This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to setup WWJ

Some information for WWJ newbies, gathered here because I thought it would be nice to have everything here:

Introduction
    WorldWindJava is a Java API aimed at visualizing 3D globes. It uses language features only found in Java 5.0 and later, but you may want to use Java 6.0, as 5.0 is reaching its end-of-life period, and Java 7.0 is on the way.

WWJ depends on JOGL, a library that exposes the OpenGL API to the Java language. JOGL is one part Java, one part native code, and to work properly it needs the native libraries that make the "glue" between Java and the OpenGL driver for your OS and hardware. The platforms currently supported by JOGL are:
    • Windows x86 32bits and 64bits
    • Linux x86 32bits and 64bits
    • MacOSX
    • Solaris x86 32bits and 64bits
    • Solaris SPARC 32bits and 64bits

WWJ currently does not use cutting edge OpenGL features, so unless you are using some very old hardware, you should not have compatibility problems. However, one notable feature used is the DXTn compressed texture: although its name comes from the DirectX world, it is an ARB extension, that is available on most graphic cards. As far as I know, this feature is however not available on any 3D accelerator for SPARC workstations. So if you are using a Solaris SPARC box, you are out of luck, sorry.

If your hardware is less than four years old, and is not SPARC based, and if WWJ does not work as it should (ie: crashing, not displaying textures, ...) then chances are that the problem is in your OS and/or drivers, and not in WWJ (well, according to my experience, your mileage may vary).

Note for posters: if you are requesting help from this forum because WWJ doesn't work on your PC, do not forget to describe your hardware, the OS you are using, the Java runtime version you are using (type "java -version" in the command line), and the WWJ version you are using.

Launching examples via the command line
    Let's see how you can launch a WWJ example via the command line. All you need is a Java Runtime properly installed, and the WWJ SDK unzipped to the place of your choice. For this example we will use "HelloWorldWind" that you can find in the "gov.nasa.worldwind.examples" package.

On Linux
    Code:
    java -Xmx512m -cp worldwind.jar:gluegen-rt.jar:jogl.jar gov.nasa.worldwind.examples.HelloWorldWind
    The -Xmx flag is there to specify that the JVM is allowed to use up to 512Mb of heap. You should not need more than this amount, unless your application is huge, or you have a very nasty memory leak (yes, there are memory leaks in Java).

On Windows
    Code:
    java -Xmx512m -cp worldwind.jar;gluegen-rt.jar;jogl.jar gov.nasa.worldwind.examples.HelloWorldWind
    Same as before, only using ";" instead of ":". If there are strange display problems, you may try to add the "-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true" flag that disables any usage of Direct3D acceleration for Java2D.

Advanced: using another JOGL version
    Now let's imagine you have downloaded a newer version of JOGL, and that you want to use it instead of the one provided in the WWJ zip.
    Let's say you unzipped the JOGL zip somewhere, and that you created an environment variable called JOGL_HOME that points to the directory that contains the JOGL Jars and native libraries.
    Now the command line would be:
    Code:
    java -Xmx512m -cp worldwind.jar:$JOGL_HOME/gluegen-rt.jar:$JOGL_HOME/jogl.jar -Djava.library.path=$JOGL_HOME gov.nasa.worldwind.examples.HelloWorldWind
    The "-Djava.library.path" flag tells the JVM where to find native libraries. The syntax after the "=" sign is the same as for LD_LIBRARY_PATH. If the dynamic linker complains it cannot find one of the shared libraries, add the JOGL path to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH too.
    Note: this is for Linux, but it is quite similar for Windows, RTFM.

Configuring Eclipse
    I am using Eclipse 3.3.2 on Ubuntu using either OpenJDK or SUN's JDK.

General configuration
    Go to "Window->Preferences", and in the Preferences window, navigate to "Java->Compiler", and check that the "Compiler compliance level" option is at least "5.0". I am using "6.0".

Creating a WWJ project
    If you want to explore WWJ to see how it works, you can create a project with WWJ sources. Clic on "File->New->Java Project", choose "Create project from existing sources" and fill in the path to the WWJ root directory. I prefer to use "Create separate folders for sources and class files" but you can do as you like.

Now click "Next".
    Eclipse should be clever enough to find everything. You should however correct a few things in the "Libraries" tab:
    First remove the two JARs BasicDemo.jar and worldwind.jar (else classes would be twice in your classpath).
    Then expand the jogl.jar entry, click on "Native library location", then on the "Edit..." button, then enter the directory where the native libraries are. In our case, as we are using the JOGL provided with WWJ, it is the root of our project. You can either enter the name of your project or choose by clicking on the "Workspace..." button. It should look like this:

Now click "Finish".
    If there is no red marker on your project (and the "Problems" window is empty) then everything compiled without problem. Navigate to the "gov.nasa.worldwind.examples" in the "Package Explorer" window, right click on the "HelloWorldWind.java" file, choose "Run As->Java Application".
    And it should work ;-)

Creating a project for your application
    If you want to create your own application, based on WWJ, it is a very good idea to create a new project, and to keep the "WWJ" project (that we created just a few lines back) untouched. That way it will be easier to cope with the next WWJ version and its load of surprises.
    So click on "File->New->Java Project", fill in your project name, click on "Next", and then in the "Projects" tab, add the "WWJ" project as a dependency. Click on "Finish" and start coding :-)

If there are classpath problems check on the "WWJ" project properties that the JARs are exported for dependent projects: in the "Package Explorer" window, right-click on the "WWJ" project, choose "Properties", navigate to the "Java Build Path" entry, and in the "Order and Export" tab, check that the jogl and gluegen jars are ticked.

Now if you have to make a modification into a WWJ file, copy that file into your project (changing the package is a good idea), and change the configuration file in order to make WWJ use your class. This is sometimes problematic, as this often involves copying a lot of WWJ classes, the WWJ SDK being not as flexible as it pretends to be, but at least when the next WWJ version will come out, your application should still be working with your modifications, and by just modifying your configuration file, you would be able to see how it works with the new WWJ.

Configuring NetBeans
    To do... by someone who uses NetBeans ;-)
    Last edited by Hervé; 08-30-2008, 05:24 PM.

It's good you are posting this, it should be a big help for many.

I downloaded another copy of the source and tried this:
    Code:
    neil@neil:~/WorldWind/WWJ-5$ java -Xmx512m -cp worldwind.jar:gluegen-rt.jar:jogl.jar gov.nasa.worldwind.examples.HelloWorldWind
    Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no gluegen-rt in java.library.path
    There are several things in your post I will try in Eclipse.

Toshiba A105 Notebook, Intel dual core CPU, XP sps3 (WWJ runs fine there) Ubuntu 8.04, 2GB mem, 320GB hdd, Intel 945G video, Eclipse 3.2.2
    Last edited by nlneilson; 08-30-2008, 07:55 PM.
    Neil
    http://www.nlneilson.com

Comment

I agree this is a nice post for newbies... May I suggest you find/create a place in the WWJ wiki page as well?

http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Java

Chiss!

Comment

Got something working in Linux.
        Attached Files
        Neil

Comment

Thanks Hervé, very useful contribution. I made the thread stick, but this should definitely go into the WWC wiki.
          My World Wind Java Blog & WW.net Plugins page

Comment

Been working on some WWJava applet tutorials myself:

http://earthissquare.com/2008/08/06/...to-a-web-page/
            http://earthissquare.com/2008/08/10/...to-a-location/
            http://earthissquare.com/2008/08/13/...bel-thy-earth/

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

How to setup WWJ

Hi,

The examples on launching WWJ in a web page is great, but, I am unable to successfully do that. I get unsatisfiedlinkerrors..Are there any steps missing? Do we need to sign all the jars? Could you please elaborate further as I am trying to setup a web application with WWJ applet on a html frame.

Thanks, Suma.

Comment

I have been using Eclipse. Post #1 did not have the configuration for NetBeans so I decided to try in order to help individuals (including myself).

I was able to pull the project from Eclipse and get it to run in NetBeans but this post will concern just the configuration in NetBeans 6.5.

Trying to follow this to set it up there are things that need to be done or clarified.
                http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki...n_NetBeans_IDE

1. The characters that are not UTF-8 need to be deleted even though they are in the comments, that is straight forward, just click on the errors and it will take you to them.

2. From the above link "In the Swing/AWT Components Palette Manager". In NB 6.5 it is just AWT rather than Swing/AWT or Swing AWT.

3. "Create a helper class ..." That is: File->New File->Java Class
                Name the file "WWHelper" and it will add the .java extension. The file contents should look like it does in the link.

4. "Run->Clean and Build Main Project" gives this error:
                " ... WorldWindow.java file does not contain class WorldWindow"
                That file has
                Code:
                public interface WorldWindow extends AVList
                I don't know what the problem is there.

http://forum.worldwindcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=20768
                Originally posted by kikigey89 View Post
                first of all, after 3 months of problems with NetBeans IDE I tried Eclipse... and in 5 minutes of using Eclipse everything worked with my annotations
                Apparently somebody that knows NetBeans needs to get involved in a current tutorial.
                Last edited by nlneilson; 12-07-2008, 07:32 PM.
                Neil

Comment

http://wiki.netbeans.org/HelloWorldWindJavaSDK
                  That was written using release 20070817 0 (WWJ 0.4.0 maybe) and NB 5.5

It will work with WWJ 0.5.0 and NB 6.5 for the worldwind.jar but as shown in that link there is no layer panel or status bar.

Someone that has been using NB for WWJ should explain what they have done.
                  Last edited by nlneilson; 12-08-2008, 09:59 AM.
                  Neil

Comment

Originally posted by nlneilson View Post
                    Someone that has been using NB for WWJ should explain what they have done.
                    Hear hear ! I've answered nlneilson call. I've just updated the Wiki page with the following :

This step by step guide was created with NetBeans 6.x and the 0.5.0 release of the SDK. However, the general principals outlined here should work regardless of the SDK version.

Step 1: Unzip the SDK

Step 2: Open NetBeans and create a New Project using the "Java Application" template. Fill in the required details but uncheck the 'Create Main class' box. Your new project should reside in a clean directory.

Step 3: Rename WorldWind's 'build.xml' to something else (ww_build.xml) and copy all the WorldWind's unzipped content to your NetBeans project folder so that the src folders overlap. You should end up with a folder structure very similar to the WorldWind unzipped folder, plus a 'nbproject' and a 'test' folders. The 'build.xml' file is the one created by NetBeans, not the one that came with the zip (which is why we renamed it earlier).

Step 4: From NetBeans, you will notice that some folders/classes are marked with a red exclamation mark. We now need to tell the project about the required libraries. Right-click your project's node and select 'Properties' (typically the last menu item). Select the 'Libraries' node from the Categories tree and press the 'Add JAR/folder' button on the right. Keeping CTRL down, select the 'gluegen-rt.jar' and 'jogl.jar' that are now inside your project folder. Click 'ok'.

Step 5: At this point, only 2 classes in the '...examples.Applet' package don't compile (still have the red exclamation mark). Go back to the 'Libraries' category like before, but this time you need to add the 'plugin.jar' located in your JDK/jre/lib directory (for example, C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_10\jre\lib\plugin.ja r)

You can now run any of the examples by right-clicking them and selecting 'Run File' from the contextual menu.

Hope this helps,
                    Chiss!

Comment

Thanks Chiss!

I have a problem when done this way.
                      Code:
                      Caused by: java.lang.SecurityException: class "gov.nasa.worldwind.layers.Earth.Marble"'s signer information does not match signer information of other classes in the same package
                      The modified layers give this error but run fine under Eclipse and under NetBeans when the Eclipse project is pulled into NB. This is for java apps, I have not tried it for applets.

edit: I do not get this error with Eclipse under XP, Vista, Linux Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10.
                      Last edited by nlneilson; 12-08-2008, 11:23 PM.
                      Neil

Comment

Hmmm.... Are you signing some JARs and forgetting others? This is what it sounds like... I'm not sure what NetBeans could be doing/not doing in your case... Good luck!

Chiss!

Comment

I am not signing anything.
                          I read the signing information in the Really Big Index
                          http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutor...ybigindex.html
                          I did a Google search for this error, there were many that had this problem with no clear answer on how to solve it.
                          I did not want to get into that now if it could be put off or avoided until later.
                          I looked at some projects I had done several years ago with NB on another computer that had signing files which was done automatically.

After so much time with this problem I decided to just stay with Eclipse. I went into MyDocuments and deleted the NB Project directory. I had tried about 6 times in completely new directories and 2 still remained. Before deleting the last one I tried one more time.

This time it worked without the signing error. And this was a project pulled into NB from Eclipse.

edit: 20+ hours on this problem. Much more time than that trying to run under NB when WWJ 0.3.0 first came out. I had to use Eclipse just to run it.

Somebody needs to know much more about NB to run WWJ by just starting the app in NB than I do.
                          Last edited by nlneilson; 12-14-2008, 02:54 AM.
                          Neil

Comment

That's really weird ! I've been using NetBeans with WWJ since 0.1.0 came out and have not seen this problem at all. I'm doing a desktop application and I've been doing both a stand-alone and a NB platform-based application, no problem. Are you doing applet or webstart-based stuff ?

Chiss!

Comment

I am just trying to run it as an application rather than an applet or webstart.
                              I was able to get the original WWJ code to run but after changing or adding layers I get the signing error.
                              There may be an easy way to just turn off the security manager in NB but I don't know how that can be done.
                              Neil

Comment

Working...
                              X