Does JOGL have future?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does JOGL have future?

I am hesitating on using WWJ as I don't know if jogl has bright future ?
    Does Oracle/sun support JOGL?
    Can jogl keep up with OpenGL?
    I like Java,but I still doubt about the preformance of jogl .

help me.

WWJ works well, althou it's not the fastest rendering framework, however I suspect that WWJ will switch to some new release in the future, like LWJGL. This is needed to take advantage of the new shaders that are out there and make it possible to connect to OpenCL for large calculations on the gpu.

I've suggested this switch awhile ago, but it has not yet been implemented. But I still keep my fingers crossed
    Torbjörn Härje
    Swedish Defence Research Agency (FOI)
    Linköping, Sweden

Comment

Originally posted by torhar View Post
      WWJ works well, althou it's not the fastest rendering framework, however I suspect that WWJ will switch to some new release in the future, like LWJGL. This is needed to take advantage of the new shaders that are out there and make it possible to connect to OpenCL for large calculations on the gpu.

I've suggested this switch awhile ago, but it has not yet been implemented. But I still keep my fingers crossed
      Keep my fingers crossed for WWJ's high performance.

Comment

You should look at Java Monkey Engine for some true speed http://jmonkeyengine.org/ it's built on top of LWJGL and you will be amazed the speed is truely awsome for being non native code.
        Torbjörn Härje
        Linköping, Sweden

Comment

It would be great if a group ported WWJ to C++.
          Neil
          http://www.nlneilson.com

Comment

I would say that it's a good thing that WW is made in java, there are plenty of C++ frameworks allready available. Java also simplifies the development of certain apps and not to forget the portability issue with C++

However speed is an issue with WWJ, so a switch to a newer opengl binding is needed. preferably LWJGL.
            Torbjörn Härje
            Linköping, Sweden

Comment

Originally posted by torhar View Post
              ... and not to forget the portability issue with C++
              Are you under the impression that Java is more portable than C++?

Maybe it is and I just did not realize that fact.
              Neil

Comment

Well as long as everything is pure java then theres little problem getting it running on any system with a JVM, when native code is needed you will have to package these .lib or .so files with the distribution for each operatingsystem intended for use.

A nice thing with java is the java web start feature, very usefull and can used correctly disitribute applications smothly.
                Torbjörn Härje
                Linköping, Sweden

Comment

Java is easier to program and the java web start is good.

But the rendering is done in native OGL with the java interface jogl.

My display uses the java version of WW but all the heavy lifting and controls have been ported to C++. I don't use java web start.

An app can be distributed as an app. To web start an app is a convenient short cut but for speed and reliability in some instances all native code would be hard to beat.
                  Neil

Comment

Well then you would be happy to know that the WW team will most likely be porting to C++ in the future to provide support to mobile devices.

I'm a Java guy and I cringe everytime somebody suggests converting part of an app to a different language because i feel that adds complexity to the development and update environment.

Both Java and C++ have their pros/cons and you may soon have a choice between the two.
                    Last edited by heidtmare; 03-14-2012, 09:38 PM.
                  Working...
                  X