X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TomServo@Mar 15 2005, 05:29 AM
    To be honest.. these should be closed since 1.3 IS out now

A good read anyway.

Hmm, I didn't know this thread was only for 1.3, I thought it would probably carry over to the next version. Anyway, it sounds like you'll start a new UI thread when you start planning 1.4, so I'll save my comments until then. I really do think 1.3 is great, and I'm glad to see it is still quite simple.
    Dr Spikes - Earth Science Agency, LLC
    \'user

Comment

1.4 would be a LONG way off. I am sure the current interface will be tweaked a couple of times.. so the notes are still usefull

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Man, only now I discover this topic. Talk about lag !

So, for any of you who might be interested, I'm the guy who came up with the PNG mockup interface, and I'd like to thank those of you who liked it I first sent this concept-art interface privately via email to WWind developement team members who then asked me if it was ok to show it on the WWind forum, and I agreed. I'm not making this up, guaranteed, just ask them if you don't believe me =)

I may add that the PNG shown in the first post of this thread is not the final mock-up I made, and you can see in this one some more dialog boxes added. The file weighs only 332 kb because there is no background image, thus making the image lighter. And yes there is a reason for PNG : its lossless compression doesn't degrade color & text antialiasing quality, which are some key elements to have a good idea of what a final product could look like.
        You can also see some minor improvements over the first design.

What I wanted to have in an "ideal" Worldwind interface was something which was clear, easy to use, modular and efficient at the same time. You can see that the icons are quite simplified, although in no way they could be considered as final designs, as in almost every mock-up. Full-color Icons of version 1.3 look very good, and they are a completely different approach from mine. I took advice from a friend who has some experience in UI designing to avoid pitfalls. For all of the enthusiast who doesn't want to focus on the interface itself it's clearly obvious that all palettes could be minmized or hidden. The idea of WWind as a media player seems quite relevant to me and it is a good thing if interface elements don't come in the way.

Also, I payed particular (or at least I did try to) attention to the typography of the text used. Less space used with the palettes means little text size, so the font needs to be very legible and well antialiased. I chose a Helvetica Neue which meets those requirements and doesn't seem to belong to a particular period or graphic style, I find it to be quite universal, as Worldwind is. Text is a major element of the UI and definitely needs special attention. What I might suggest to the dev team is to use ClearType text antialiasing in the program, if possible, and a possibility to chose the fonts used in the interface.

I also tried to devise a specific color code, a bit like on modern aircraft screens, but it needs some refining.

Finally, I thought that a realtime color-editing capability would be a great time-saving feature when making screenshots for example. For the Tibesti Plateau background image I used in the first shot, I had to resort to third party software. This feature would be a great plus, although not strictly necessary.

I did not dare to make a OS X like-dock though, but still, it's a pretty good good idea

Sorry for being late on this one, but I haven't been reading the WWind forum for quite a long time.

Apart from that, keep up good work, I know people around me who have become WWind-junkies, and others who use it as a great teaching tool before the eyes of their amazed colleagues

Comment

I suggest using GNU gettext (also opensource) for
          make the GUI translatable at real-time.
          This lib is portable and works really faster and
          stable too.

I like the GUI like it's rightnow, but for improvements could be:

Group the icons into classes. Eg.:
          - Addicional Info: (when the mouse is over shows to down like menu:
          axis, latitude and longitude lines, layer manager)
          - Landsat7: NLT visible color, community visible color, pseudo color.
          - USGS: Digital ortho, topo maps, urban area ortho.
          And the rest groupped by themes:
          > Phisics, Geology, Humanside, Historical...

Comment

I haven't seen any mention of tooltips, if that's what it's called when the cursor hovers over an object for a while and a box pops up describing the object's function. I've been thinking of how WW can easily provide more information and answer common questions. Most importantly the new help needs to be easy to program considering everything else the developers want to accomplish. I see many programs with these tips so I hope they would be easy-ish to add.

Don't get me wrong, I know this isn't a video game that should have a tutorial and explain things to players who don't read the manual. That doesn't mean users should have to go to the FAQ or search the forums, particularly when many of them won't know the terminology to use or look for.

As much as I like the mock-up from months ago, that will take quite a lot of work. I think tooltips are the simplest addition that will help inexperienced computer users use WW. We want our parents and friends to use this, but lets face it, how many of them are comfortable using a menu not labeled File or Edit? How many will click to the FAQ and freeze like a deer-in-headlights when they see the long list of hyperlinks they don't understand, and all they wanted to know was why couldn't they see their home in Europe? How many users know Ctrl-anything? Finally, how many users are adventurous enough to try and troubleshoot anything on their computer? They don't know much about electronics and so are afraid of doing something wrong and destroying their computer, like deleting their hard drive.

Enter tooltips, which we will be able to turn off from one of the menus because they annoy us. New users will find them by accident, perhaps when they let the cursor hover over the OnEarth Visible icon and try to remember if they wanted Visible or Pseudo. That's when the box appears and helpfully says something like:

"Imagery of most of the Earth's land, but not the sea, at up to 15m resolution. Not available above 81 North and 56 South. Has detail down to about 10,000m. A city block looks like a dot. USGS 1m and USGS Urban Ortho have greater detail for the USA only. Public Domain (restriction free) imagery of other countries may eventually be available. Imagery is from 1999 to 2003. Read the Frequently Asked Questions in the Help menu for more information. Turn off these tips from the View menu."

If the cursor were left over the "downloading" icon in the lower right corner, a tip should pop up explaining what the icon means, and how if imagery doesn't appear, to check with Ctrl-H, check for proxies, maybe just close and re-open WW, refer them to the FAQ and more detailed links in the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Risan@Jan 15 2005, 03:23 AM
              Keep it simple and uncluttered ... . All info stealing screen real estate (image metadata, compass and other things) should be possible to switch off to see an uncluttered image.
              The current Mac OS X styled buttons on top are truly awful. They are not just annoying but the text is hard to read also. I really don't like it. Why can't we just use a simple drop down menu?

Comment

Originally posted by Guest@Feb 11 2005, 11:44 PM
                I hope that usability is the primary focus when developing the next generation interface. ... as the interface becomes more graphic-intensive, the image rendering will be slower and the user will be more distracted from viewing, which is the program's purpose. ... A slick, animated UI will not draw new users, and will only decrease usability.
                You're absolutely right. Can we get rid of the Mac OS X buttons on the top? This is not a video game.

Comment

I personally like the OS X buttons. WW is a graphical application, so pretty buttons are appropriate. You can always turn it off with Ctrl-T, all the options are avaliable in the menus or the layer manager. The OS X aspect (expanding buttons) are also practical, because with lots of icons, it would either take up the screen or be really really small. With the OSX, you can have lots of icons, but also be able to see them when you mouse over. I have probably 2-3 dozen icons on my toolbar, so it's really nice to have them small up top and be able to mouse over them.

My vote: Keep the toolbar like it is, let those who don't like it turn it off (as you already can). It's perfect as it is.

To add my two cents to the rest of the discussion, I agree with some posters farther up, especially swithin. His media player analogy is perfect - I, too, think that the interface should be simple but smooth and effective. Optional windows, but the ability to close them easily and "get back to basics" - just WW and a toolbar. It's pretty as is, nice and simple.
                  Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
                  Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
                  Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

Originally posted by 5of0@Jun 3 2005, 08:51 AM
                    I personally like the OS X buttons. WW is a graphical application, so pretty buttons are appropriate. You can always turn it off with Ctrl-T, all the options are avaliable in the menus or the layer manager.
                    My suggestion: Keep the dormant icons really really small. Fix the captions of the icons because the texts are only readable against a black background. Forget about the look, readability is the only point. Better it be white text on a rectangular solid black background or black on white.

Give us a choice to globally switch off transparency. Readability!

Is there a way to straighten the map? I mean north (or any other axis) up and no tilt?

Comment

Originally posted by jb@Jun 4 2005, 06:21 AM
                      Is there a way to straighten the map? I mean north (or any other axis) up and no tilt?
                      Spacebar (or 5 on the numeric keypad) will revert to a north-up view from directly overhead. Pressing it twice will revert to the defaut zoom.

A chart of key functions can be found here in pdf and graphical formats.
                      All models are wrong, especially error models.

Comment

[attachmentid=849]Nice globe.

Here is my suggestions to the World Wind userface:

mouse and zooming and navigating -ok

keyboard: need flight controls. add joystick
                        developing a touch-sensitive globe trackball would be nice
                        maybe gloves would be overkill?
                        :P

ui: should be full screen, custom interface perhaps "skins"
                        suggest rightclick "quad" menu alÃ* 3dsmax.

attached photo of suggested UI B

should have recording possibilties with keyframing and output to different formats!
                        recorded sessions should be cached in a file.

high res dtm's !!!!/or layer with displacement information. (high res grayscale image with enough depth to display -12000m(black) to 9000 m (white)
                        and where is the northern regions of norway? the terrain is completely flat!

import server for add-ons!

need favorite spots option!

as of naming: "important" places should be shown. Others should pop up in a given radius of pointing.

level of detail should be altitude and direction controlled and split into smaller chunks.

thanks for the most beautiful object
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rabagast@Jun 5 2005, 04:36 PM
                          and where is the northern regions of norway? the terrain is completely flat!
                          That's cause there is no elevation data north or south of 60 degrees. :(
                          Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.

Comment

For me, the interface is perfect as it is, very intuitive. However I'd love to see:

1. True full-screen mode without any icons or menus on screen
                            2. A means to add "favourites" or "bookmarks" simply and recall them simply, i.e.

a. Navigate to a view, set the tilt angle, altitude etc using normal nav
                            b. Press a hotkey to invoke a "New Favourite" dialog box
                            c. This dialog allows creating a favourite name, some notes, viewing options etc.

To recall the favourite:

a. Press a hotkey to bring up a pop-up window listing all the faves
                            b. Double left click on a favourite to fly to it
                            c. Press the Hotkey again to close the pop-up window

The favourites popup window should have an "Edit" button to allow changing of text, name and options like:

a. Set terrain elevation multiplier for this Favourite (choose to view natural terrain heights or amplified for a tour perhaps)
                            b. Display the description text in a 2-3 line translucent bar at the top or bottom of the viewing window.

Comment

1. It's not perfect, but you can turn the toolbar off with Ctrl-T.
                              2. There is already a plugin for 1.3.2alpha (the testing version) that lets you save favorites. Add your suggestions in that thread. Once it's finished (prolly before 1.3.2 is released), it'll most likely be integrated in.

Comment

I've been using WW only for some hours, and i think it's wonderfull! Being such a newbie, it's difficult to make suggestions without sounding pretentious... On the other hand, usability-issues are more easily recognized by these inexperienced users. So i note the following anyway..

When manipulating the globe it's possible to "grab" it and when clicking LMB and dragging to the left, you "drag" the globe to the left (view to right). This is a natural way to map this action (when you grab&drag in real life things work out the same way).
                                When doing the same action with RMB to change viewing angles the result is the opposite. Here it's not dragging but pushing..

In my opinion behavior should be mapped in the same way for all manipulation of the viewpoint and a choice should be made.

Comment

Working...
                                X