Inadequate graphics support in VMware Workstation Pro 14 for WWJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inadequate graphics support in VMware Workstation Pro 14 for WWJ

I'm trying to run WorldWind Java in VMware Workstation Pro 14 with a Windows 10 guest. JOGL is reporting that:

javax.media.opengl.GLException: DXTn compressed textures not supported by this graphics card
    at com.jogamp.opengl.util.texture.Texture.c heckCompressedTextureExtensions(Texture. java:1110)

The GL capabilities are being filled in with:

glRuntimeCaps GLRuntimeCapabilities (id=83)
    depthBits 24
    glVersion 3.0
    isAnisotropicTextureFilterAvailable true
    isAnisotropicTextureFilterEnabled true
    isFramebufferObjectAvailable true
    isFramebufferObjectEnabled false
    isVertexBufferObjectAvailable true
    isVertexBufferObjectEnabled true
    isVMwareSVGA3D true
    maxTextureAnisotropy 16.0
    maxTextureSize 16384
    numTextureUnits 8

and 'glview' from Realtech reports that the VM is supporting 100% of OpenGL 3.0. The Blue Marble layer doesn't display, and neither does the world map. See attached.

Is there some configuration setting that can be changed to allow WWJ to run in VMware?

'glview' for the VMware guest reports only "GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc", while for the host it reports:

GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1

GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc

GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc

GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc

And I've configured the computer using the Nvidia control panel to use the Nvidia processor for all applications. The host computer is running Windows 10.

Comment

This is something I've dealt with quite a bit at work. The software emulation your vm is running may support 100% of CORE gl3.0 but the s3tc extension is just that, an extension. The good news for you is that there are options. The software patent on that compression has expired and it is now integrated into Mesa3D. This project on github, https://github.com/pal1000/mesa-dist-win has pretty recent builds of mesa for windows, and this guy (https://fdossena.com/?p=mesa/index.frag) builds a program called MesaInjector so that you do not have to drop the mesa libraries into Windows/System32 or SysWow64. Last time I looked vmware is just shipping a pretty old version of mesa (12.x?) with their stuff.

You can use their pre-built stuff or follow their instructions and build it yourself. Be aware that if you are trying to build 64-bit mesa it may still be difficult. I didn't get too in depth here so if you have more questions feel free to ask.

On another note, unless you specifically have it set up on your Host to allow PCI passthrough, your guest cant see or use your gpu. Admittedly this may be different now as it has been a few years for me since configuring vmware systems.

Comment

Thanks very much for the tip. I've updated the Mesa drivers in my Windows 10 VM, and it's working now!
        I used the "systemwidedeploy.cmd", and selected in turn:

2. Desktop OpenGL drivers (softpipe, llvmpipe and swr drivers);
        3. Mesa3D off-screen render driver gallium version (osmesa gallium);
        5. Mesa3D graw framework with display support (graw gdi);

I'm not sure exactly which of these is the minimum necessary.

Comment

Installing the latest Mesa drivers allows WWJ to run in VirtualBox, as well.

Comment

There's a complication using the OpenGL software drivers in VirtualBox. One needs to uncheck 'Enable 3D Acceleration' in the VM settings (which didn't work, anyway).

GitHub is where people build software. More than 28 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 85 million projects.

Comment

Working...
            X