X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joshuaksullivan
    replied
    The answer to that question would be any place that has an under adequate supply of surface water. Alot of places in the midwest US use pivot irrigation. In western Kansas and eastern Colorado, you see it alot. I live in Kansas and we do get lots of rain, but in some places, or some years, we just don't get all that we need in order for crops to grow. I also spent a year in Iraq. They have huge irrigation networks on hand dug canals that run from the river to irrigate huge tracts of land. They also use pivot irrigation in many areas that are too far from the river so the dig a well. If you look in the desert enough, you will see alot of holes, they will appear very small, of you can see them at all, on the landsat images as they are just small resevoirs and wells.

Leave a comment:

• moonmanner
    replied
    Originally posted by 5of0@Apr 1 2005, 03:41 PM
    Having them in the desert makes perfect, if not more than perfect sense.
    The pivot irrigation is a way to make stuff grow where it would be impossible to grow otherwise by keeping it constantly waterfied.
    The middle of the desert is a prime spot for this stuff to be used.
    yes ,of course! quite simply: the question to ask is,Where else but the desert would you irrigate?

Leave a comment:

• 5of0
    replied
    Originally posted by Guest@Mar 30 2005, 07:44 AM
    I've seen circular irrigated crops that are 5-10 Km in diameter here in Canada, so 1Km is pretty small. Why do people have such a hard time belieiving this is possible? Maybe you live in a city and have never been out to see a farm?
    Having them in the desert makes perfect, if not more than perfect sense.
    The pivot irrigation is a way to make stuff grow where it would be impossible to grow otherwise by keeping it constantly waterfied.
    The middle of the desert is a prime spot for this stuff to be used.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by edge@Mar 25 2005, 08:00 PM
    I think irrigated crops can't be seen on Landsat7 image.The diameter must over 1KM.
    I guess they are reservoirs.
    I've seen circular irrigated crops that are 5-10 Km in diameter here in Canada, so 1Km is pretty small. Why do people have such a hard time belieiving this is possible? Maybe you live in a city and have never been out to see a farm?

Leave a comment:

• TomServo
    replied
    You can. Easy way to find out.. in 1.3.1 press "m" and use the measuring tool.

Leave a comment:

• edge
    replied
    Originally posted by Guest@Mar 26 2005, 10:52 AM
    I confirm that these are irrigated crops. Lybia has developped it a few decades ago. It consists of a circular where water is poured by a a ray which turns (thats why its circular and not a square for example). It doesnt mean that its lybia that ...
    I think irrigated crops can't be seen on Landsat7 image.The diameter must over 1KM.
    I guess they are reservoirs.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I confirm that these are irrigated crops. Lybia has developped it a few decades ago. It consists of a circular where water is poured by a a ray which turns (thats why its circular and not a square for example). It doesnt mean that its lybia that ...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Guest@Mar 24 2005, 09:10 AM
    Irrigation in a middle of a desert???
    In sahara desert?????
    No chance I say.
    It maybe looks like a scientific test.
    What does being in the middle of the desert have to do with it. If you have water you can easily have crops. They just need to use an incredibly huge amount of water to keep everything from dieing, and a huge amoint of time removing the sand that is always being blown towards the crops. Whether you believe it or not, it is being done and that is what is being shown in the photos.

Leave a comment:

• Bernard Laguerre
    replied
    Irrigation ?

I guess it's petrol and oil exploitation

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi,
    Central Pivot irrigation in Sahara desert
    http://www.kivaconsulting.com/images/CPI.jpg

http://document.linternaute.com/document/i...ique-djalo-.jpg

http://www.infres.enst.fr/~clement/images-...ation-libye.htm

Leave a comment:

• edge
    replied
    more infomations:
    http://www.galenfrysinger.com/man_made_river_libya.htm

Leave a comment:

• edge
    replied
    check out this:
    http://www.water-technology.net/projects/gmr/index.html

Leave a comment:

• shiriru
    replied
    They are also seen on other 2 sattelite cameras:
    Community Landsat 7 (Visible Color)
    &
    Community Landsat 7 (Pseudo Color)

So I think it's not a technical problem.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by TheBeansprout@Mar 24 2005, 09:03 AM
    They're crop circles, with irrigration from a central arm which rotates round.

I guess the black ones are just underexposed.
    Irrigation in a middle of a desert???
    In sahara desert?????
    No chance I say.
    It maybe looks like a scientific test.

Leave a comment:

• 5of0
    replied
    Beansprout beat me to it, I see in the search. Check out this topic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X