DDS Plugin for geoserver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDS Plugin for geoserver

I have written a plug in that allows geoserver WMS to serve dds tiles. This avoids WorldWind clients to convert png tiles into dds.
    I've used the "gov.nasa.worldwind.formats.dds.DDSConve rter" class from the WWJ sdk to perform the conversion.

ddsGeoserverPlugin-src.zip

plugin-dds-geoserver.jar

To use it just copy the plugin-dds-geoserver.jar and worldwind.jar from the WWJ sdk into the subdirectory "webapps\geoserver\WEB-INF\lib" of your geoserver installation and restart geoserver.
    Last edited by vash; 05-17-2008, 12:22 AM.
    -Nicolas CASTEL- Thales Alenia Space, Toulouse, France-

Wow

Hey, I still haven't tried it out but it sounds very interesting. Want to join us (GeoServer developers) on the gs-devel mailing list and maybe turn this plugin into a GeoServer community module?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea Aime View Post
      Hey, I still haven't tried it out but it sounds very interesting. Want to join us (GeoServer developers) on the gs-devel mailing list and maybe turn this plugin into a GeoServer community module?
      Hi Andrea, i appreciates your interest. Thanks for the work you're doing on GeoServer which is a wonderful implementation of OGC standards. I will be glad to help you turning my plugin into a GeoServer community module.

Comment

Help me frns wid this...

hey frns i have installed geoserver in the tomcat which is working fine and showing me the data which i have saved in it .But when i try to fetch the data from the mapbuilder software as my client software it is not able to fetch the data.I have modified the xml file and given the server address as follows
        <Server service="OGC:WMS" version="1.1.1" title="OGC:WMS">
        <OnlineResource xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wms?SERVICE=WMS"/>
        </Server>
        what should i do to make it fetch the data frm the server???
        please help frns stuck frm a long time ...

Comment

what is the input to this and what is sample of the request

Vash,
          could you please tell me,
          what is the input to this and what is sample of the WMS request.
          how do we configure the geoserver.??
          Thanks

Originally posted by vash View Post
          I have written a plug in that allows geoserver WMS to serve dds tiles. This avoids WorldWind clients to convert png tiles into dds.
          I've used the "gov.nasa.worldwind.formats.dds.DDSConve rter" class from the WWJ sdk to perform the conversion.

ddsGeoserverPlugin-src.zip

plugin-dds-geoserver.jar

To use it just copy the plugin-dds-geoserver.jar and worldwind.jar from the WWJ sdk into the subdirectory "webapps\geoserver\WEB-INF\lib" of your geoserver installation and restart geoserver.

Comment

You have nothing to configure. If it works properly the plugin add this output format to the WMS getCapabilities :
            Code:
            <Format>image/dds</Format>
            So just make a WMS request requesting this output format. Ex :
            Code:
            http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wms?bbox=-127.61950064999999,23.7351786,-64.08177035,50.592523400000005&styles=&Format=image/dds&request=GetMap&version=1.1.1&layers=topp:states&width=800&height=317&srs=EPSG:4326
            edit : I've just tested the plugin with the last 1.7.2 version and it doesn't work. Please use the 1.6.5 version of geoserver for the moment.
            Last edited by vash; 01-28-2009, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Updated Geoserver Plugin with BIL and DDS support

Hi All,

I have updated the DDS plugin against the latest geoserver SVN code and added a BIL format producer as well based on WCS code. I would welcome feedback and usage notes. I have tested in eclipse using a geoserver SVN build but not in a live environment. The extra dependency added is worldwind.jar which is used for dds production. Give it a whirl and let me know. It can be deployed in the usual copy .jar to geoserver/WEB-INF fashion.

The corresponding geoserver issue with .jar attached can be found here:
              http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-3586

Cheers,

what_nick
              Attached Files
              Last edited by what_nick; 10-14-2009, 12:25 PM.
              Coding This and That in World Wind and helping new people out, as long as they don't pester too much.
              Currently blogging at: http://whatnicklife.blogspot.com
              Working at:
              Aerometrex - http://aerometrex.com.au/blog/
              Impact so far:

Comment

How to configure Geoserver to serve BIL

Hi,

I am trying to use the dds/bil plugin for Geoserver but get some problems. When I choose the output format bil from the Layer preview panel from Geoserver administration, I get a binary file. But when I try to use the WMSBasicElevationModel to render the file from Geoserver, I get some problem due to the instruction "bg=-9999.0d" in the url...

If somebody can explain that and/or give me some infos about how to configure correctly Geoserver, it would be really nice !

Thanks
                Thomas

PS : I am using Geoserver 2.0RC2 with a simple dem file using Geotiff format...

Comment

Hi,

After a lot of research, I copied the file WMSBasicElevationModel and commented the lines which are setting the bg parameter.
                  But after that, I get another problem : the server says : "Cannot fetch BIL float data, Wrong underlying data type".
                  So I used the debug mode and saw that ww used the application/bil32 format. So I forced it to ask for application/bil16 format.
                  Using this, I get some Elevation data, but the values are incredibles ! (-12 3567, 60 987...)
                  Moreover, I get this error : "getLayerExtremeElevations: GRAVE: Error parsing value".

I don't know what to try anymore...
                  If somebody gets an idea, it would be great...
                  Thanks in advance,
                  Thomas

Comment

Working with the elevations

Hey 1st user of my plugin,

In addition to the format type you also need byteorder for it to work properly i.e. LittleEndian and BigEndian, the raw binary data is subject to different interpretation with the different byte orders. I have just been shown how to add a Format operator to convert int to float etc. so that you don't have to worry about the native data type, may be I can add stuff to fix the byte order as well.

The plugin is also now an official geoserver plugin.

Cheers,

what_nick.
                    Coding This and That in World Wind and helping new people out, as long as they don't pester too much.
                    Working at:
                    Impact so far:

Comment

How do you produce bil output?

Forgot to thank, What_nick many thanks to you for the plugin...

I have been also testing the new plugin. DDS output works as expected, but I have the same weird elevation readings as anaxa_gore with the bil output.

I am inspecting the source code and could not see how you build up the BIL output image? Is this format natively supported by geoserver? I was expecting some image conversion routines but I could not see it. Can you give some hints?

Comment

Hi Dbacar,

I used the JAI Raw output option to directly dump the reprojected coverage (as raster data sources are called in geoserver) to the output stream. With the new code you can request any raster layer in geoserver as bil and it will end up as elevation in worldwind - no int16, float32 native data format restrictions.

The remaining trick is in the byte order. The received byte order is going to be the native one of the machine running geoserver. You will have to try both bigendian and littleendian to see what floats your boat.

Cheers,

what_nick.
                        Working at:
                        Impact so far:

Comment

Great Work on this plug-in!

I believe i have installed everything correctly, however i am getting some weird results. I basically have some shapefiles on geoserver that are displayed in WWJ.

However, when i specify dds as my image format, it comes our blurry and low resolution. It appears low resolution regardless of how much i zoom in or out. If I change the format to png and leave all settings the same, it looks fine.

DDS

PNG

Any ideas on what is causing this?

Comment

Im sure if WorldWind was an official sponsor of the Daytona 500 DDS would look much better ;p
                            Last edited by heidtmare; 04-27-2010, 02:28 PM. Reason: typo
                          Working...
                          X