Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Am I Looking At?

Hi all,

worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=23.75644&lon=-79.79532&alt=210860worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=23.75644&lon=-79.79532&alt=210860

I discovered the target of the above hotspot quite a while ago, and have been wondering ever since what I'm seeing. I have of course considered that it might be a graphical artefact, however this seems unlikely to me. I think you'll understand why when you see it.

The hotspot is intentionally at quite a high altitude, in order to give you some context. I'd recommend you zoom in fairly slowly and give it time to resolve before you comment; I've found that the optimum viewing altitude is around 18500m.

I look forward to reading your opinions!

That would be Atlantis.

Here's a link to it:
    worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=23....532&alt=210860
    Last edited by James_In_Utah; 10-10-2006, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I think it's an image artifact; it doesn't show up in any other landsat layers.

Looks like a 7km bootprint to me though.

Comment

I don't see how it could be a processing artifact, given its nature. Could be how the light/whatever reflects off of the water, or something. Or could just be an exceptionally bumpy seafloor. Where are the Cuban divers when you need them?
        Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
        Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
        Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

Working...
        X