This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reference Application

There was talk a few months ago about creating a reference application for WWJ. Is there still a plan for this to happen? Have there been any volunteers?

Personally, I was pretty impressed by the 'SAR' example in the SDK. If nothing else, my vote would go with this one. But maybe the WWJ team has more surprises for us in the upcoming 0.6.0 ? I just can't wait.

Chiss!

Comment

Chiss:

I was thinking of a more comprehensive solution that demonstrates every conceivable feature of the WWJ API. It would probably be based on one of the 3 major plugin frameworks (Eclipse, NetBeans, JPF, ??) and allow for auto-updates, logging, user plugins, etc.

It might be something I'm interested in, but the idea might be a bit premature. Then again, someone may already be working on it, which leads me to my original question

Thanks

Comment

On the SDK dev team side, we have no time for that, although we would love to see a WWJ client similar to the World Wind .net version. I think there are already a couple applications out there that lean that way (WorldWindGeo, MyUniPortal ?).
        My World Wind Java Blog & WW.net Plugins page

Comment

Thanks Pat.

From what I gather, there is nothing in the works for an "Official Reference Application", then? An application that has the single purpose of demonstrating the complete functionality of WWJ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rbivens View Post
            From what I gather, there is nothing in the works for an "Official Reference Application", then? An application that has the single purpose of demonstrating the complete functionality of WWJ?
            That's right, not that i know of.

Comment

Mainly just waiting for someone to step up to the bat and take on the project. No one has followed through just yet.

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by rbivens View Post
                If such, an official WWJ application should not be a collection of all the demos at gov.nasa.worldwind.examples, you have the SDK for that!!

I think that it should actually be an open source Virtual Earth/Google Earth, much like it's .net counterpart. Consider that, unluckily, there's no cross-platform open source alternative to those (exept perhaps for Celestia, but...)
                Mariano Cecowski
                http://gaeaplus.si

Comment

marjancek-
                  I agree. There are also other things to consider as well...

Will NASA support the activity?
                  Without support, any efforts to build a reference app will likely fail. Whoever "steps up to the bat" will need to understand the inner workings of the WWJ APIs and their usage intent. In addition, we don't know that version 1.1 will not include a reference application from NASA! I for one would hate to invest the resources needed to build such a beast, only to have it superceded by the "official NASA version". Building it without NASA's direct input would be foolish.

Can the current NASA infrastructure support it?
                  If the reference application turns out to be 1/10000th as popular as GE, will the NASA servers crash? Remember, we're not talking about developers at this point. We're talking about end users, and they wouldn't be impressed with server outages; they'll just switch back to GE and pass on their nasty experiences.

rbivens

Comment

We greatly appreciate the interest in a WWJ app. Currently there is no plan for the NASA WW development team to produce one, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. In other words, we are preoccupied with the SDK and WMS server. That said, if there is interest, I would be glad to work with the community on a list of features that would go into the WWJ app. If the final product survived testing, we could provide it with 'official' status. We would also want it to credit the major players from the community involved in producing it.
                    -Patrick Hogan
                    p.s.: The WWJ servers are in the midst of being upgraded and will handle the load.
                    p.p.s.: A case of Saint Paul de Vence French wine to anyone who can make WWJ behave like Celestia.

Comment

Again with the good stuff... must really be good.

Hmm, making WWJava behave like Celestia, that would be interesting to see, and not a simple challenge.

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Thanks Patrick. I'll consider a personal mission to get actively in touch with the local wine producers... just in case

Comment

Seen Patrick's (Hogan) message clearly states the interest of NASA for such an application (why would they have developed the .net version otherwise), I think it wouldn't be such a big problem to ask nasa for a Subversion repository for such a project, and a bit of their time to define the goals of such application, perhaps a brief roadmap with priorities, and eventually mediate on any topic that might arise.

I think many of us are willing to give some of our time to build an open source WWJ application with the SDK, after all it would benefit us and all the WWJ's users and contributors.

This is a chance we shouldn't let pass.

Hogan, hope that wine case is big enough for all of us!
                          Mariano Cecowski
                          http://gaeaplus.si

Comment

Thanks Pat for the compliment regarding MyUniPortal. Our small team is constantly working on features especially 3D mapping using WWJ (great API/implementation!!).

So NASA is throwing down some gloves for a formal duel or something? Swords or soldering irons at 20 paces? Okay, guess I will have to take a look at celestra since I hate to pass up that opportunity. I was working on a really cool addition to MyUniPortal to quickly get around the earth but the enabling the openGL pipeline instead of Direct Draw caused some major headaches so taking a slightly different approach.

Guess that is what I get for being gone too long from this forum. Never a boring thread here!

Best Regards,
                            Tony Anecito
                            Founder,
                            MyUniPortal
                            http://www.myuniportal.com

Comment

WW Central Wiki Page

I started a WWJ Application Desired Features List page on the World Wind Central Wiki.

Please add you expectations and ideas there. Hopefully, it will serve as a reference or starting point for this project.

I'll try to come up soon with a 'white paper' or 'mission statement' to clearly define goals and guidelines, in accordance with Patrick Hogan's vision.

Comment

Working...
                              X