looking for landslides

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for landslides

I am working on a lab using worldwind to look at mass wasting events and would like to find more examples of landlsides especialy in areas of how resolution imagery. The ones I have right now are

North of Pacifica 37.66862N and -122.48512W Landslides at junction of San andres fault with the Pacific Ocean

South of Pacifica (Devils slide) 37.57437 N and -122.50761W

North side of Mount Diablo 37.9734 N and -121.87782 W (slumps)

Himalaya 28.30825N 95.70420E (slides)

Philippians 15.99569N 121.18103E (mudlflows related to Mt. Pinatubo)

Thistle Creek Utah 39.99959N -111.49816W

Groves Creek 38.43039N -78.39095W (mudlisde)

Gros Ventra Slide 43.634N -110.55309W

I would like to make a large list and post it on worldwind central and my own web-page. I am also interested in making location lists for other geologic features in the future.

worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=46.26468&lon=12.34226&al t=6294
    (shows up best in the OnEarth pseudocolor layer)

The Vaiont landslide in northern Italy filled up a reservoir and sent a hug wave over the top of a dam at its west end. You can google for a lot of info on the slide.

Comment

I don't know the nature of your study, but the edges of Valles Marineris on Mars are full of mass wasting.
      If it fits, the mass wasting on Mars is probably more massive (no pun intended) than that on earth, because of the sheer size of Valles Marineris.
      ou can, of course, google a lot of info on it:
      http://hirise.seti.org/epo/masswasting_theme.htm
      ^^Has good general info on wasting, as well as good info on Mars, too.
      Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
      Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
      Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

Mass wasting will show up a lot better on the moon and mars than on earth because earth has all that pesky rain that keeps erasing geology from the surface.

Comment

Thanks for the locations
          I checked out Vaiont and it shows up very well. It is also a good example of the usefullness of On-earth as it is clearly easier to see on it than the other data sources. I definetly hope to put this one in the lab.
          The mars slides are interesting. Part of the lab is having the students distinguishing different types of mass wasting features and a key factor in classifying mass wasting features is amount of water, and i assume water is not a major component of the Valles Marinaris Slides? Would they be considered rockfalls?

Comment

No one knows for sure, I think they're rockfalls/slides, after Valles Marineris was originally formed. My science club did a big project on it, and it's interesting to see that the debris at the bottom cover up evidence in the bottom of possible water - Valles Marineris leads to the lowest parts of Mars (oceans?), suggesting it was formed by water rushing down to the ocean. And there are definite evidences (streamlined islands) of there being water rushing by at some point. So some could be caused by the water rushing through the canyon so many years ago. Mars is a whole nother can of worms.
            Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
            Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
            Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

Wind could also cause features that look like they came from moving water.

Comment

Quick clay

What about quick clay landslides in Scandinavia? They are quite common there.

You have examples like Rissa in Norway
                worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=63....33333&view=0.3

or Verdal also in Norway
                worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=63....33333&view=0.3

or Baastad in Sweden
                worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=56....33333&view=0.3

Though I'm afraid you won't see too much using NLT! However you can find lots of info and some videos on the net. Take a look at http://www.ngi.no/English/default.as...DA8646C5EF13ED

Efrain

Comment

Found some Lahars in think, around Merapi in Indonesia. The ones to the south of the volcanoe or more interesting to me as they seem to come out of vegitated areas.

worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=-7.6234&lon=110.4849& view=0.3

this will put you in the center of one of them. THere apears to be a much larger barren area in 1990 than in 2000, So my guess if largest Lahar occured sometime shortly before 1990 and the area is recovering or only small lahars have come down since.

Comment

http://unosat.web.cern.ch/unosat/asp...ee.asp?pid=832

Plenty of landslides in that map.

Comment

Thanks.
                      I took a look at the ON-earth data for the area as well and the changes are quite extreme. It could be fun for the students to look at the ON earth data identify areras at risk for landslides and mud flows and see how they compare to the 2006 event.

Comment

The Vaoint Slide in Italy is spectacular in the VE imagery, Thanks Wthak!

Comment

Another interesting one that was just pointed out to me:

Lake Sarez in Tajikistan

This lake was created after an earthquake in 1911 caused a large landslide to form a natural dam 550m high (called Usoi Dam, the largest in the world) blocking the Murgab River. The scarp left behind by the slide is the lighter-colored area at the northwest end of the lake in this image. The slide is ~5km wide.

I'm going to a talk next week on work that is being done to stabilize the natural dam. There are a number of populated areas downstream and the failure of a 550m-high dam during an earthquake would be disastrous.

Comment

possible landslide

looking at JPL OnEarth pseudo color data worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=37.70843&lon=73.03309&al t=13932&dir=153.3

this looks more like a massive landslide but i am no expert

Comment

Look for "La Clapiere landslide" in the french maritime alps... 44.2520/6.9428. I've seen it move over the last three decades and found some photo archives to make an interactive animation.
                              Last edited by patmurris; 02-03-2007, 10:22 AM.
                              My World Wind Java Blog & WW.net Plugins page

Comment

Working...
                              X