Volcano Lab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volcano Lab

I am putting together a new lab on volcanic landforms which uses worldwind extenisively. First lab where I will having them taking quantiatiative measerments with the program. If anybody has a an add-on that will give the slope between two points I could definitely use it for this lab.
    To check it out go to
    http://www.worldwindclassroom.com/Wo...vengerhunt.htm
    I will edit it a bit after students test it in my class this week.
    To put the lab into context for my curriculum, we have just finished a lecture on types of eruptions and commen volcanic features. The students also are making a powerpoint presentation on a volcano of there choice for the end of the year (which is refered to in the lab).

Any comments or ideas will be welcome

Steve Wood
    Dept. of Science
    The Athenian School

Do you need it right away? I don't think it would be hard to copy the measure tool and make it calculate slope, but I make no guarantees.

Comment

I like to calculate the slope for my bike rides. I use the multi point measure tool and just do slope = rise / run. Is doing one floating point division all that difficult? I'd think it would mean more to the students if they actually had to calculate the slope after determining the total distance and the differences in altitude. Just my opinion. Then again, I'm lazy so a nice slope measuring tool sure would be handy...

Comment

Here's a temporary, hacked up measuretool plugin that does slope.

http://banjopho.be/worldwind/MeasureTool-slope.cs

It will make a duplicate of the built-in measuretool called "Measure Tool (slope)" that reports slope in degrees with uphill from the start point being positive.

Keep in mind that the "m" key will activate/deactivate both measure tools, so you should use the layer manager to turn them on and off when you have this plugin loaded.

There is some significant lag in updating the line occasionally that I think may be related to the way the elevation is retrieved, but I'm not really sure. It does seem to work more smoothly when you are zoomed in closer though.

I think the elevation is interpolated from whatever level of elevation data is currently loaded, so the closer you zoom in (and thus the more detailed the loaded elevation data is), the more accurate the slope calculation will be.

It also won't be accurate at scales where the curvature of the earth is significant relative to the difference in elevations; though figuring out what scale that might be and exactly how inaccurate is left as an exercise to the reader.

edit: I fixed a trig error, so if you downloaded it before the edited timestamp on this post then you should re-download the correct version.
        Last edited by withak; 11-29-2006, 05:45 AM.

Comment

thanks for the slope tool. I may not be able to get it on the school's computers before we start the lab today but it5 is proabily benificial for the students to do some slope calculating the old fashion way. I will probably use it on a lab on mass wasting I plan to do in the future.
          I will post an update on how it goes in class tonight.

Comment

I ran the lab with my class at the end of this week. It went pretty well. The student had some problems getting the idea of calculating slope and using the difference between two heights to get the elevation of an object, but once they got the hang of it things went pretty smoothly. I am rewriting the first page of the lab to create a clearer tutorial on how to do this.
            The case study part of the lab took a bit longer than I expected and the second part was a bit shorter, I am going to make some minor modification to these to even them out a bit. It took about 80-100 minutes for most of my students to get through part one and 30-60 minutes for part 2,

Comment

My students have run through the lab and it went pretty well. I made some changes to the first page to make the explanation on how tro find slopes and thickness a little more clear (I hope). I also finaly got around to putting links on the lat-lon positioins of all the volcanoes so World wind will automatical focus on them. This shopuld spped up the lab a little as my main issue right now is that it just takes longer than I want it to.

For Withak and someone else- what is the code you use to change altitude along with lat and lon. To make WW move to the different volcanoes I just borrowed code from a hot spot location post and it had cordinates but not elevation, what would one of these witrh a specific altitude look like?

I am probably done with this lab for now and am marching on to a lab on the hawain volcanos, trying to get it done ASAP. Still though if anybody has can commenbts critisms, suggestions or corrections for the lab, tell me or post them here.

Thanks

Steve Wood
              Dept. of Science
              The Athenian School

Comment

You mean in urls? Just add "&alt=whatever".

worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=34....=92250&dir=0.7

Comment

yep. Thats what I need
                  thanks

Comment

Hello,
                    I'm planning a Volcano Slope Lab (analysis of the North slope of Mauna Loa). My students have to contact Hawaiian Volcano Observatory workers and prepare a short interview with their custom dissertation writing service experts before the lab.

Laboratory #9: Volcanism and Volcanic Landforms.

Useful links:

vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Hawaii/framework.html
                    hvo.wr.usgs.gov
                    nps.gov/havo
                    soest.hawaii.edu
                    fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm

Comment

Working...
                    X