Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeoFlexy, a Groovy World Wind application

Hi,

I'm starting a new project for fun, it is called GeoFlexy. It's a kind of sandbox allowing me to play with different sexy technologies like: GeoTools, GeoServer, Google Maps API and of course World Wind Java SDK.

The basic idea is to have a shared and spatial "spots" database usefull for me and friends of mine. And to have a lot of fun with the fantastic frameworks I have mentioned above.

The spots database can be managed by a web interface (thanks to the Groovy language and to Grails, a killer web framework).

The visualization can be done either in 2D with Google Maps or in 3D with a Java applet based on WWJ. The applet use GeoTools to fetch WFS features from GeoServer.

You can test it here: http://www.onlacherien.org/geoflexy/
    No login is required for now. It is my personnal server, currently with pbs so it's not up every time.

I will put the sources online after some basic cleaning. In fact I don't have written a lot of code for now, I'm just using classes from these powerfull libraries.

Here is some screenshots:

Any feedback would be appreciated..

Vinz.
    Last edited by TomServo; 08-29-2007, 06:59 PM. Reason: my project was renamed

Looks really interesting. I will have to try it out tomorrow for sure.

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

couldn't visit your website, it return an 404 error.

Comment

Oops I renamed my project to GeoFlexy and I forgot to fix the links on this post.. fixed.

Comment

HI,

I could load your Page, but I could not find the WWJ Applet? Maybe because my french is too bad to understand everything on your page...

But could you eventually post a direct link to the page with your WWJ applet?

Greets,
          slarti
          http://www.christian-willmes.de

Comment

Look at the WWJava screen shot and put in that URL

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Yeap it's not easy to find the applet link if you're not a french speaker, sorry! In fact it concerns only the home page, the other pages are in english. Here is the direct link: http://www.onlacherien.org/geoflexy/applet/index.gsp

You need to have Java6 installed on your system (in fact it should word with Java5 since I configured my Eclipse compiler compliance level to 5.0, but my test failed when I tried with my old JRE 5.0).

The framerate is very low (~10 fps on my box). Note that the same applet when executed outside the browser (ie. from my Eclipse) is around 50 fps!!! I know there's a lot of memory limitations for applet (see tag post), I guess Eclipse applet context is very different.

So I will try to distribute my app as a classic application too (JavaWebStart).

Comment

I did find a bug with the applet... but it is nothing you can fix though. The firewall at work seems to be blocking WWJ applets from loading.

Earth is Square blog

Comment

Yes I cannot do a lot of things for that.. except I'm going to distribute the app via JavaWebStart, so maybe it will work with several HTTP proxies..

BTW here is a new screenshot with Swing GUI improved:

Last edited by turman; 08-30-2007, 02:12 AM.

Comment

And if a admin/moderator could rename the topic title from "Geomastic" to "GeoFlexy, a Groovy World Wind application", it would be nice..

Comment

Now why would I want to do that?

Earth is Square blog

Comment

How come "Groovy" is capitalized but "application" isn't?

Comment

Thanks Tom!

withak: I prefer to capitalize Groovy word since it is more relating to the Groovy language than to the 'groovy' adjective. But don't mistake, the application is still groovy by nature..

PS: the web GUI of GeoFlexy is built on Grails (which use Groovy).

Comment

OIC. Carry on then.

Comment

Originally posted by turman View Post
                              Yeap it's not easy to find the applet link ...Here is the direct link: http://www.onlacherien.org/geoflexy/applet/index.gsp
                              After waiting quite some time with "Loading...", it failed with "Error: class not found: org.geoflexy.GeoFlexyApplet".
                              The screenshots look real good though

BTW: there has been some work done with applets in the SDK. You may want to check the latest SDK version - sept 15.
                              http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/java/n...e.20070915.zip

Also, i'd be glad to have your opinion about WWJ applets and GMap api - check this thread:
                              http://forum.worldwindcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=11264

PS: sur la "Big Map" il manque les endroits ou l'on peut trouver de la vrai Socca niƧoise... ainsi que la position actuelle des loups du Mercantour - lol.
                              Last edited by patmurris; 09-17-2007, 11:09 PM.
                              My World Wind Java Blog & WW.net Plugins page

Comment

Working...
                              X