Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardwaare & Android versions needed for latest WWA...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardwaare & Android versions needed for latest WWA...

Hi,

Does anyone know the hardware/OS requirements needed for this new WWA version? In other words the min/max Android version and CPU/Memory requirements.

What sensors are needed?

Also, I was wondering since ESA is involved if you are going to internationalize it.

Thanks,
    -Tony

Tony,

The minimum API level supported by WorldWindAndroid is 16, which corresponds to Android 4.1.

As for hardware, we test on Nexus 7 tablets and a few assorted phones with different Android versions. We haven't really formally identified hardware minimums/maximums. WorldWindAndroid is optimized for the Android Runtime, allocations are minimized from WorldWindJava to help with garbage collection and a "threaded" render approach is used to leverage the Android platforms GL and Activity threads.
    Zach
    World Wind Team
    https://github.com/NASAWorldWind

Comment

Thanks Zach. Any new status updates on the efforts? Has WMS support been added?

Comment

WMS support is in WWA; however, an automatic WMS capabilities parser isn't included, so you'll need to manually specify some parameters yourself. Check out the WMS Layer tutorial.
        Zach
        World Wind Team

Comment

Hi Zach,
          Last time I tried it did not work for me. I will re-download the project and try again. What about elevation support?

Thanks,
          -Tony
          Last edited by adanecito; 11-28-2016, 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

No elevation support yet, but it is one of the top items on our priority list.

Feel free to open an issue if the WMS isn't working with the latest from Github.
            Zach
            World Wind Team

Comment

Thanks Zach. I will hold off for awhile till elevation support and wms parser is in place.

Comment

I am also very interested in elevation support. I have Android WorldWind running beautifully on a Google (Huwaei) Nexus 6P right now. We have a production application using Java WorldWind. When our QA tester saw the Android app, he immediately zoomed into the Grand Canyon! Looking forward to showing him the canyon elevation when it is added. Thanks Zach

Comment

Originally posted by lmorda View Post
                  I am also very interested in elevation support. I have Android WorldWind running beautifully on a Google (Huwaei) Nexus 6P right now. We have a production application using Java WorldWind. When our QA tester saw the Android app, he immediately zoomed into the Grand Canyon! Looking forward to showing him the canyon elevation when it is added. Thanks Zach
                  We are (here in Trilogis) waiting for it too, as we have the old android version which is quite outdated and the only thing we are missing with the new one is the elevation (which was working not perfectly in the old one). We do think it is a feature that affects performances heavily so they have to do it taking their time to get the best possible elevation! As soon as it will be ready, we will try to update our software so it can become more than great!

I'm a bit sad not being able to contribute, I hope to be able to do it in future!

Comment

Actually, there are at least two much more important capabilities that might be missing but I will wait till the next release to be sure. I do not want to change their priorities.
                    Last edited by adanecito; 12-12-2016, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Actually, there are at least two much more important capabilities that might be missing but I will wait till the next release to be sure. I do not want to change their priorities.

Ok I will distract the WWJ Team and Patrick they can handle it.

1. Lack of memory management for caches. The current code base just puts everything in a single simple cache. You need to be really careful with it since the memory on the phones is limited and the more layers added the more chance it will fill up the cache. Also, the longer the user moves around on the map the greater the chance the user will run out of memory. The maximum heap supported by even the newest smart phones for Android is 128MB. The closer you get to that limit the performance degrades because the jvm is GC'ing so much.

2. Support for Mercator projections. Trigolis did not have this and I did a massive hack job to add it. They also were not using Android Studio which made it impossible to consider using Git so I had to give written instructions on how to fix bugs. So you need to support more than the standard sphere projection.

3. Be careful what versions of Android you support. The older the version the more chance someone with an old smartphone with less max heap and physical CPU memory. I support 4.4+ but also now have a CPU memory size check and warn the user if their memory is too low.

In regards to the problem Nicola pointed out it happens on very few tiles and only at pitch (tilit) greater than 20 degrees and for certain headings it does not happen till 60 degree pitch. I am trying to figure out why now since I finally have some time but the code is highly complex and I suspect it might have something to do with the Matrix class. It is not a performance issue and the elevation data is there since it does correct itself. If someone like DColins on the WWJ team reads this and has a flash of inspiration why this might happen and a fix to try let me know. His name shows up quite a bit in the Trigolis code.

Ok I said what I was thinking of.

Regards,
                      -Tony

Comment

Tony, thanks for the thoughts, a lot of good points to consider.

The team is utilizing a number of features on GitHub for project management and planning. I wanted to point you and others at our milestones on GitHub. While these aren't hard and fast, they do provide a picture of where we are in development and where we are headed. If there is a feature or issue you are particularly interested in, I encourage you to open an issue.

Zach
                        Zach
                        World Wind Team

Comment

Thanks Zach I will check that out. I just updated my Mars WWA app to only support Android OS 5.1 and greater. Someone in the Russian Military downloaded my app from Google Play Store but had ancient hardware running Android OS 4.4. It was a heartache but I had to do it to avoid frustrations not just for my users but also for me. It is just there is some very old hardware running on 4.4 out there. He gave me a ok rating but the low ones I get are usually the hardware memory is not large enough. Funny thing is I get great ratings by the Chinese after they download from the store. Guess they have more advanced hardware. Yes, Phds through elementary kids love the added capability I put out there a couple of weeks ago. I just tried to do the same thing with WW Web and running on a twelve core i7 around 4.2GHz with a GTX 980 video card it was so slow I was sad. Since Patrick asked me to try it out again. WWJ on the other hand I know is really fast and can run 4 WWJ maps at the same time.

Thanks Again.
                          -Tony

Comment

Tony, some great lessons learned here. Much appreciated!

Comment

Thanks Patrick! I bumped up my required Android OS to 5.1+ and have not had a single reported issue regarding hardware capabilities. I still have in place my memory check on startup that displays a warning dialog for those who have less than 1.4GB of total CPU memory and I do see one or two users with a Android OS 5.1 or greater with 1GB but that is now rare. I will go mainstream with my app in the next week or two to see it get used more.

Have a Happy Holiday!
                              -Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X