'Easter Eggs'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Easter Eggs'

And now for something completely useless.

Bonus points for anyone who can find an aircraft in flight. The only one I can find so far is

lat 39.87948
    lon -104.5573
    (zoomed down to 459m 'altitude' in USGS Urban Area Ortho-Imagery mode)

However this is just the shadow of the aircraft, can't find the actual bird. Maybe those hunting the LAX or NYC airspace will find one. It's a little easier to look around DEN with all those empty fields surrounding the airport.

Or maybe someone can post the most 'unusual' object they've found.

Have fun.

J

Well I found a bird on final approach on rwy 33 of Ronald Raegan Washington National Airport. Though its low I count it as flying ;-)

Also on JFK their is on plane taking of from rwy 04, well ok I wont count it as airborne.

Interesting is that on JFK there are two Concordes at the Gates *g

Some weird thing I found at Dallas / Fort Worth Intl

lat 32,88709
    lon -97,02041

It seems that there is smoke from a fire. and alot of cars standing around it.
    Plane burning? Or Firefighter training on the airfield?

Oh and again plane taking of from rwy 17 R also not airborne.

While I was searching around I got the idea if we are able to find out when these pictures where taking? I know they arent taken on a single day but a a time frame would be possible.

I would guess (just from the pictures) its between 2002 (spring) and late summer 2003 because, there seem to be repair works at the Pentagon and the Concordes werent flying anymore after October 24th in 2003.

So my task for you is to find clues when the pictures were taken. But you have to be able to prove it by third party internet pages. So no assumptions like "I mowed my lawn at lat xxx lon xxx on day xx the first time and parked my car against this tree at this day...

well ok aslong as you have a newspaper report with your car in that tree thats ok :-)

What do you think of that idea? Could be fun :-)

Cheers Schuk

Originally posted by Jim@Sep 26 2004, 11:03 PM

Bonus points for anyone who can find an aircraft in flight. The only one I can find so far is

lat 39.87948
    lon -104.5573

However this is just the shadow of the aircraft, can't find the actual bird. Maybe those hunting the LAX or NYC airspace will find one. It's a little easier to look around DEN with all those empty fields surrounding the airport.

Have fun.

J

Comment

Whoops made a mistake....

so USGS Urban Area has the damaged Pentagon but as the JFK is not displayed in the Urban Area the Concorde thing doesnt count.

And in the standard USGS pictures have no damages at all so thats definatly before 9/11.

So what other clues could we get?

Originally posted by Guest@Sep 27 2004, 01:00 AM
      I would guess (just from the pictures) its between 2002 (spring) and late summer 2003 because, there seem to be repair works at the Pentagon and the Concordes werent flying anymore after October 24th in 2003.

Comment

There's a plane and its shadow flying at 45,61234 / -122,6576 (USGS urban), quite visible at around 1500 m.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest@Sep 27 2004, 04:27 AM
          There's a plane and its shadow flying at 45,61234 / -122,6576 (USGS urban), quite visible at around 1500 m.
          The urban imagery of D.C. was taken on Apr 26 '02.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim@Sep 26 2004, 11:03 PM

lat 39.87948
            lon -104.5573

Have fun.

J
            That is, I think, the shadow of the plane that took the pictures. :P

Comment

Lat: 35.11288
              Long: -80.91451

Plane lining up to land at CDI

Comment

Originally posted by Roguelazer@Sep 27 2004, 11:51 AM
                Hmm didn't think of that. Is all the Urban imagery Aircraft-obtained or just some? If aircraft, wouldn't I see the shadow in many more tiles? (especially around DEN airport as it is largely surrounded by barren vacant land)

Thanks
                Jim

Comment

Tons of aircraft at

Lat: 32.15235
                  Long: 110.8289

Yeah, I know... they aren't flying. Still, an interesting place to go see a BUNCH of mothballed aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Roguelazer@Sep 27 2004, 02:51 PM
                    Aircraft took those pictures??? I thought these were all satellite photos.

Comment

There's a plane on approach to Logan Int'l in Boston at 42.33766, -71.01778.
                      No shadow, as it's over water.

Comment

There's a plane + shadow on final approach to Hartsfield International Airport in Atlanta.

Lat 33.63152
                        Long -84.45406
                        Alt: 1,000.56m

If you scroll to the right to the beginning of the runway, you can see another plane probably 2 seconds from landing.

Comment

edit for above post:

That's using the USGS Urban Area Ortho-Imagery

Comment

one last edit (I really should just register, shouldn't I? lol)

Same airport, different runway, there's a plane that has just taken off.

Lat 33.64706
                            Long -84.41124
                            1,000.56m

Comment

Not really an 'egg', but it's quite cool:

Lat: 44.59044
                              Lon: -104.7151

Comment

Working...
                              X