Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the current Placemarker clipping best practice ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the current Placemarker clipping best practice ?

What is the current best practice for clipping Placemarkers ?

Placemarkers generally behave as expected, but there is some undesirable clipping.

Here, in a tilted and rotated view, the magenta marker is clipped by terrain elevation in the foreground as desired:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	terrain-clip-marker.png Views:	1 Size:	358.6 KB ID:	158561

But when not tilted, the markers can be clipped by the terrain elevation in an undesirable manner:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	terrain-clip-marker-bad.png Views:	1 Size:	160.9 KB ID:	158562

Worse still, when viewing the globe from a great enough distance to see the horizon, markers are being clipped by the earth's surface:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	terrain-clip-marker-bad-2.png Views:	1 Size:	268.5 KB ID:	158563

I have seen a few posts that discuss some workarounds and tracked issues regarding near/far clipping rotation and tilt, but I'm not sure what is the current best method to deal with this case scenario.

Please can you offer some suggestions ?

Thanks

Hi Timoto,
    Did you try to set an altitude to the Placemark ? Setting 5000m would avoid most mountains...
    If this is bad trick when zooming in, maybe also add a sort of vertical "tail" down to the ground... ?
    Perhaps not possible(s) with the web version...

Comment

Hi frenchy

Thanks again for your input.

The suggestion would result in Placemarkers floating in mid air and a tail would look unattractive. I'm not sure it would solve the issue with the Placemarkers disappearing into the surface of the globe when viewed from a distance either.

I presume there must be a mathematical method to resolving some aspects of this issue. Whilst there is no elevation data that I can see in google maps, their WebGL globe is 3D and their markers are not disappearing into the earth's surface,

Click image for larger version

Name:	google-marker-horizon.png
Views:	1
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	158567

Name:	google-marker-horizon2.png
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	158568

as they are doing with NWWW: