Quoting the size of the packs would help.
    My Web Page with WW Add-ons and Add-ons Index

Comment

Ah yes, sorry about that I was rushing out the door as I wrote this post, I've updated it with the file sizes. Also, these are excutable installers that will install themselves (for the most part) if you have a default install location.

Comment

Originally posted by f0urtyfive@May 5 2005, 01:27 AM
        Global SRTM30US layers 0,1,2,3,4 - 226.48 MB Packed - 650.98 MB Unpacked
        Global SRTM90 layers 0,1,2,3,4 - 17.75 MB Packed - 57.67 MB Unpacked
        It looks like the sizes of the above are the reverse. Also I think a good idea would be to place the file sizes in the download page too (or only).

Also a question. Do I need to change any cache setting (size/time) so as the World Wind to not erase any cache? I am currently having SRTM cache packs mainly in mind.

Comment

Are there any other options for downloading? The connection that I have has a websense filter and there is no way that I have around it. ( I am in the military overseas and use my connection through them so I have to keep the filter ). Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ivr+May 5 2005, 01:56 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ivr &#064; May 5 2005, 01:56 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>It looks like the sizes of the above are the reverse.
            Do I need to change any cache setting (size/time) so as the World Wind to not erase any cache?
            [/b]

The above sizes are not reverse, they are all correct... Although I think some european countries use the decimal place as a thousandths seperator (Then what do you use for a comma?), I have removed them.
            As for the cache size, you&#39;ll have to make that a bit larger if you want to fit a lot of things in it (Go into your WW directory and open WorldWind.exe.config, you should find a setting in their that has the cache size limit). For the Expiration stuff, I have to look into, because I dont think that actually works. If you want to be save anyway, you can go into images.xml (in Yourwwdir/Config/Earth) and change the expiration times on all of em.

<!--QuoteBegin-joshuaksullivan
            @May 5 2005, 04:28 AM
            Are there any other options for downloading? The connection that I have has a websense filter and there is no way that I have around it. ( I am in the military overseas and use my connection through them so I have to keep the filter ). Thanks.
            [/quote]
            Unfortunately their is not at the moment. Their are some of the packs on bittorrent, but if your in the military I doubt 1 you have enough bandwidth to participate in bittorrent, and 2. that bittorrent is even let through the firewall.

Comment

Originally posted by f0urtyfive+May 5 2005, 04:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(f0urtyfive &#064; May 5 2005, 04:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
              The above sizes are not reverse, they are all correct... Although I think some european countries use the decimal place as a thousandths seperator (Then what do you use for a comma?), I have removed them.
              [/b]

The sizes you are mentioning:

Global SRTM30US layers 0,1,2,3,4 - 226 MB Packed - 650 MB Unpacked
              Global SRTM90 layers 0,1,2,3,4 - 17 MB Packed - 57 MB Unpacked

However when I downloaded them, the US SRTM file was 17.7 MB and the world SRTM file was 226 MB.

Originally posted by f0urtyfive@May 5 2005, 04:30 PM

As for the cache size, you&#39;ll have to make that a bit larger if you want to fit a lot of things in it (Go into your WW directory and open WorldWind.exe.config, you should find a setting in their that has the cache size limit). For the Expiration stuff, I have to look into, because I dont think that actually works. If you want to be save anyway, you can go into images.xml (in Yourwwdir/Config/Earth) and change the expiration times on all of em.
              OK, thanks for the info.

<!--QuoteBegin-f0urtyfive
              @May 5 2005, 04:30 PM
              Unfortunately their is not at the moment. Their are some of the packs on bittorrent, but if your in the military I doubt 1 you have enough bandwidth to participate in bittorrent, and 2. that bittorrent is even let through the firewall.
              [/quote]
              That was another guy.

Comment

Originally posted by ivr@May 5 2005, 09:51 AM
                The sizes you are mentioning:

Global SRTM30US layers 0,1,2,3,4 - 226 MB Packed - 650 MB Unpacked
                Global SRTM90 layers 0,1,2,3,4 - 17 MB Packed - 57 MB Unpacked
                However when I downloaded them, the US SRTM file was 17.7 MB and the world
                Hah, I didnt even notice that, thanks for pointing it out :P

Comment

BTW, Those files that have ??? MB for the packed size are still in the processing stage, those that are red but have a size already are either in the qeueue to be uploaded, or have finished uploading and are waiting for archive.org to move them to a proper server.

Comment

SRTM30US layers 5 and 6 are now Online Also.

Comment

Tasmania last. Sigh. :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by f0urtyfive@May 4 2005, 02:27 PM
                        To wet your appetite, here are some of the regional cache packs that will include all layers of NLT (0-4), that are on the list to be made
                        I thought there were 6 layers instead of 4?

Comment

Originally posted by joris@May 7 2005, 08:27 AM
                          I thought there were 6 layers instead of 4?
                          There will be, but NLT haven&#39;t processed the last two yet. Don&#39;t ask for a completion date. "A while". Lots and lots of processing to do.
                          Donate to support your community!
                          Please donate if you can - every donation helps improve World Wind

World Wind Central - FAQs, Hotspots, Wiki and more...READ before posting!

Need to upload files? Use my free 50Mb uploader!
                          Or, how about some web hosting or web design?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeansprout@May 7 2005, 01:51 PM
                            There will be, but NLT haven&#39;t processed the last two yet. Don&#39;t ask for a completion date. "A while". Lots and lots of processing to do.
                            I knew they still have a lot of work to do, but I thought six layers were already completed. So layer 4 is 30m/pixel, right?
                            [jorisvandael.be]
                            + jorisvandael.be/weblog
                            + eurobilltracker.com

Comment

Yep, theirs only 4 layers and its 30m res. I would have a few more things online by now, but it seems archive.org has gotten clogged up.

Comment

Working...
                              X