New Look at an Old Pic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Look at an Old Pic

This is a new look at a controversial old picture using the latest version of WW (1.3.5) and OnEarth (which I have become a big fan of since starting to use it). It shows much more clearly the two structures in question. See Doovelackey's original Picture "Help - Anyone got any ideas". There was an extensive thread on this picture which you may be able to find. As you can see using the measure tool they are 4.5 km long in total.
    Murgy

I found this picture interesting as the objects now appear on the OnEarth imagery whereas they don't seem to be on the Landsat imagery on WW. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the original picture by Doovelackey was taken of the first Landsat imagery on WW. If as some people believed, they are tape holding the images together or even a Road Train (bear in mind that the two large rectangles are over 4.5 km long together), does this mean that the present OnEarth imagery has the same source as the original WW landsat imagery?
    If that is the case, why are the images from OnEarth so much clearer than the imagery was back then?
    If they are not from the same source, then I guess it follows that the objects are not tape or a road train.
    I'd be interested to hear what other people think.
    Murgy
    "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides

It's all the same source, they just process it differently to get more detail and the different color schemes.

Comment

Thanks - I wondered...
      Murgy
      "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides

Comment

Within the "same source" (GeoCover2000, the only L7 global dataset), while most of the time only one scene is available for a given location, there can be up to 6 different choices, each one taken at a different time. The overlap between scenes are rather large for Australia, so it matters which one ends on top and what type of blending is used.
        There is no "tape", it is probably a line skew error. The original Landsat imagery in WW was OnEarth, albeit in an earlier version.
        Any views or opinions presented here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Caltech, JPL or NASA. I am not a NASA employee.

Comment

also available on google, the trails appears to be neer 100km... since the thread on the old forum disapeard, was an answer posted to "WTF is this thing?"
          http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&t=h&o...37202,0.058537

Comment

Working...
          X