World Wind in another classroom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Wind in another classroom

Back when I first used World Wind I knew I had to introduce it to a teacher friend of mine. Since then I've been putting on or editing Add-ons for it, along with showing him how to use it. On Monday he will finally use it in class to teacher topography. Unfortunately I don't help his class until the last period of the day but I will be sure to help with the demonstration. As I've been working on World Wind during class one of the students saw me and has decided he wants to use it. The teacher is going to put it on his home computer to use try it out himself. Come Monday I plan on reporting how the class went.

Cool. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Actually we didn't get to World Wind today, but we plan on it tomorrow.

Comment

The teacher wasn't in so hopefully we'll get to it tomorrow. I'm sure that he will fit World Wind in to the lesson plan soon. The class is doing topography right now after all, and there's still plenty of other ways to use it (e.g. impact craters, earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, weather, etc.)

Comment

We finally got to use World Wind today. I know it has been a while but better late than never. All we did was show the students the earth as it presently appears; tomorrow we should be showing them the plates and possibly the NRT Earthquake monitor. From what I was told by the students they liked World Wind. If they liked it just from the images then tomorrow they'll possibly be blown away.
          The class is learning about plate tectonics and continental drift so if anyone has the time and the ability to make an add-on for World Wind that shows earth at different stages of continental drift that would be nice. Here's a link to another topic I posted about the idea of such an add-on.
          Different eras in earth's history

Comment

Here's my attempt. I posted instructions in the other thread.

Comment

Used World wind again today but this time not just for the view, we used some add-ons like the plates and near realtime earthquake monitor (the students were suprised by how many eartrhquakes there have been is November). Also the teacher I've been helping is going to have me present World Wind to another teacher with the ability to get other classes to use it. Not sure when that will be, but since there are well over a thousand students at my school just getting the geophysical science classes to use World Wind will get the word out.
              Thanks alot for the Continental Drift add-on, it's really nice.

Comment

I almost have v1.2 of the earthquake plug-in done. And planning stages on 1.3.. it will use XML data instead and have the quakes clickable to the USGS page on them.

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Another update

Comment

Demonstrating World Wind has finally been brought up at the science department meeting for my school. On Friday February 3 I will be demonstrating it to the Earth science and Astronomy and Geoscience teachers. Thank you very much for all that you have done and I hope I can convince them. Fortunately I have 3 weeks to prepare.
                    I don't spread the word, I spread the world!
                    Road Map for World Wind development and release
                    I do not know .Net or DirectX.

Comment

Excellent just let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
                      Bull_[UK]

Comment

Cool, good luck
                        Donate to support your community!
                        Please donate if you can - every donation helps improve World Wind

World Wind Central - FAQs, Hotspots, Wiki and more...READ before posting!

Need to upload files? Use my free 50Mb uploader!
                        Or, how about some web hosting or web design?

Comment

The demonstration is being postponed because of all the work for the science fair. I doubt it'll be postponed for very long though.
                          Last edited by Guest_Jim_*; 10-31-2006, 10:35 PM.

Comment

We're planning on Friday and I'm hoping to get the biology teachers, the school's principle, and somebody that either works at or is connected to the local libraries to come.

Comment

Finally presented today . Unfortunately we weren't able to get any biology teachers or the principle to come :(. But we did get somebody from or Learning Resource Center who liked it I is thinking about it for social studies classes , so I might have to present it again when more people can come.
                              I had a good plan for how I was going to go through all the abilities but that fell about because the internet was down for the first five minutes. Fortunately though I got the file for the Earthquake monitor plug-in yesterday and I know how to trick World Wind into thinking it's new. They really liked that ability, and the Katrina imagery, Weather Radar and NEXRAD add-ons, the fault line add-ons. Basically they enjoyed everything and they are all interested in using it.
                              My next goals are to show the social studies department, have it put on the school library computers, have it put on public library computers, and, if possible, show it to a rival high school in my town.
                              I'll start a thread about this in the Suggestions Box but I'll also say it here; World Wind should probably start having human history in it. We've got continental drift and sea level changes that show the earth as late as 20,000 years ago. So why not make add-ons to show more recent events, like major battles in different wars. I could make one but I don't really have the time or the expertise to pull off what I'm thinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X