Worldwind offline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worldwind offline

I need a mapping solution that is able to work disconnected from the Internet, and therefore source its map data from a local server. Since I am just starting to look at WorldWind as a possible solution, I was wondering if this is possible? And if it is, how may that be done.

Thanks!

Just have all your data offline and local to where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Hogan View Post
      Just have all your data offline and local to where you are.
      Ok, but how is that done with WorldWind? if I download Landsat map data and store it on a drive on my local computer, for example, how can I serve that up for WorldWind to use? I looked into the WorldWind Server (http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/java/server/readme.html) but the guide at that link is basically unusable since almost everything in it does not work (broken links, no server files available in the latest 2.0 version, references paths and config file details do not exist, etc). I tried to follow the guide with an older version (1.5.1), which includes server files, but even that is still not in line with the server setup guide.

Comment

There is no WWJ server as far as i know, now, unless you build one on your own, using apache/tomcat/mapserver or so. If you are offline, WWJ will automatically use tiles dowloaded before and stored on C:/.../WorldWindData or use a default globe image if you've never never been connected to Internet. The simpliest way i see to use WWJ offline is to use it...online, surf around the places you want, to download tiles, toggle on the layers you want, zoom and wait for everything downloaded, then quit, unplug your internet and restart. I'm not even sure you have to setOffline(true), you may have a 'No network' label in the status bar and that's it. The "WorldWindData" path can be changed by a system variable, AFAIR, it is ALLUSERSPROFILE, you can set before running WWJ, i personnaly use :
        set ALLUSERSPROFILE=F:\WWCACHE
        This can be of course an external big common disk, in a company network, using NFS, NTFS or whatever.
        BTW, you can search 'offline' in the forum, to get more info.
        Welcome.
        Last edited by frenchy; 04-07-2016, 03:32 PM.

Comment

You say there is no worldwind server, but the link I posted in the previous reply is to a nava.gov website that is titled "NASA World Wind Server". It is a WMS server. And the page appears to explain how to set it up for use so that you can serve your own map data. However, like I said, the instructions are misleading... the download link points to a current version of worldwind, which does not have any server resources... the older 1.5.1 worldwind does have server files, but they do not seem to work as the instructions say they should.

I don't think caching will work for me, because I need to be able to have map data for any part of the earth at any time. And if I have to constantly surf areas to get data I need, that may be inconvenient. It would be nicer to instead load map data at the server when I need more data. I think your recommendation to build my own (apache/mapsever) is probably what I will need to do.

Comment

Worldwind offline

Dougec,

We had your exact problem requiring a mapping solution offline. We built this set of scripts to have a repeatable offline solution. We continue to use Ubuntu 14.04 and WorldWind 1.5.1 for hosting our maps. The solution can be built directly on hardware or can be put into a virtual machine (Virtualbox, VMware, etc). The starting point is a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04 and then run the installation scripts which should pull from internet sources to build the server and provide some initial data sources such as Blue Marble Earth and SRTM elevation. The notes on github will point you to the file locations where your data can be placed. You'll likely need to search these boards to build the XML to serve your data.

Worldwind server is an adventure, so be prepared for some setbacks, but ultimately the information you'll need is buried in these forums or other internet help sites. Good luck!

http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.04/ -- recommended Ubuntu version
            https://github.com/apwiggins/wwsetup -- installation scripts for Ubuntu
            http://forum.worldwindcentral.com/sh...s-Ubuntu-14-04 -- recommended install scripts for Ubuntu
            http://forum.worldwindcentral.com/sh...r-Ubuntu-14-04 -- scripts built for WW2.0.0, but we haven't tested these extensively

Originally posted by Dougec View Post
            I need a mapping solution that is able to work disconnected from the Internet, and therefore source its map data from a local server. Since I am just starting to look at WorldWind as a possible solution, I was wondering if this is possible? And if it is, how may that be done.

Thanks!

Comment

Earth is the great topic for many scientists since in the beginning of time. Every human being want to know the about the earth and for this there are many tools available which provide us amazing information about the earth LiteBlue
              Last edited by Lambert375; 06-12-2019, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I am using global mapper and it is a development tool not a server.
                In regards to interest in Earth it is simply is not there. Ask EarthX company who recently to build a business off of that and failed. Even the temp interest of US Govt and Europe Space Agency was not enough to save WorldWind. A few scientists who have commercial tools is not enough to sustain you.
                If you ever use tools to download nearly a TB of data? Nope that does not work the tool usually breaks or crashes after a period of time.

Just the harsh reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougec View Post
                  You say there is no worldwind server, but the link I posted in the previous reply is to a nava.gov website that is titled "NASA World Wind Server". It is a WMS server. And the page appears to explain how to set it up for use so that you can serve your own map data. However, like I said, the instructions are misleading... the download link points to a current version of worldwind, which does not have any server resources... the older 1.5.1 worldwind does have server files, but they do not seem to work as the instructions say they should.

I don't think caching will work for me, because I need to be able to have map data for any part of the earth at any time. And if I have to constantly surf areas to get data I need, that may be inconvenient. It would be nicer to instead load map data at the server when I need more data. I think your recommendation to build my own (apache/mapsever) is probably what I will need to do.
                  Thanks for sharing Mymorri

Comment

Originally posted by Lambert375 View Post
                    Earth is the great topic for many scientists since in the beginning of time. Every human being want to know the about the earth and for this there are many tools available which provide us amazing information about the earthTcsWebmail
                    LiteBlue
                    Upsers
                    he great topic for many scientists since in the beginning of time. Every human being want to know the about the earth and for this there are many tools available which provide us amazing information about the earth
                    MyKFCExperience

Comment

Thanks for sharing this helpful solution Mysainsburys

Comment

Thanking you..ASDA Total Package

Comment

I have never thought about the offline. Now I knew. Thanks for sharing the question and the answer from the commentors. Geometry Dash Unblocked

Comment

With our mobile service, we guarantee quick and efficient response times to your location, ensuring minimal downtime and uninterrupted operations.
                            on site truck repair

Comment

Worldwind is a pretty cool app, I'm experimenting with it too connect 4

Comment

Working...
                              X