Using World Wind in High School Classroom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using World Wind in High School Classroom

I am a Geology and Chemistry teacher at a private high school in the San Francisco Area and I wanted to use this forum as a place to both share how I have used World Wind in my classroom and as a place to get suggestions on how to use it further.

I learned of World Wind last fall and used it to limited extent last year in my geology class and am looking to use it more extensively this year. I have a background in remote sensing from my graduate school days, working with TIMS data to aid in field mapping in Arizona. I also use a program called MICRODEM in my geology course that will do a lot of excelent quantiative analysis of DEM data.

My class is quite small (8-10) students and are all juniors or seniors. It is a college preparatory school and most of the students are quite able and motivated to learn. Geology functions as a middle ground course that is not as testing as the Advanced Chemistry, Biology, or Physics courses but has more scientific weight than environmental science.

I want to get this section of the forum more active again and get some real though put into how we can use this awesome tool to promote excitement and learning in the sciences.

Steve Wood
    Dept. of Science
    The Athenian School

Week 1

Aug 30th- Sept 2nd

This week started off differently than expected because of Hurricane Katrina, and I decided to do a presentation on it rather than the usual into to the course. I took a couple of still pictures from world wind to put into a PowerPoint. For looking at Katrina I used the Modis ad-on to get day-old images of the Hurricane. Seeing it cover 1/4 of the US was impressive and used the North Atlantic Hurricane tracks to talk about and show the unpredictability of Hurricane Movements. The hurricane tracks worked very well.

At the end of the week I do a lecture on formation of the earth, with a big chunk of the lecture on meteorite impacts. I introduced the basic process of an impact with some book diagrams and then used Worldwind (I can hook my laptop to an LCD projector) to zoom in on meteor crater Arizona (Barringer crater), the students thought it was really cool and were happy to find out that the program was free and they could download it at home. We then looked at two more craters a large one in Quebec (I forget the name) and another in Africa both of which were heavily eroded.
    Once this was done I shot up the World Wind Moon and Mars and after looking at both planets the students wrote down comparisons of the different land surfaces, earth, moon mars. After bringing in information on the age of these different surfaces, the concept of the great bombardment was introduced.

This idea of using world wind within lectures is something I want to continue at appropriate time during the class.

The students seem really excited about the program and some I think will be putting it on their computers at home.

A goal for the next week is to get World Wind installed on some computer lab machines so I can get the students some hands on time when we get to igneous rocks and volcanoes a little farther down the pipe.

Any comments or suggestions encourages

Steve Wood
    Dept of Science
    The Athenian School

Comment

Hopefully your using the 1.3.2 release. Because then you can also make use of a plugin I have put together to get "Near Real-Time" earthquake reporting (though I have found a problem in that the USGS's two lists don't match up in the 1-7 day range). But you can DL the plug-in and the add-on versions here: http://www.alteviltech.com/WorldWind/addons.php (The plug-in is the newer version and allows for filtering of earthquakes)

For the most part, we have geology pretty well covered with the various add-ons and with WWAcid now shading areas.. I need to update some of my stuff now.

I know several people have expressed interest in using WW in their class. But most mention the lack of lesson plan ideas. And as you have noticed.. been kind of slow here.

I know something that the NASA LT people have also been point teachers to is a tour I put together on the basics of using WW (Which is the only way I can account for my bandwith use jumping on Aug 28th and not going down since 8) ). http://www.alteviltech.com/WorldWind/Tour/

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

You might be interested in the Katrina add-on which contains high-resolution NOAA flyovers of pre and post-Katrina
        Donate to support your community!
        Please donate if you can - every donation helps improve World Wind

World Wind Central - FAQs, Hotspots, Wiki and more...READ before posting!

Need to upload files? Use my free 50Mb uploader!
        Or, how about some web hosting or web design?

Comment

That was a great post, please keep us updated on how you are using World Wind, hopefully it will encourage other teachers to also use World Wind.
          Bull_[UK]

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I have put tried out the Earthquake Add-on and will use it later in the year.

Week of Sept 5th-9th
            I lost a class period this week because of the Holiday. We went through structure of the Earth and the rock cycle, not using World Wind in either. We had a field trip up Mount Diablo to get an overview of the geology of our area and look at different aspects of the rock cycle. We focused on sedimentary and metamorphic rocks and how to identify regions of erosion, transportation and deposition. The last part of the assignment had the students outline areas of erosion, deposition and transportation from the top of the mountain. Original I intended to use photographs but I did not have time to go to the top before the trip and did not find good images on the web, so I used World wind to generate the images. Luckily Mount Diablo is just on the Urban Area High Res. for San Francisco so I was able to generate great images which the student’s shaded colors for the part of the rock cycle occurring there. The work was fairly accurate and the students were able to correlate the image pretty easily with what they saw.

Steve Wood
            Science Dept.
            The Athenian School

Week of Sept 12th-16th
            We moved into classification and mineral ID this week and next. No use of World Wind this week and probably next. I was able to get World wind installed on the computer lab and library computers though which will allow me to do labs with the students and assign them homework using the program.

Comment

This is a great diary, thanks for writing it

Maybe we should setup a blog site for WW stories like this one?

Comment

Sounds like a good idea. World Wind Central be a place that would host it?

Steve Wood
                Department of Science
                The Athenian School

Comment

It'd be an excellent place.

I'll start work on it as soon as I can.

Comment

A couple of capabilities that would be useful for me but that I do not know if they are out there as add-ons or in the works for newer versions. These tools would make it a lot easier to take quantitative data off the program for hands on labs

1) A distance tool where you can select two points and it will calculate the distance
                    2) A tool that will calculate the slope between two points (could be in conjunction with the distance tool as all the information is already there
                    3) A tool that will draw a topographic profile between two points. This seems like a much more involved endeavor than the first two but would be very useful for looking at both volcanic and fluvial features.

[attachmentid=1314]
                    example from MICRODEM

I am also starting to put together a web site to act as a central location for my classes and especially my World-Wind centered curriculum. I am new to web-page design this year so it may take me a while but hopefully it will be up in a couple of weeks to a month. I want to focus on making curriculum available (mine and hopefully others) and helping other teachers form ideas on how to use the program as a tool. If anybody as specific things that they would think would be useful on this type of website. Send your ideas my way and I will see what I can do.

Thanks for the encouragement

Steve Wood
                    Dept. of Science
                    The Athenian School
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by woodse@Sep 19 2005, 05:51 PM
                      1) A distance tool where you can select two points and it will calculate the distance
                      Planimetric Measure Tool Plug-in

Jason
                      nosilleg

Comment

Teacher's Forum:

I am an American public high school science teacher living in New Zealand at the moment. I learned about World Wind about a month ago, and am in the process of taking the program out to public and private schools on the North Island to demonstrate what it does. I have prepared a series of handouts on the program for schools that explain the minimum requirements, and I have been demonstrating the program at coffee shop "hot spots" where I can get wireless access to the internet. I am using a wireless laptop with a good graphics card, and I find something more to like about World Wind each time I use it.

I think the idea of a World Wind lesson plan bank for teachers is a very good one.
                        It could be organized on a nested folder basis around subject lines, such as "Geology/Erosion/Water". I think that a good lesson plan on a topic like this would take a class through the processes of erosion by looking at sites around the world where erosion is taking place, perhaps winding up at the Grand Canyon. Ideally, each lesson plan submitted would outline the intent of the class, the time the class requires and detailed positioning information for the sites to be visited. The resolution available in World Wind might allow classes to look at big pot holes ground by river pebbles, and it would certainly show meandering river features like ox bow lakes.

The Globe Program has a server that World Wind accesses via the WMS browser button. I understand Globe to be a program for schools wherein classes look at Landsat scenes that are hard to interpret, and then go out on field trips to collect data on the ground. If this very detailed data worked its way back into World Wind through the add-on or plug in system, the World Wind data sets might become especially detailed on topics of interest to teachers.

Comment

Sept 26th- 30th

We are finishing up our mineral section and having our first test. So I did not use World Wind this week in class.
                          We had a professional development day on the Friday and I led a 90 minute workshop on World Wind for other teachers. I had 6 other faculty members come. Two science teachers (chemistry and chemistry/physics), a literature teacher who is also head of the high school, a World Cultures teacher, The business manager and a middle school secretary (A diverse group). We had five laptops among the group all with World Wind installed. I put a power-point together focusing on how to operate World Wind and some ways it can be used. It contains some good still images but is really meant to be used as an outline or jumping off point for actually looking at World Wind. If you want the PowerPoint e-mail me at

steve.wood@athenian.org
                          And I will send you a copy. I just ask that you give me credit for the work that I have done on it if you reuse it or parts of it.

In the session I continually jumped from the PowerPoint to World Wind to show different features and we often diverged from the presentation to look at something. I had the typical original rush of people trying to finds their house or a place meaningful for them and then had to pull them back to show how the program can be augmented with add-ons and other layers. Darwin's Voyage, Arch Atlas and the Katrina add-on were especially well received.

We are now moving into igneous rocks, which lead us to volcanoes and my first real test of what I can do with this program.

Steve Wood
                          Dept. of Science
                          The Athenian School

Comment

Excellent news!

Mt. Fuji with the NLT Landsat7 dataset is an outstanding view

The hurricane add-on now also has Rita imagery: http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Add-o..._Imagery_Add-On

Comment

Volcanoes...

Fuji? Small scale...

Spectacular calderas and cones in northern Chad, around Emi Koussi (can't give coords now as I'm not at a WW enabled machine). Once you get impressed by Emi Koussi's straiform cone and adjoining monster crater (which has a major crustal bulge beneath it as well - wouldn't want to be nearby if it blew), go about 1000 km WSW to central Niger to see igneous core complexes that fed the volcanoes - the roundish high ranges are the plugs, and a ring dyke is visible as well as a distinct circle cross-cutting the other rocks. The whole area is a well-recognized but not well-studied (due to access difficulties) Large Igneous Province. Incidentally, the Emi Koussi area is one of the piccies on the NASA WW page on the right side bar.

After that of course trawl around the southern - central Andes to see the whole line of volcanoes that extends up the Andes. Very impressive in the NLT Landsat

Comment

Working...
                              X