No announcement yet.

GeoCoder for U.S.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, no results for every entry I tried... not even Detroit was found.

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo@Dec 3 2004, 09:04 PM
      Hmm, no results for every entry I tried... not even Detroit was found.
      Just read the error message and then input full address.

Comment

Nothing.

Just says "No Matches Found"

Ok, works for some.. but a lot of what I try don't work.

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

works here, thanks
          My Webpage

Comment

Seems that nobody yet has said what should be said:

Absolutely fantastic work, well done, and thank you!

Comment

very nice piece of software

Comment

[quote=Nowak,Dec 4 2004, 04:32 AM]
                http://geocoder.ww.xpam.de/

The geocoder is great. works for me.
                But, how do I use the world wind "goto" links in an html page to open
                world wind at the coded link. Anyone got an html example?

Comment

Is a function like this going to be added to worldwind?

Comment

Originally posted by Averad@Mar 1 2005, 02:04 PM
                    Is a function like this going to be added to worldwind?
                    Well there is the placefinder, but an actual geocoder will probably not be coded into worldwind. Mainly beacuse of the data it has to contain (every single street in america in a database)

I'm not sure how big the database is.. I think around 700 megs. As such to include it in the application would be kinda silly as it would only be used a few times.

On the question of worldwind links. You can easily just create your own. If you want an example, try View->Source on any webpage that uses them
                    Llynix AT gmail.com
                    -------
                    Not working for NASA (Am for hire)
                    Installer Maintainer
                    FAQ Extrodinare
                    Founder of World Wind Central :
                    Wiki (and FAQ) * Chat * Hotspots * Geocoder
                    and OneDittyADay

Comment

Originally posted by Llynix@Mar 1 2005, 08:14 PM
                      Well there is the placefinder, but an actual geocoder will probably not be coded into worldwind. Mainly beacuse of the data it has to contain (every single street in america in a database)

I'm not sure how big the database is.. I think around 700 megs. As such to include it in the application would be kinda silly as it would only be used a few times.

On the question of worldwind links. You can easily just create your own. If you want an example, try View->Source on any webpage that uses them

Couldnt it be added were it checks the adress location on the server and not require the user to download the 700mb. If there is already a site hosting it freely couldnt it be worked out that the program checks this database and reports back.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest@Mar 2 2005, 11:53 PM
                        Couldnt it be added were it checks the adress location on the server and not require the user to download the 700mb. If there is already a site hosting it freely couldnt it be worked out that the program checks this database and reports back.
                        Yes.. that's possible. Have a little box somewhere in ww which hits the geocoder website and returns.

If someone wants to toss that into World Wind I'm for it.. I think our website can handle it. (after all we are handling the proxy mirror just fine)
                        Llynix AT gmail.com
                        -------
                        Installer Maintainer
                        FAQ Extrodinare
                        and OneDittyADay

Comment

Geocoder isn't working, file not found on everything. :'(

Comment

Originally posted by Greg4u@Mar 20 2005, 09:21 PM
                            Geocoder isn't working, file not found on everything. :'(
                            It's not as if the webpage also says that.. but yes it is down right now. We are working on regenerating the database, but apparently there is a problem with it :(
                            Llynix AT gmail.com
                            -------
                            Installer Maintainer
                            FAQ Extrodinare
                            and OneDittyADay

Comment

[Not sure where I should post this, but here looks like as good a spot as any. Mods: feel free to move it somewhere more suitable.]

While they "regenerate the database" you can make your own geocoder. Our friends over at geocoder.us have kindly given us an API to their database, so it's pretty easy to roll your own.

If you want a quick tutorial on how to make a request, parse the response, and generate a worldwind:// link, I've written it up here: roll your own geocoder. There's a working demo linked from the bottom, so go try it out and then get cracking on your own versions.

(You'll need access to a webserver with PHP installed, but other than that it's pretty straighforward.)

Comment

Working...
                              X