Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torhar View Post
    You dont say
    What do you mean? Only JMonkeyEngine 1 has a single renderer not based on JOGL. JMonkeyEngine 2 has 2 renderers based on 2 dictinct libraries to access OpenGL in Java including JOGL and JMonkeyEngine 3.0 has at least 6 renderers including 2 based on JOGL (one for the fixed pipeline, one for the programmable pipeline). Ardor3D 0.9 has 3 renderers and JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation has a single renderer based on JOGL. Therefore, your remark about JMonkeyEngine is right only for its very first version which is no longer used and maintained for about 10 years but it is completely wrong for all other versions used and maintained since at least 2004 and for all versions of Ardor3D except private forks.

Moreover, it's possible to get mobile support without porting WWJ to C++ as JogAmp (JOGL, JOCL, JOAL) supports Android too.

The developers here shouldn't underestimate the difficulties of maintaining a set of Java bindings especially when it must work with other standard Java APIs.

Yes, I don't forget the topic. Of course, JogAmp has a bright future (without Oracle).

Comment

Originally posted by gouessej View Post
      What do you mean? Only JMonkeyEngine 1 has a single renderer not based on JOGL. JMonkeyEngine 2 has 2 renderers based on 2 dictinct libraries to access OpenGL in Java including JOGL and JMonkeyEngine 3.0 has at least 6 renderers including 2 based on JOGL (one for the fixed pipeline, one for the programmable pipeline). Ardor3D 0.9 has 3 renderers and JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation has a single renderer based on JOGL. Therefore, your remark about JMonkeyEngine is right only for its very first version which is no longer used and maintained for about 10 years but it is completely wrong for all other versions used and maintained since at least 2004 and for all versions of Ardor3D except private forks.

Moreover, it's possible to get mobile support without porting WWJ to C++ as JogAmp (JOGL, JOCL, JOAL) supports Android too.

The developers here shouldn't underestimate the difficulties of maintaining a set of Java bindings especially when it must work with other standard Java APIs.

Yes, I don't forget the topic. Of course, JogAmp has a bright future (without Oracle).
      I meant nothing special, it was just that your comment seem to be a bit Sheldonesque, so I attempted humor to propagate the fact that this thread is over 2 yeras old and alot of things has changed during that period of time. I dont want to start a flame war, but there are more important things than this thread.
      Torbjörn Härje
      Swedish Defence Research Agency (FOI)
      Linköping, Sweden

Comment

Originally posted by torhar View Post
        I meant nothing special, it was just that your comment seem to be a bit Sheldonesque, so I attempted humor to propagate the fact that this thread is over 2 yeras old and alot of things has changed during that period of time. I dont want to start a flame war, but there are more important things than this thread.
        What you wrote here about Java based engines was already wrong 4 years ago. It was still wrong 2 years ago and it is still wrong today. Several things haven't changed, JOGL has never been abandoned (Oracle left the project). This isn't a question of opinion, this is a fact, you wrote that switching to another library was "needed to take advantage of the new shaders that are out there and make it possible to connect to OpenCL for large calculations on the gpu" in 2012 which was completely wrong because JOGL and JOCL were already able to support those things at that time. You're free to have your own opinion about OpenGL in Java but spreading wrong information about JOGL isn't the best way to argue and then you should expect some resistance from some JogAmp contributors.

This is a fact, the JOGL renderer of JMonkeyEngine 2.0 already existed in 2009:
        https://code.google.com/p/jmonkeyeng...LRenderer.java

This is a fact, Ardor3D has supported JOGL from the beginning:
        https://github.com/Renanse/Ardor3D/c...31de19f312ec54
        https://github.com/Renanse/Ardor3D/t...r/ardor3d-jogl

Any famous open source Java based 3D engine cannot lack of a JOGL renderer as if it does, I implement it or I propose my help. If you need some information about any JogAmp APIs and supported engines, feel free to read our wiki, our user's guide, our numerous tutorials, don't hesitate to contact us, it would be a lot better than posting false affirmations about our APIs and it doesn't prevent you from having your own opinion. It would avoid a useless flame war and then well informed people can make wise decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by gouessej View Post
          What you wrote here about Java based engines was already wrong 4 years ago. It was still wrong 2 years ago and it is still wrong today. Several things haven't changed, JOGL has never been abandoned (Oracle left the project). This isn't a question of opinion, this is a fact, you wrote that switching to another library was "needed to take advantage of the new shaders that are out there and make it possible to connect to OpenCL for large calculations on the gpu" in 2012 which was completely wrong because JOGL and JOCL were already able to support those things at that time. You're free to have your own opinion about OpenGL in Java but spreading wrong information about JOGL isn't the best way to argue and then you should expect some resistance from some JogAmp contributors.

This is a fact, the JOGL renderer of JMonkeyEngine 2.0 already existed in 2009:
          https://code.google.com/p/jmonkeyeng...LRenderer.java

This is a fact, Ardor3D has supported JOGL from the beginning:
          https://github.com/Renanse/Ardor3D/c...31de19f312ec54
          https://github.com/Renanse/Ardor3D/t...r/ardor3d-jogl

Any famous open source Java based 3D engine cannot lack of a JOGL renderer as if it does, I implement it or I propose my help. If you need some information about any JogAmp APIs and supported engines, feel free to read our wiki, our user's guide, our numerous tutorials, don't hesitate to contact us, it would be a lot better than posting false affirmations about our APIs and it doesn't prevent you from having your own opinion. It would avoid a useless flame war and then well informed people can make wise decisions.
          Well then I can't do anything else than to thank you for so wisely pointing out the flaws in my reasoning but for the moment I'm not working with worldwind as I moved on from Electronic Warfare division to SCADA security, but thanks again for your correct information.
          Torbjörn Härje
          Swedish Defence Research Agency (FOI)
          Linköping, Sweden

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...
            X