World Wind iOS: Work-in-progress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Wind iOS: Work-in-progress

iOS code repository is very dynamic. 'Official' release should be sometime after mid-May. Meanwhile, you are free to access the code and discuss your ideas. But don't count on our development team for any support, they are fully distracted and unable to comment until after the release.
    http://worldwind31.arc.nasa.gov/svn/trunk/WorldWindIOS/
    Last edited by Patrick Hogan; 04-17-2013, 02:28 AM.

That sounds real exciting for anyone that owns or intends to buy an iphone, otherwise ...

And the link works! Thanks
    Last edited by Patrick Hogan; 04-17-2013, 02:27 AM.
    Neil
    http://www.nlneilson.com

Comment

Patrick,

Wondering about the status of the iOS "official" release. We are very curious about an iOS version of World Wind.

Thanks,
      Rob

Comment

The World Wind iOS code SVN link (official release very soon):
        http://worldwind31.arc.nasa.gov/svn/trunk/WorldWindIOS/
        You will find a basic app in there too, all ready to download layers from any WMS server.
        Let us know what you think. . .
        Last edited by Patrick Hogan; 07-13-2013, 03:38 AM.

Comment

iOS / apache tile server

Hi there First I wanted to say incredible work!!

I was wondering how to display services from my apache tile server. Are any of the included classes a good example of how to view them within the app?

I.E. MetarLayer.m?

Any hints are much appreciated !!

Thanks!

Comment

Apache tile service layers iOS

Hello I wanted to say excellent work!!

Also I was hoping to find an example of a tileservice implemented in the iOS version. Is the MetarLayer.m a good example of how to implement an apache tile service?

Thanks again!

Comment

Hi Patrick,
              I downloaded and ran the iOS project, and it is looking very promising! However, I've been trying for a few days to create a new project that uses the libWorldWind.a library by following the instructions at http://goworldwind.org/world-wind-ios. Near the top of the page there is a discussion of using a "workspace", but at the bottom of the page it talks about creating a "Single View Application" project "in a sibling directory to the top-level World Wind directory". I must not be understanding something because as I follow the rest of the instructions when I get to removing the entries from the "Compile Sources section of the Build Phases tab" there are only a few entries (none of the ones listed).

Any additional instructions/pointers on setting up a new project in XCode that uses the WorldWind library would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
              Rob

Comment

Patrick... just a follow-up. I created a copy of the entire workspace. I then followed the instructions at goworldwind.org. After adding a reference to the WorldWind library and figuring out the Search Path settings I was able to get the project running. Thanks for access to the API! We're excited about the possibilities as additional capabilities are added!

Comment

Are you guys working on making the changes to support iOS 7? I haven't downloaded the code for a couple of weeks, but the last version I downloaded has a number of methods that Xcode complains about if I set the "Deployment Target" to 7.0 (but if I set the target to 6.0 everything works).

Also, I am using my own animation classes to move objects over the globe. The notes in the WorldWindView class say that the navigator classes should be used for manipulating the globe. But I don't see any exposed methods for directly setting the position (I do see methods for heading, tilt and roll). I do see "animateTo..." some position in both navigator types. For now I'm using the "animateTo..." method and setting an "overDuration" of 0. But there's got to be a more efficient method.

Finally, do you know if the transposition of x,y coordinates different than in WWJ? It seems our heading settings don't produce what we expect... seems to be 90 degrees different from what we get in Java. So far haven't quite figured it out.

So far we're only loading spheres and paths over the globe. But the performance seems really good.

Thanks,
                  Rob
                  Last edited by RAM357; 10-15-2013, 12:35 AM.

Comment

I've noticed that if I setExtrude=true on a path that the curtain is only visible from 1 side of the path. Also, are there any settings that will help to smooth the appearance of path objects (anti-aliasing, etc)?

Thanks

Comment

Rob, Here are answers to the five issues you brought up regarding WWiOS:

iOS 7 Support
                      Yes, we updated WWiOS to resolve iOS 7 deprecation warnings on October 1, 2013.

Navigator and Object Animations
                      It's unclear whether you're talking about animating shapes, the navigator, or both. Please clarify what you're trying to do, and we'll be glad to help you determine appropriate next steps.

WWiOS currently does not provide built-in support for animating shapes, but this is possible to do by modifying a shape's properties and redrawing the WorldWindView from a CADisplayLink. The WWiOS WWNavigator protocol provides methods for animating from one position to another, and the concrete navigator classes WWLookAtNavigator and WWFirstPersonNavigator provide additional methods for animating position, heading, tilt, and roll. Note that WWiOS is configured to use WWLookAtNavigator by default.

Navigator Heading
                      The coordinate systems in WWJ and WWiOS are identical. I just tested heading settings on both the WWJ View and the WWiOS Navigator, and verified that the results are the same. Would you please share the code that you're using to affect heading changes?

Extruded and Paths
                      Path's extrude property should enable the curtain to be visible from both sides. We'll look into this.

Shape Smoothing
                      Anti-aliasing is not available in the OpenGL ES graphics library used on iOS and Android. One solution to reduce an aliased appearance is to enable the WorldWindView to display at retina resolution. See WorldWindExamples/ViewController.m line 325. Note that we have not yet performed any optimization work on WWiOS to resolve retina resolution performance bottlenecks.
                      Dave
                      WW Team

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply!

iOS 7 Support
                        I downloaded the code today, but when I attempt to build in release mode I still get 16 "issues" in the WorldWindExamples project related to things that have been deprecated in iOS 7. Am I doing something wrong?

Navigator and Object Animations
                        I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I have created my own classes to animate objects. But as a separate issue I'm trying to figure out the best way to set the WorldWindView properties... to use my animation classes to move the WorldWindView. I am currently using the WWFirstPersonNavigator class's implementation of "animateToEyePosition" with an "overDuration" value of 0. I would like to be able to set the WorldWindView properties directly and not use the "animate" method of the navigators, but I don't see how to do this.

Navigator Heading
                        I need to look into this more in order to understand clearly what I'm doing and why it seems to differ from our implementation of WWJ. I'll get back with you on this.

Extruded and Paths
                        Thank you.

Shape Smoothing
                        We will experiment with you suggestion. Thanks!

Comment

I would also like to ask your thoughts about the best approach to load 3D models. In WWJ we are loading OBJ files and applying textures. In reading articles/forums about 3D models for iOS I keep coming across discussions about the POD format being the most efficient for OpenGL ES. I don't know anything about this, but I'm wanting to either find a 3rd party 3D model loader or write something ourselves. As we begin down this path I'm just hoping that you guys have thought about loading 3D models and may have determined an approach/model format that you feel will work well with WWIOS.

Comment

Just a heads up. The Public SVN server at http://worldwind31.arc.nasa.gov/svn/ is back in sync with the daily builds server.

Please note, it was stuck on revision 1558 (August) for awhile and was just synced to today, now at revision 1690. This covers a lot of iOS based updates so please give it a try.
                            -Randy

Comment

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the update! I downloaded the latest build this morning (which was reported as 1694). I see the new TAIGA project… will be interesting to review!

I did want to mention that if you change the "Deployment Target" (in TARGETS -> General tab) to 7.0 then there are 15 deprecation warnings when you build. These refer to methods that have been deprecated in iOS 7.0.

Thanks again for the update!

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X