X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about san francisco

Hi,

This program is amazing!
    I am belgian and I have never been in America, now I can! I visited the great lakes and Grand Canyon! I downloaded the Urban map of San Francisco. Does not look very cool, very few and tiny green spots! Except for the easter part of the map, there are some colourful fields next to the bay (green, yellow, red).
    What are they?

Regards,

Stephane

San Francisco is a very nice place. The overhead view doesn't show this. To see SF from the ocean to the Bay, look here. You can click the middle picture and see an extra large version. The light isn't very good though. The large green strip in the middle of the city is Golden Gate Park. You are right the city isn't very green, but there are many many interesting places in these parks: worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=37.78729&lon=-122.47943&alt=6398&dir=-8.1&tilt=1.8
    (copy the link and in World Wind, press "Ctrl V" or go to the Edit menu and select "Paste Coordinates")

Also, there is the bay to play in!

Also, San Francisco is only a 7x7 mile square. Everything surrounding it are separate cities, though the entire region is called the Bay Area. The colored fields are actually salt ponds and tidal marshes. The green and blue areas are filled with water, while the red areas are probably dry or close to it.
    Try changing the layer from Urban Ortho to NLT Landsat7, or Community Landsat7 (Visible Color), you see the colors change for the ponds on the bottom and right. I think the colors have been falsely enhanced by computer processing.
    worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=37.45951&lon=-122.00532&alt=10270&dir=-56.6
    In person, they look more like this view from a plane. That same angle can be seen in WW from around here:
    worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=37.51550&lon=-122.12167&alt=1189&dir=13.7&tilt=79.7

To see the Bay Area, and the whole world, in real detail, I suggest searching webshots instead. As cool as I think it is to see UC Berkeley's Memorial Stadium and be able to look around in 3D:
    worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=37.87214&lon=-122.24980&alt=382&dir=30.7&tilt=45.4
    WW can't duplicate how it looks in person.

Still, I think WW is capable of some great views:
    worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=37.86966&lon=-122.28054&alt=1443&dir=81.6&tilt=71.8
    (Berkeley, CA, and the hills and cities behind it)

Comment

Originally posted by Neimo@Apr 1 2005, 01:21 AM
      To see the Bay Area, and the whole world, in real detail, I suggest searching webshots instead. As cool as I think it is to see UC Berkeley's Memorial Stadium and be able to look around in 3D:
      worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=37.87214&lon=-122.24980&alt=382&dir=30.7&tilt=45.4
      WW can't duplicate how it looks in person.

Still, I think WW is capable of some great views:
      worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=37.86966&lon=-122.28054&alt=1443&dir=81.6&tilt=71.8
      (Berkeley, CA, and the hills and cities behind it)

Thank you for this nice visit!
      I definitely agree with you concerning the breath-taking 3D view. Tucson, Texas for example is incredible to see in 3D, completely surrounded by moutains. I am sorry that this resolution is not attained in Europe, it would be great to see the Alps like this! Well, still it is possible with lower resolution.

Stephane

Comment

hi,

i m new in the WW community, and i would like to know how to look in 3D (for example Tucson), i cant see any menu for this.
        can you help me on that?

thank you very much.
        thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by ansadajl@Apr 1 2005, 09:11 AM
          hi,

i m new in the WW community, and i would like to know how to look in 3D (for example Tucson), i cant see any menu for this.
          can you help me on that?

thank you very much.
          thomas.
          Right click with the mouse and then you can tilt the camera view at all different angles. This lets you see the hills in 3D.

Matt

Comment

wow. that's so simple.
            great!

i can go quite close the mountains in the French Alps and go down to the valley down to the White Mount!!

thanks!!

Comment

Working...
            X