Latest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest

I know you don't know, can't say, hate to give out false information, etc. but any hints (I would even settle for lies) on when the next release might possibly be? I promise I will not hold you accountable for what you say. The anticipation is killing me.

+1 here!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought one of the goal of making this project open source was to get contributions/feedback from the community. I mean no disrespect, and I know you're all busy, but there's only so much valuable feedback you can get from us if the latest release we can see is from May 2008 ! That's almost 9 months ago !!!

There's been many posts were the answer was 'this has already been fixed' since last fall. At some point, this got to discourage people from reporting bugs, no? Some people probably think 'why spend my time filling a JIRA issue or posting a bug, it's probably been fixed already'. I myself am trying really hard not to think like that.

Many months ago, I there was a suggestion that the code repository should be accessible anonymously for reading. I believe the answer was "Interesting, but we just don't have the time to set it up" or "not until we have a 1.0 release" (http://forum.worldwindcentral.com/sh...6&postcount=41).

Then maybe you could enlist people from the community to give a hand? There's so many 'forge' sites out there (SourceForge, JavaForge, Java.net, Project Kenai...)... Is it because you want to keep the repository internal?

I'm being constructive, here, I really don't want you guys to think we're a bunch of ungrateful vultures. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's a lot of us out there that want to help but the longer the time between releases, the harder it gets.

Can't wait for the 0.6.0.

Chiss!
    Last edited by Chiss; 01-16-2009, 06:57 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

latest

I was trying to entice Pat to give us an answer nicely. If you scare him away, I think he’ll be less inclined to speculate on what he probably does not know for sure anyway. We all know the difficulties of giving dates on releases, even open source. However, Chiss has some valid points.

Comment

Expect Good News

Okay, much apologies and kind regards for your interest, your support and your patience. We are just now bringing onboard someone whose *only job* is to build the v0.6 release. With some testing and debugging still required, we're probably a month away. We'd like to accelerate to v1.0 so that we can open this up a lot more. Meanwhile if you are an organization who would like to provide support, we are interested in hearing from you so that we can expand the development base and more rapidly achieve v1.0. SDKs demand unusual elegance to brass-tack functionality. Thanks for your understanding!
        -Patrick

Comment

Please believe that there are few things more frustrating to us than our inability to take the time to produce a usable public release, one that addresses a good portion of the feedback from this forum and the public issues database. The team is already working overtime -- an understatement -- to meet the needs of the funding sponsors. But we recognize the very real value of your having the code, so we are planning a daily build and release system so that there won't be any lag between our work and yours. We're hiring for that now.

Speaking of hiring, we are looking for an experienced Java and OpenGL engineer to join the team. This is a hard-core design and development job with many tough problems to solve. If you want to put some meat on your resume -- some more meat, that is -- send me a personal message. Since most of the team is in Seattle, we're hoping to find someone local. But we'll relax this requirement for someone with really strong skills and experience.

Comment

Patrick, Tag, thank you very much for these details, these are good news in deed!

Patrick, could you be more specific about what kind of support you are looking for? Are you talking about funding? Man-power? I can't say for my company, but I would be willing to help in any way I can, beyond an extra pair of eyes on the project's code.

Thank you again for this feedback. It's really appreciated.

Chiss!

Comment

$$$$

Comment

A build server is a great start, we have been asking for this and a public repositry since the Java version was started, I know you have a small group and a limited budget, but .Net had a smaller group and less funding but still managed to use SVN, I'm sure the community would be willing to help set up and maintain a public code repositry, we already do a pretty good job managing the forums and wiki IMHO.
                Bull_[UK]

Comment

Originally posted by bull View Post
                  A build server is a great start, we have been asking for this and a public repositry since the Java version was started, I know you have a small group and a limited budget, but .Net had a smaller group and less funding but still managed to use SVN, I'm sure the community would be willing to help set up and maintain a public code repositry, we already do a pretty good job managing the forums and wiki IMHO.
                  +1
                  ~ just a programmer ~

Comment

Isn't having a visible svn repo the point of an open source project?
                    Seems to me that the developer day spent setting up an svn repository will be easily made up with bug fixes and patches submitted back by the community!

But I know that depending on where the funding comes from, such logic doesn't necessarily go over well with management.

Comment

We know all that... it is coming
                      My World Wind Java Blog & WW.net Plugins page

Comment

I was looking for something similar and this software comes near by to my requirement. I m working on EPC World News.

Comment

Working...
                        X