5 Star Gravity Lens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Star Gravity Lens

The Hubble Space Telescope found the first five-star gravity lens. Gravity lensing is what happens when an enormous gravity field focuses light from a distant object in the universe. A galaxy cluster named SDSS J1004+4112 created this five-star gravity lens. The Sloan Digital Sky Survey discovered it, which is why it is SDSS J1004+4112. Here is a link to the article about the find.
    Hubble Captures a "Five-Star" Rated Gravitational Lens
    Here's a link to an image that has the lensed objects labeled.
    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/image...ature_575.html
    Unfortunately I don't know the coordinates for this, please post if you do.
    Last edited by Guest_Jim_*; 05-23-2006, 10:04 PM.
    I don't spread the word, I spread the world!
    Road Map for World Wind development and release
    I do not know .Net or DirectX.

"Fascinating Captain" ....... er... Sorry - maybe I've watched too much Star Trek!

Very interesting!
    Murgy
    "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides

Comment

Along the lines of light. I saw this article. And it could lead to a Star Track type of teleporter, except the fact we still haven't figured out how to convert matter into digital information. And back again.

Light Travels Backward and Faster than Light

http://www.livescience.com/technolog..._backward.html

KoS

Comment

Nice Wallpaper !!!

I collect Hubble shots to use for wallpaper. My chums are always more interested in them than in the new software I just purchased and installed.

Rats. It's hard to compete with the pros.

Jim Liddell
        Georgia USA

Comment

the lens
          worldwind://goto/world=SDSS&lat=41.21185&lon=-28.85591&alt=5283&dir=-12.2

Comment

Wow, that's really cool. I went to a science conference where one of the presentations was on these...really cool.
            Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
            Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
            Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

Thank you very much. The two things I find the most interesting about this image is that the lensed appearances of the quasar are so much brighter than the galaxies and just how faint those objects are. I knew Hubble was powerful but I never realized just how powerful.
              I don't spread the word, I spread the world!
              Road Map for World Wind development and release
              I do not know .Net or DirectX.

Comment

Working...
              X