Surface images performance problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface images performance problem

I'm working with Android Studio on a Nasa WorldWind project. I've been able to run the basic application which show the globe with satellite view.
    I've then moved on and added another RenderableLayer with many renderable objects (a red dot image from the drawable folder). I would say that there are a few hundreds of red dots that show on the globe. Those red dots indicate coordinates (latitude & longitude) of earthquakes that i receive from a simple api call.
    There is a big problem tho: when running the app, all red dots are displayed correctly on the globe but there is a huge performance problem (low framerate, I'd say 2 or 3 fps)... .
    Is this problem caused by trying to show multiple renderable objects or I'm doing something wrong? Is there a preferred way to show renderable objects on the WorldWind globe?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Luca Giacometti; 02-07-2020, 08:37 PM.

Interesting. I have an much much older one that I have optimized over the years and I can render 10k 3d objects with a little lag that represent Air Quality Monitors. I suspect I can render 20-30k of objects. Here is a link about it that I wrote on linkedin.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/tony-...973357569-G5Ml

I am using a Samsung S9+ and suspect a S10+ will have no lag and support 30K objects. My hope is to get to 100K in the next couple of weeks.

I took a very innovative/radical approach to get that high number.

Best Regards,
    Tony Anecito
    Founder/CEO
    MyUniPortal LLC
    Last edited by adanecito; 02-07-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Thatís exactly what Iím trying to accomplish! May you give me some suggestions? Where should I start to accomplish your same result? Note that my app is being developed only for academic purposes, it will never be used for profit.
      Thanks for your patience!

​​​​​​​Luca

Comment

Use a profiler to understand the slowest path and think about how to eliminate every line of code that you can in that path. Elegant design is best and complexity and loops worst. Think of O time analysis you might have learned in school if you are a Masters Computer Science student. Do not be afraid to try new things. It can take years to get to the point I did and I am still working on it. Old hardware also can be a problem so you need to decide your lower end of hardware thus Android OS you will support.

Tony
        Last edited by adanecito; 02-07-2020, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your patience, I really appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
          X