Broadcast license?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadcast license?

First of all, sorry if this post is in the wrong forum or has been answered before. I've searched and read all I could find regarding broadcasting of images from WW but haven't really been convinced I'm understanding properly--simple tv mind, I suppose

I work for a television station and basically I'd like to use maps from WW to show locations of events (ie: miners trapped in West Virginia, or a city in Africa we're doing a feature story on, etc.). Our basemaps tend to be fairly wide showing neighbouring countries, etc.

What I'd like to do is grab a still image of the map without text (since the text size is too small for broadcast), add my own locators and city names and display it on air for our viewers. As we know, Google Earth charges a hefty sum for this but as far as I can see WW allows it free of charge. Am I correct in this assumption? Would a "Image Courtesy NASA World Wind" be necessary? (I suspect it would be a nice gesture if it's not needed, for sure...)

Thanks for any insight!

You can do everything you want with the imagery. And yes, you can add a credit, but it's not necessary.
    http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Copyr...From_World_Wind
    Hot stuff: FAQ, forum search, DirectX, .NET, Video Card Compatibility list

Comment

The last bit is just about all you need. Maybe a USGS in there as well.. since they are who did all the high res of the US.

And maybe an ad for FEF/WWC's web sites

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Many thanks for the quick replies. Great forum and great software!

Comment

Sounds trés cool

If you could upload a snippet of the show for us to see WW imagery being used in it that'd rock!

And if you or someone you know is feeling generous, donations are accepted to worldwindcentral.com, the non-profit org WW info/community site (which hosts the 'community' datasets and the ZoomIt! Add-on pack, too)!

We even got trendy and added pixel advertising (please don't kill us).
          Donate to support your community!
          Please donate if you can - every donation helps improve World Wind

World Wind Central - FAQs, Hotspots, Wiki and more...READ before posting!

Need to upload files? Use my free 50Mb uploader!
          Or, how about some web hosting or web design?

Comment

So did you just want to grab the image and modify it, or put stuff in WW and then grab an image? You might also want to check out mashi's movie recorder plugin, if it still works. Instructions are in this post.
            Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
            Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
            Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

We're not doing anything all that fancy with the maps, creating them fast with minimal fuss is the priority for us. I'll make an image available if/when we pin down how we plan to use them (perspective or straight on, logo placement, etc.) Things like this usually have to go through channels and a week or two of tweaking and discussions...

5of0: Just grabbing and modifying---snapshot with borders on/placenames off, then add our own placenames and banner. Also using the nice little Political World add-on from mazop, (thanks for that&#33 for a little colour separation, I'll check yours as well.

Beansprout: Duly noted and addressed, thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Don't forget the earthquake plug-in then

Hey, if Bean can whore.. so can I :P

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Thank you for the donation

Comment

TomServo: I'll check that out, thanks!

Beansprout: You're welcome!

Comment

I know it's been a while (my last clear memory was Christmas and suddenly it's March), but for those interested here's how our maps turned out. We considered tilting for a more 3D look but settled on a flat view---the curved earth element on the right side in combination with the curvature of the earth in the main area was too, uh...curvy! I foresee using it more creatively in future special projects though. Thanks for all your help and advice.

[img=http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/9365/mapexample020yn.th.jpg]

Comment

Very neat, the NGBM is beautiful - thanks for the screenshot

Comment

Wow, that came out looking really nice.

Earth is Square blog

Comment

Most excellent
                            Bull_[UK]

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo@Jan 6 2006, 06:31 PM
                              The last bit is just about all you need. Maybe a USGS in there as well.. since they are who did all the high res of the US.

And maybe an ad for FEF/WWC's web sites

I don't think all the high res imagery is USGS's. One of the add-ons uses NAIP imagery, which is USDA.

Not trying to split hairs. But not all high res imagery out there is from USGS.

KoS

Comment

Working...
                              X