X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic High CPU Usage and poor mouse functionality

High CPU Usage and poor mouse functionality

Hi all,
    When I run World Wind my CPU is at a very high usage and i loose all functionality of my mouse ie it is extremly jerky.

I have 512mb ram
    2.01GHz Processor

I have installed v1.2 patch

Thanks Skiitz

• bull
    replied
    /me slaps f0urtyfive around with a smelly trout

Leave a comment:

• f0urtyfive
    replied
    Why thankyou for bringing up a 6+month old thread, and posting nonsensical information at the same time.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have P4M in a Sony Vaio Laptop @ 2.2 GHz. 512mb Ram Radeon Mobility 8500 (over clocked 40%).

RE" the mouse issue. I'm not certain how to do it with Windows but Using a freeware tool call "Fresh UI" I would suggest increasing your mouse cache size.

Quick Overview: Steps for better Performance:

1. Defrag your HHD
    2. Optimize Windows running process/services 3. Minimize startup-boot up programs
    3. While running WW keep as few OTHER programs running as possible (If you have Norton or MacAfee Antivirus these are known system resource hogs, recommend a complete uninstall of those AV's and use AVG Free at http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
    4. Optimize your web bandwidth. I have DSL at near the T1 speed. I used freeware called TCP Optimizer http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
    It nearly doubled my downloading bandwidth. You can get a freeware bandwidth meter at http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

I DO WINDOWS OVERHAULING-OPTIMIZING and can walk a client through it over the phone (albeit a more lengthy process). There is a fee invovled and expect about 3-4 hours on the phone. If you desire this, email me at SystemHLP at Yahoo. There will be no data loss to the client.

I'll Try to eplain a bit about what's happening in a computers "head" with graphics intense programs such as WW.

Everytime a rendered image moves (such as when you spin the earth in WW) the system must RE-DRAW the entire scene. The more detail to re-draw the harder the system must work to accomplish the task.

In WW the more plug-in which are active (e.g. Lon-Lat lines, bathy blue marble etc), the slower each re-rendering of the image will take place. SO.. When the computer can't execute a command (e.g. a mouse click) the moment the user desires then it begins storing those desired commands in a virtual line for next available execution. (Picture yourself at the DMV with a number ticket in your hand). So if you’re spinning the globe from 30,000km then Lon-Lat lines are fine but zoom in tight where you're now re-rendering detailed images, while the system is trying to sync that with a mismatched internet download speed of the incoming topographical data and what you get is A LOT OF CPU USAGE.

Suggestions:
    Warning, the following won't "mess up" your system per se BUT YOU CAN CAUSE WINDOWS TO RUN POORLY OR EVEN CRASH AND FORCE A REBOOT. So look up (Windows services for your Win ver. and find out what they are. Try http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm for a primer.

Click START, SETTINGS, CONTROL PANEL. Select ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS then SERVICES. Many systems are running way more services then needed. Win 2000 and XP (even XP Home) were designed for businesses mainly. Each wasted service is more RAM and More CPU power taken away from WW.

Click START, RUN then type MSCONGIG no caps needed. Click the STARTUP tab. Here you can disable – re-enable programs listed in your start registry. Here also know what you're doing. Some programs may be needed to engage devices such as a wireless network card etc. But it's been my experience that most people have 15-30 programs running at boot up (every software mfg wants their program running when a user boots, however MOST are not needed and usually represent corporate spyware, yes even by Microsoft, AOL and others you know and love). In contrast my start registry contains a scant 4 entries.

After you've optimized windows, do a complete REBOOT, shut down the system, wait 30 seconds and the power up. BEFORE running WW, get online. Then fire up WW you should see marked improvement (not only in WW but in all endeavors you do with your system).

Hope this helps. Many thanks to the WW team and all who contribute. It's a quintessential Utopia of how the web can bring enjoyment and enlightenment liken to the great step forward humanity took with the advent of the Printing Press.

David

Leave a comment:

• 5of0
    replied
    Originally posted by TomServo@Oct 12 2004, 09:13 AM
    I have 3.2Ghz and average about 50/60% depends if it is LandSat or USGS.
    But then again, you are on dialup. :P
    That'd probably affect the CPU usage.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I think its the settings of your graphics card.
    Switch all 3D seetting to low in your graphic card settings. So switch off antialiasing (aa), anisotropic filtering(af), and other quality settings your card may provide.
    Or try to switch your desktop resolution between 16 and 24 bits or a lower resolution.

When it doesnt help, your graphics adapter may have not enough memory,
    128 MB on your 3D accelerator is Minimum, because i measured a memory usage beetween 80 MB and 200 MB in low heights. When minimizing WW the usage drops to 1.4MB.

A graphics card with PCIe or AGP8x reduces the loading jerks significantly.
    With onboard graphics chips WW may not run smoothly.

Morty

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Jerky wayward mouse was cured by defragging the disk holding the cache. No effect on CPU usage though !

Kevin

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The real reason it burns CPU is because its rendering the world at 50 frames a second event when nothing is happenning. To reduce CPU burn:
    - select the options item from the tools menu (alt +W)
    - Scroll down to the throttlefpsHz in the UI section.
    - change it to a lower number (10 is good).
    - hit return and kill the options dialog.

CPU load should be lessened.

The culprit is public void OnApplicationIdle(object sender, EventArgs e) in WorldWindow.cs. The only time it doesn't render it is when m_isRenderDisabled is set. Funnily enough this happens when the world wind loses the focus. So while you are doing something else it'll stay quiet.

That's all well and good except when you have a server on your machine you want world wind to interact with and it's chewing all the cpu.

How about a nice little check to stop rendering when everything is up to date? At least then there'd be quiet while nothing is happening.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Jessi@Nov 18 2004, 12:57 PM
    Indeed, that's our secret project. You can even find out all about it by reading World Wind's source code.

Jessi
    Hahaha, great response

Leave a comment:

• TomServo
    replied
    Shhh!

Dangit! Your letting out too much information on my ultimate Duke Nukem Forever servers!

Leave a comment:

• Jessi
    replied
    Originally posted by Guest@Nov 18 2004, 12:36 PM
    It is because when you use the program you are actually participating in a large beowolf cluster. NASA is using the broadband pipe and your kernal processor for what is called shared processing. Just imaging having 1,000+ P4's for free. They don't have to pay for electricity, upkeep, the OS- nothing. Is it worth it? I think so. It is the same reason why peer2peer networks take 25%+ of your processor. With peer2peer they lease the processing power to unnamed companies. Interesting? No? Tin-foil-hat! ON!
    Indeed, that's our secret project. You can even find out all about it by reading World Wind's source code.

Jessi

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by skiitz@Oct 10 2004, 04:42 AM
    Hi all,
    When I run World Wind my CPU is at a very high usage and i loose all functionality of my mouse ie it is extremly jerky.

I have 512mb ram
    2.01GHz Processor

I have installed v1.2 patch

Thanks Skiitz

It is because when you use the program you are actually participating in a large beowolf cluster. NASA is using the broadband pipe and your kernal processor for what is called shared processing. Just imaging having 1,000+ P4's for free. They don't have to pay for electricity, upkeep, the OS- nothing. Is it worth it? I think so. It is the same reason why peer2peer networks take 25%+ of your processor. With peer2peer they lease the processing power to unnamed companies. Interesting? No? Tin-foil-hat! ON!

Leave a comment:

• skiitz
    replied
    Does anyone with high CPU usage have any problems with their mouse as mine is very jolty?

Leave a comment:

• TomServo
    replied
    I have 3.2Ghz and average about 50/60% depends if it is LandSat or USGS.

Leave a comment:

• hippo
    replied
    Originally posted by Forsaken@Oct 12 2004, 12:16 PM
    With any highend graffics program high CPU useage is a given trust me on this highend PC games are a hobbie of mine

My CPU useage is 90% in WW I run a 2.8 3200 AMD Barton.
    Yep - i'll second that. I have a 2.5Gz AMD64 3400+ and it maxes out the CPU all the time. Still runs fine though..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X