'Easter Eggs'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USGS Urban area

boeing or something in Chicago. probably took off from Chicago midway airport

worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=41.73771&lon=-87.84068&alt=990&dir=1.4

Comment

• OK, Area 51 in NTS Groom Lake:
      about 37.2N -115.8W (yeap, doesn't appear on map)
      use the Community landsat 7 (pseudo color) it's the most accurate

And also the so called S-4 area at Papoose Lake (doesn't show very well) 37.115N -115,836W
      where they claim the UFO:s are beind kept...

Comment

• Right near the "Area 51" coordinates is what appears to be a mock airfield for bombing practice. Notice the crators everywhere, and the aircraft revetments (sp?) where a/c are parked, etc. lat=37.4046503244, lon=-116.237323134

Comment

• The craters are nuclear test craters. The Conspiracy Theories Addon (okay, fine, <shameless plug>) shows this and some interesting things around area 51. Eventually (that&#39;s a big eventuality) I hope to expand it, but I&#39;ve got a lot of other things to do right now (such as WINK Spots, which is as I type sitting behind Mozilla Hypertuna (that&#39;s firefox with firesomething installed), waiting for my attention). :mellow:
          Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
          Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
          Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Budd@Jul 6 2005, 08:52 PM
            Right near the "Area 51" coordinates is what appears to be a mock airfield for bombing practice. Notice the crators everywhere, and the aircraft revetments (sp?) where a/c are parked, etc. lat=37.4046503244, lon=-116.237323134
            Yeah I do believe thats part of the Nellis Air Force Range. I believe you are right in that that its used for aerial bombing practice.

The craters that 5of0 are referring to are a bit further south at:
            worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=37.13568&lon=-116.05564&alt=8000

This is the massive NTS (Nevada Test Site) where many, many bomb tests were conducted. If you pan a litte bit north (make sure you have placenames turned on) and zoom in a little bit you will find something called The Sedan Crater.

This is one of the sites where non-war nuclear tests were conducted. The Sedan device was a 104 kiloton nuclear device that was detonated in July of 1962. It was detonated about 635 feet underground to test the feasibility of nuclear earth moving projects, sounds crazy does&#39;nt it?

The explosion displaced some 12 million (yes, million) tons of earth and created a crater 1280 feet in diameter and 320 feet deep and the seismic energy of the blast was equal to a 4.5 (richter scale) earthquake.

Also, due to the similarity of the NTS surface to that of the moon, U.S. astronauts trained at the NTS craters in the early 70&#39;s for missions. In particular, astronauts for Apollo 14 visited the Sedan crater in 1970.

Comment

• lol hippo, i live in tucson and davis Monthan is really inportant. Also you should see how many planes are there now. (because of tha war and all) Also that no u2 spy plane, just a regular one.- Coolsbeast

Comment

• I am sorry to take up space, unfortunatly I am stationed in Iraq and can not istall you program on my computer. It will however be the first thing on my plate once I get back.

I have to settle for google eath right now.

Can someone help me out by identifying this object.

37°37&#39;44.02"N 116°50&#39;57.88"W

Your time is appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guest@Jul 17 2005, 12:41 PM
                  I am sorry to take up space, unfortunatly I am stationed in Iraq and can not istall you program on my computer. It will however be the first thing on my plate once I get back.
                  Don&#39;t be sorry at all, I&#39;m glad you&#39;re out there doing what you&#39;re doing. Thanks for being there for us. As for the object, I don&#39;t know. Here&#39;s a google maps link for the rest of you:
                  http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.628894,-...98730&t=k&hl=en
                  And let&#39;s see if I can come up with a WW link:
                  worldwind://goto/lat=37.628894&lon=-116.849411&altitude=1000
                  It&#39;s a large triangle, a few thousand feet wide at the base, with concentric cirles inside. A bomb target range, perhaps?
                  Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
                  Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
                  Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim@Sep 26 2004, 11:03 PM
                    And now for something completely useless.

Bonus points for anyone who can find an aircraft in flight. The only one I can find so far is

lat 39.87948
                    lon -104.5573
                    (zoomed down to 459m &#39;altitude&#39; in USGS Urban Area Ortho-Imagery mode)

However this is just the shadow of the aircraft, can&#39;t find the actual bird. Maybe those hunting the LAX or NYC airspace will find one. It&#39;s a little easier to look around DEN with all those empty fields surrounding the airport.

Or maybe someone can post the most &#39;unusual&#39; object they&#39;ve found.

Have fun.

J

Go to Alcatraz island (off the shore of San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge in the Landmarks might help) with the USGS Urban Area database, there&#39;s a white small plane in the air. B)

Comment

• Originally posted by 5of0@Jul 18 2005, 07:56 PM
                      Don&#39;t be sorry at all, I&#39;m glad you&#39;re out there doing what you&#39;re doing. Thanks for being there for us. As for the object, I don&#39;t know. Here&#39;s a google maps link for the rest of you:
                      http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.628894,-...98730&t=k&hl=en
                      And let&#39;s see if I can come up with a WW link:
                      worldwind://goto/lat=37.628894&lon=-116.849411&altitude=1000
                      It&#39;s a large triangle, a few thousand feet wide at the base, with concentric cirles inside. A bomb target range, perhaps?
                      I&#39;m probably too late on this one, but this object you speak about is located within restricted area "R-4807A" This is a known area used for weapons practice. On the latest aviation sectional chart the area noted by these coordinates is a "target" Sure looks rather interesting, huh?

notably, there is at, 37 D 21&#39;49.38 N , 116 D 49&#39;40.11 W, what appears to be an airport with normal military structure which is not noted on the governtment aviation section charts. I wonder if it is still active.

Comment

• Here are a few. Appologies if already mentioned.

Sorry no GE pictures allowed for copyright reasons.

Comment

• i found a very similar &#39;target&#39; in GE, 37.29&#39;15.76lon & 116.13&#39;41.99. it&#39;s knida fun looking for these things

Comment

• My Shadow? It&#39;s visible at night&#33;&#33;&#33;

Look, can it be an eagle?

Comment

• There is a plane just taking off (and it&#39;s shadow) at San Francisco Itn&#39;l Airport in the runway all the way to the right.

Comment

• No posts in this thread for a while :o
                                Donate to support your community!
                                Please donate if you can - every donation helps improve World Wind

World Wind Central - FAQs, Hotspots, Wiki and more...READ before posting!

Need to upload files? Use my free 50Mb uploader!
                                Or, how about some web hosting or web design?

Comment

Working...
                                X