This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placename Error List

There is now a wiki page dedicated to listing placename errors at http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Placename_Errors.
    If you find a placename error, please go to the link above and add the error according to the instructions there. If you don't want to edit the wiki page yourself, you can post a reply to this topic with all the necessary information, so one of us can put it on the wiki for you. In your post, please include:
    *The placename in error
    *A worldwind:// link to the placename (use Edit->Copy Coordinates in World Wind, and paste it here)
    *Preferably the general area the placename is in (i.e. "NW Italy" or "Rhode Island)
    *What's wrong (spelling, doubled, just plain wrong, etc.)
    *What it should be
    Thank you to everyone who contributes, have fun error hunting!
    Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
    Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
    Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Bonza idea, the thread even seemed to pin itself before I got to it :o
    Donate to support your community!
    Please donate if you can - every donation helps improve World Wind

World Wind Central - FAQs, Hotspots, Wiki and more...READ before posting!

Need to upload files? Use my free 50Mb uploader!
    Or, how about some web hosting or web design?

Comment

Yup, I'd already talked to bull.
      He pinned it before I could ask him to, he's good! :lol:
      Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by 5of0@Jul 20 2005, 12:43 AM
        *What's wrong (spelling, doubled, just plain wrong, etc.)
        Very good idea, guys.

Note that double names are sometimes very hard to read, because they are exactly overlaid (because they have the same coordinates, I suppose).
        So, while it's easy to get one of those doubled placenames, because we know it, the second is often unknown (e.g.: an obsolete, disused placename, I'm talking about Italy&#33.
        Well, this is the question: may I get quickly both doubled placenames from WW, having their coordinates or having the known name? Then I could search by internet for the correct name or the correct place of that placename and then add this information to WW Wiki.

Thanks.
        Bye. Ciao.
        Matteo.

Comment

Hmm, I've got time, I'll revise the wiki page a tad. You brought up good points - sometimes we don't know the correction. As for "the question", I don't quite get what you're asking. If you're asking if you can just put a wrong placename without other stuff, that'd be OK. Otherwise, you might be interested in Cruachan's placename editor/viewer.

Comment

Originally posted by 5of0@Jul 22 2005, 03:26 AM
            Hmm, I've got time, I'll revise the wiki page a tad. You brought up good points - sometimes we don't know the correction. As for "the question", I don't quite get what you're asking. If you're asking if you can just put a wrong placename without other stuff, that'd be OK. Otherwise, you might be interested in Cruachan's placename editor/viewer.
            Woww! Cruachan's exe was really what I was searching for. Just click on column title to order by latitude (or longitude) and - miracle :lol: - we get doubled placenames one by one (just the time to discover them!&#33.
            Next step for Cruachan could be a filtering icon to automatically extract only these doubled placenames from the database.

Thanks to you all. So, I'm going happy working... :P

Bye.
            Ciao. Matteo.

Comment

Misplaced placename layer

When I home in on Lake Victoria (on a scale that shows all of East & North Africa, the names that come up are of European locations (with, for example, the names "Ireland" and "Isle of Mann" located north of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean). Last week I suddenly has Arabic names n the middle of Lake Rukwa, Tanzania.
              The placename layers appear to be unanchored.

pbrock@qc.edu

Comment

Seems like that is a 64-bit OS error.

Comment

Working...
                X