Developing NASA's mission software with Java

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing NASA's mission software with Java

I read the article but I don't understand what the Netbeans Platform buys you guys. There was a lot of praise in the article but I didn't really get the why. What do you get from NB Platform that you don't get with Java/The SDK/JavaFX?

I recently completed a 6 month development effort with JavaFX (sat com ground station health and status app) and I loved it. We also used WorldWind for heat map / coverage analysis. As a fan of JavaFX, I'm concerned about the low adoption rate. Eclipse being SWT based, IntelliJ/Netbeans/World Wind being Swing based, etc. I know it just recently became production ready with JavaFX 8 but still. What are your thoughts on Java GUI frameworks in general? More the merrier, competition is good? Is JavaFX really the future? etc..
    english news capread
    Last edited by gammy13; 08-27-2019, 12:23 PM.

Congrads on finishing your app! I used JavaFX a long time ago and bypassed NetBeans. Seemed just a plug by that group. Eclipse just had the libraries for browser capability. Basically seems swing and JavaFX are dead and Oracle charges a license fee so that really finished off a lot of people building java desktop apps. OpenJDK focused on Linux not windows so not sure if they picked up the java windows jre. Be interested to see if the "new" NASA WorldWind group picks up where the last one left off.

Comment

What role does Java play in the NASA mission software you develop?

Slope unblocked is ideal for those who enjoy endless running games and can become addicted to them after a short period of time. This game was made for the masses, with the goal of keeping players hooked for days at a time.

Nick: Java is the glue that ties our legacy software capabilities together, and provides a cross-platform modular framework for a collection of unrelated tools and capabilities via the NetBeans platform.

Sean H: Java has provided a user interface on top of a set of numerical analysis and physics simulation tools. The tools typically require a subject matter expert to operate properly; with Java in the loop, this knowledge has been captured and implemented for general use by non-technical personnel.

Comment

As i know one engineer is Nick said that: So far Java performance has never been a bottleneck. Most of our bottlenecks that exist have to do with data bandwidth limits, and legacy software speed. One of the unique requirements is that we must use accredited software. This means that we canít just pull in third-party JAR files at will, but we can use anything already contained within the JDK.
        Also fleeing the complex is a great escape game.

Comment

How to Developing NASA's mission software with Java? as Sean P: Java enables me to deliver solutions that are cross-platform , performant and intuitive all at a low cost for the software development life cycle. Like Nick said the Java ecosystem makes integrating the existing legacy tools straight forward while JavaFX and death run 3d allow for modern reusable attractive interfaces.
          Death Run 3D is a thrilling first-person running game in which you will have to run in a neon tunnel and avoid all obstacles to try to get the highest score.

Comment

As I know JavaFX is a Java library used to build Rich Internet Applications. Applications developed using JavaFX can run on a variety of devices such as desktops, mobile phones, TVs, tablets, etc.
            Hope you are successful with this stickman boost project.

Comment

Working...
            X