X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murgatroyd Shellback
    started a topic Global Clouds

Global Clouds

I believe that the Global Clouds are off a bit from where they should be. By using the measure tool on the current position of what appears to me to be Cyclone George which has recently crossed the coast near Port Hedland, it seems to be off by about 1400 km to the North-East. Or am I wrong?
    My pic is on the hotspots, and the following link shows a picture of what I believe it should be.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...3/s1868129.htm

What do you think?

• PostFatal_
    replied
    This may sound strange but now that it's gone I kind of miss it. Every time the cloud pattern changed it made a very distinctive and pleasing crystal ornament type thing. Would someone consider making a plug-in that could display it at will? I just don't know how to do such things. :(

Leave a comment:

• withak
    replied
    I don't think the VE plugin is the problem. I occasionally get the problem you describe but have never been able to find a pattern to when it does/doesn't happen. Also, I've never had to reinstall WW to fix a problem.

Leave a comment:

• James_In_Utah
    replied
    I was kidding, but go for it....

Leave a comment:

• PostFatal_
    replied
    Originally posted by James_In_Utah View Post
    Everyone should reinstall World Wind on a regular bases...
    ??????? You're kidding right? The first install was only 3 days old. I've reinstalled the VE plug-in and so far so good. I don't know what happened the first install. I would kind of like to reproduce the effect now.

Leave a comment:

• James_In_Utah
    replied
    Everyone should reinstall World Wind on a regular bases...

Leave a comment:

• PostFatal_
    replied
    Originally posted by withak View Post
    Someone told me it was a graphics card problem.
    Problem solved. I Uninstalled and Reinstalled World Wind and now everything is fine. The only difference in installs was that I had the VE plugin on the other install. Now that I know this install works fine I'm going to try getting the VE plugin again and see if it goes crystal on me again.

The crystal Globe really did look nice. maybe someday I'll figure out how to make a switch that can turn it on or off at will.

Leave a comment:

• withak
    replied
    Someone told me it was a graphics card problem.

Leave a comment:

• bull
    replied
    I have seen that before, its really cool I'm not sure what causes it and I haven't seen it in the official 1.4, it may be another plugin intefering with it, try turning some off, what is your graphics card model?

Leave a comment:

• PostFatal_
    replied
    I removed World Wind a few months ago for some needed disc space, I've only just reinstalled it 3 days ago. For the first 2 days everything worked fine except there were no Global Clouds. I wasn't too concerned, thinking that the server may be down. On the third day it started working but as soon as the clouds download the globe turns to crystal. The clouds are there, the land is there (but translucent). I can see thru to the other side of the earth. It's really quite beautiful but not what I want. When I drop below the cloud layer the earth becomes normal again. I tried to make a short video of it but media encoder is beyond me and it looked like a mess. Any help getting it back to normal would be appreciated.

Maybe it's a sign of the times. The world has become as glass and I fear that we may break it soon. Peace.
    Last edited by PostFatal_; 03-22-2007, 07:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Murgatroyd Shellback
    replied
    Originally posted by withak View Post
    The server is broken. Bull will poke an appropriate NASA employee.
    OK.
    Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• withak
    replied
    The server is broken. Bull will poke an appropriate NASA employee.

Leave a comment:

• Murgatroyd Shellback
    replied
    Originally posted by TomServo View Post
    Try again and open the download window and see if an error comes back.
    Thanks
    I did that and here's what it says:
    Start time: 10/03/2007 8:18:20 AM
    Total download time: 00:00:00.5625000
    Average transfer rate: 0.0 kbit/s
    Url: http://worldwind25.arc.nasa.gov/Glob...balClouds.aspx
    Target file: C:\NASA\World Wind 1.4\Plugins\GlobalClouds\clouds_20070310-0818.jpg
    Progress: 0/0 bytes
    Status: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
    Proxy: http://worldwind25.arc.nasa.gov/Glob...balClouds.aspx
    Response headers:
    ========================================

I guess this means that it is not picking up the server to download the global clouds info?

Leave a comment:

• patmurris
    replied
    Originally posted by Murgatroyd Shellback View Post
    it seems to be off by about 1400 km to the North-East...
    Global clouds uses a composite image of several satellites which do not provide their images at the same time... and updates every 3 hours. So accuracy is not to be expected too much

Leave a comment:

• TomServo
    replied
    Try again and open the download window and see if an error comes back.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X