Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Export 3d world

Hi,

I need to export geotiff images. I tryed the demo "ExportImageOrElevations.jnlp" which is able to do almost what I want. I would like to have the image in 3d so I change perspective and see valleys and mountains. I want my geotiff image doesn't look flat

Regads

Ugo

Among others, bil and geotiff images *are* "3D" incarnate, with positional X and Y as well as optical density Z for elevation. The XYZ data can be stored as bil or geotiff as well as by csv, spreadsheet, or database formats. If you peruse these images as-is, they're flat to the eye (till you're accustomed to mentally preview-sideviewing them). You can extract the embedded XYZ *data* using appropriate programs (e.g., QGIS with its appropriate add-on; all freeware; with a learning-curve). There may be an outfit on-line that will extract data, but bandwidth would tend to be prohibitive -- when the files span appreciable terrain they are usually well beyond big or bigbig (even bigbig in gb). It is the extracted plottable data that are sent to screen as "3D" *in* simulated "3D" (the screen itself is flat; save for the minor curvature in a crt). That is what you seem to be trying to "export" -- extracted XYZ data, to virtual XYZ screen (positional XY and optical Z).

Comment

Hi,
      Over the last week I have been looking at Bil and Geotiff. Be aware bil is used by WWJ and geotiff is not for elevations. It uses a combination of that and WMS provided layers for rendering a 3D view. Bil is not used much by any tool and I recently downloaded QGIS and it could not directly read a bil file. It like most tools can read geotiff as a layer. I also found the same issue with uDig another GIS tool. Both tools are open source. I believe bil was decided for elevation model source a long time ago based then on what was available then. If WWJ and use geotiff for elevations it would make it much more usable. If anyone knows a way to make WWJ work with geotif instead of just bil would love to now about it.

Regards,
      -Tony

Comment

Originally posted by adanecito View Post
        Hi,
        Over the last week I have been looking at Bil and Geotiff. Be aware bil is used by WWJ and geotiff is not for elevations. It uses a combination of that and WMS provided layers for rendering a 3D view. Bil is not used much by any tool and I recently downloaded QGIS and it could not directly read a bil file. It like most tools can read geotiff as a layer. I also found the same issue with uDig another GIS tool. Both tools are open source. I believe bil was decided for elevation model source a long time ago based then on what was available then. If WWJ and use geotiff for elevations it would make it much more usable. If anyone knows a way to make WWJ work with geotif instead of just bil would love to now about it.

Regards,
        -Tony
        Both bil and geotiff are X,Y,Z analog embodiments of positions and elevations all at once, good to reasonably tiny fractions of gnats' eyelashes; opened graphically both convey unshaded topography having more contours than you might need. Uncle Sam served bil, then switched to geotiff without even keeping bil available, causing problems for an array of not even ancient software that still works perfectly well otherwise (computer *problems* are not "issues"). Uncle Sam also went from WWnet to WWJ but seems to have made the WWnet source code unavailable, *while* Sun had been bought out and afterward many of us unloaded J completely rather than suffer the onslaught of security *problems* through its versions 5, 6, and 7 (at least Uncle did not switch to Silverlight, which is apparently no longer supported and mercifully never did take over the planet). We will surely suffer that all over, again, when Uncle Sam switches to whatever is "in" next for an X,Y,Z storage or for a WW engine (Canon or Nikon georawfile and php35.x, perhaps).

Reading bil led (and with the right software still leads) to extracting the X,Y,Z as topographic contours; but bil isn't available *unless* you squirreled it away. You can open and read geotiff in Qgis, which will extract the X,Y,Z and give you (curvilinear) *topographic lines* (and line segments); but this time around will remain available *if* you squirrel it away. The latter extraction can be used in WW as a layer; such as of extracted tracks or routes showing the vertical spacing you prefer (next).

If you do not want the entirety of contour content (whose own detail *can* swamp what WW shows as terrain), you can choose *particular* elevations spaced as you choose relative to sea level. If you try that, you can save some frustration by keeping straight feet vs. meters for your purposes on the painted screen in WW. If you do *not* elect spacing, then you might have more contours than you had in mind. At the most extreme level of detail, inevitable mismatch between overlaid contours and imaged ground would not be as trustworthy as hauling outdoors a transit, plumb bob, and the like, but there, again, your purposes on the painted screen come into play (some purposes require utmost exactitude, many don't).

Given what you can get into among differing sorts of layers (track, route, image), venerable freeware gpsbabel (well worth an occasional donation to its authorship) is sometimes supremely useful and is (currently) available at (here disarmed with spaces) "ht tp :/ / ww w. gpsb abel .o rg /do wnlo ad.h tml" . . .

A further link, http://forum.worldwindcentral.com/sh...DSRasterReader (at #s 3, 4), leads to a utility which may be useful for what in WW (unlike in most commercial graphical settings) aren't oddball conversions.

Originally posted by ugo1 View Post
        I need to export geotiff images. I tryed the demo "ExportImageOrElevations.jnlp" which is able to do almost what I want. I would like to have the image in 3d so I change perspective and see valleys and mountains. I want my geotiff image doesn't look flat[.]
        Ugo
        The opening question on exports may be answered partly by way of an inherently "flat" 2-D *analog* X,Y,Z (painted as converted) *with* vertical distortion (accentuation) set to enough >1 as to *appear* 3-D, and partly by way of reworking a 3-D add-on to work with the newer file format (geotiff) for analog contour-storage. The WW engine(s) for accentuation and shading are already established, so accentuation should work. The add-ons suffered by the switch, so amending them would seem unavoidable. We would probably get further by writing to our dogcatchers than to our Congress and Senate members, but for comic relief we might try having one particular candidate take up the cudgeals.
        Last edited by butte; 02-03-2016, 08:55 PM. Reason: Adding link

Comment

1. Choose what you want to export.
          2. Click the menu button and select Export and then Export 3D Objects…
          3. Set the File Format option to Collada
          4. In the Source drop-down list, choose what you want to export: an object, floor, or the entire project.
          5. Set up the export options.
          6. Type a file name and click Save.

Comment

Working...
          X