Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this? British Columbia

Hi,
    we have found a big area in British Columbia. What is this?
    Lat. 52.01366
    Lon. -124.26556

The Canadian oil sand deposits are in northern Alberta, not southern BC.

I think this is the biggest oil sand facility, also home of some of the largest mine tailings piles in the world:

worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=57.11742&lon=-111.58282&alt=62802&dir=-69.5&tilt=17.2

For scale, keep in mind that this image is from 51 km up.

Comment

Hm...
      That looks for me like a platform or something else...

worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=52.03281&lon=-124.23994&alt=17270&dir=-116.2&tilt=32.6

Comment

Originally posted by Ecki@Jul 5 2005, 12:07 PM
        Hm...
        That looks for me like a platform or something else...

worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=52.03281&lon=-124.23994&alt=17270&dir=-116.2&tilt=32.6

Its only a simple deforestation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecki@Jul 4 2005, 11:49 AM
          Hi,
          we have found a big area in British Columbia. What is this?
          Lat. 52.01366
          Lon. -124.26556

Probably a Canadian Wepons of Mass Destruction production facility. Attack! Attack! before the Canadians attack US. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Parra Noid (US)@Jul 31 2005, 04:24 AM
            Probably a Canadian Wepons of Mass Destruction production facility. Attack! Attack! before the Canadians attack US. :P
            :blink: I live in Fort Mcmurray Alberta where the tarsands are and it is definetly not tarsands. Maybe its a canoe factory or maple syrup strip milking eh?

Comment

If you look at the roads leading into the square, you'll see that pretty much all of them come from logging areas. That tells me that this is probably a logging sort yard. The trees are cut in the bush, hauled to the sort yard, and then sorted into the various categories to then haul to the various buyers...

As the value of wood varies drastically (logs suitable for making lumber - sawlogs - can be worth 4 to 5 times what logs destined for a pulp mill are worth), it's worthwhile sorting the timber before it's hauled too far. I suppose you could think of it as a staging area.

Regards, Al

Comment

Working...
              X