Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Clients 1 chache ?

Hi,

I have 2 pc's with world wind, and my question is: can i have the same cache for the programs ? I mean, is it possible to copy the data over to each folder ? or even map a network drive as the cach place ? so that when many people on the same network use world wind they can share the cache ?

Thx.

Originally posted by Jan Chu@Sep 27 2004, 07:30 AM
    Hi,

I have 2 pc's with world wind, and my question is: can i have the same cache for the programs ? I mean, is it possible to copy the data over to each folder ? or even map a network drive as the cach place ? so that when many people on the same network use world wind they can share the cache ?
    Thx.
    At the moment, you can copy over the cache from one machine to the other, given you keep the cache directory paths intact. Perhaps we will add functionality so you can map a network drive to a cached dataset.
    ~ just a programmer ~

Comment

Thx for the quick respond !

so it is cached Uniqed, so i wont destroy anything by copying the cach.... ill try it

Yeah, would be great with a shared cash ability, this way no need to download same data over and over again if you are on same network.

//Jan

Comment

If you could map the cache out to a network drive or simply an unc path it would behave kind of like a web proxy cache. That would definitely reduce server load and boost performance if there are several people accessing the same cached areas however you may want to add a setting to regulate the size of the cache most likely for increasing storage that way the shared cache would be managed. And then store the value for that setting in the cache. That way if your cache size setting is stored with the cache anyone sharing the cache would have the same cache setting.

Comment

Yeah, I've got 200 gigs of space just on my personal HDD... I'd hate to think WW was dumping my cache past 2 gigs when I've got plenty of space to spare.

Comment

Originally posted by cmaxwell@Sep 27 2004, 05:50 PM
            At the moment, you can copy over the cache from one machine to the other, given you keep the cache directory paths intact. Perhaps we will add functionality so you can map a network drive to a cached dataset.

Hi there -- one quickie.. the folder names for the cached files in the downloadable files that people have kindly made available are numbered 0...x and my own cache has a serious of folders numbered 0..y so do I have to renumber the downloaded folder names so I have 0.. (x+y)? Is there another file to reset? Since I downloaded some cache files of the UK and I had difficulty finding a way of getting it to appear?

Or can the cached files not be merged easily?

thanks!
            Julian

Comment

Originally posted by cmaxwell@Sep 27 2004, 08:50 AM
              When you say keep the paths to the cache folder intact do you mean that they have to be identical even to the programs install location - because I backed up my cache folder then uninstalled World Wind from Windows 98 (c:\program files\nasa\worldwind); unistalled WorldWind then installed it onto Windows XP - pointing it to a supporting drive partition (g:\world wind) because I needed more disk space for the data. When I copied my backup cache folder into the World Wind folder in the new location, World Wind does not find any of my Add-ons or the hours of Landsat downloads I have done, even though the files are exactly where they should be. Is this because I installed to a simplified directory (g:\world Wind). If so, how can I correct whatever references there are supposed to be to get World Wind to access these files. Please help. :blink: javascript:emoticon(':blink:&#39
              smilie

Comment

Check worldwind.exe.config

I believe there is a path to cache directory there. Chris' reply above is old. The functionality was coded into WW with 1.2c and above.
                Llynix AT gmail.com
                -------
                Not working for NASA (Am for hire)
                Installer Maintainer
                FAQ Extrodinare
                Founder of World Wind Central :
                Wiki (and FAQ) * Chat * Hotspots * Geocoder
                and OneDittyADay

Comment

Originally posted by novice@Jan 22 2005, 02:14 PM
                  When you say keep the paths to the cache folder intact do you mean that they have to be identical even to the programs install location - because I backed up my cache folder then uninstalled World Wind from Windows 98 (c:\program files\nasa\worldwind); unistalled WorldWind then installed it onto Windows XP - pointing it to a supporting drive partition (g:\world wind) because I needed more disk space for the data. When I copied my backup cache folder into the World Wind folder in the new location, World Wind does not find any of my Add-ons or the hours of Landsat downloads I have done, even though the files are exactly where they should be. Is this because I installed to a simplified directory (g:\world Wind). If so, how can I correct whatever references there are supposed to be to get World Wind to access these files. Please help. :blink: javascript:emoticon(':blink:&#39
                  smilie
                  The directory not really the same between 1.2 and 1.3.3.1 ... Some of them are in the Earth/highresolution... directory in 1.2 but there is for exemple a landsatImage... in the Earth directory. You'll have to copy landsatXXX directory from Earth/highResolution... to Earth/landsat...
                  (:huh: sorry for this poor english... so, i'm french)

Comment

Originally posted by Jan Chu@Sep 27 2004, 06:30 PM
                    Hi,

Thx.
                    A shared cache on a network drive works fine (provided the network resource is available). I have an ethernet disk at home (mostly used for backup), and a large chunk is allocated as a shared WW cache.

The cache location must be set up on each PC to point to the correct network share. Since the cache structure sometimes changes with a new version of WW, it's advisable to have the same version on all PCs accessing the cache. That way, you just have to move or rename directories if the cache structure changes - once you figure out how it has changed.

Best Regards,
                    John.
                    All models are wrong, especially error models.

Comment

The only problem is, if a single one of your clients gets misconfigured, wave goodbye to your cache

Edit: dont bring back 1year+ old threads...

Comment

Originally posted by f0urtyfive@Nov 10 2005, 07:16 PM
                        The only problem is, if a single one of your clients gets misconfigured, wave goodbye to your cache
                        Not necessarily, if the shared cache is on *nix.

Run "chmod +t" on the shared cache directory. Then each user/client can only delete the files it owns, even with rw access to the whole cache. Optionally, chown could be occasionally used to protect all existing files in the cache. This leaves clients rw access to read the existing files or to add new files. See the file security section of the linux intro.

If the shared cache is on windows, it's probably harder to safeguard it against misconfigured clients, rogue processes, or naughty users.
                        All models are wrong, especially error models.

Comment

If you've got Win 2000 or better, you could setup security to allow read/write, but deny delete permissions (under the "Advanced" button).
                          Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
                          Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
                          Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shakespeare &#064; Nov 9 2005, 07&#58;31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
                            ...The cache location must be set up on each PC to point to the correct network share. ...
                            [/b][/quote]

how is this done? I don&#39;t see anywhere to set a path to the cache (v1.3.3.1)
                            I know the Punt fork can do this, but some of the plugins I&#39;m interested in don&#39;t work on Punt.
                            --
                            -matt

Comment

alt+Q I think
                              Bull_[UK]

Comment

Working...
                              X