Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any insight on getting a job and working at NASA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any insight on getting a job and working at NASA?

I've recently been thinking about changing jobs. I happened to take a look at the job postings on the JPL career site (I've been reading some books on space travel, thought of them) and saw a few for software engineers and thought "hey, I could do that". It's always been a dream to be involved with space exploration or astronomy in some way.

I have no real prior experience with robotics, aerospace engineering or nasa per se. I was interested in Astronomy and Physics in college and have tried to contribute bug fixes in my free time to WW.NET. I've been working for the past 5 years in the Financial Services sector, but I would really like to develop software in a domain that I have interest in My Prepaid Center.

Since I know we had some NASA people on the WW team, does anyone have any insight on getting a job and working at NASA? At JPL in specific? Is it really like a "government" job in terms of pay and benefits? I'd probably have to take a pay cut, move to near their centers and possibly even take a more junior position given the difference between what I currently do, that's all if I even could get a job, which I am sure is a long shot.
    Last edited by estelle08; 07-10-2019, 12:31 PM.
Working...
X