X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just thought i'd get my vote in for an OSX version

Comment

I'm another very interested Mac user, and I'm glad to see that you're actively pursuing it. Long live OpenGL!

Comment

Ok... people. Posting that you want it ported is NOT going to get you anywhere. I am sorry but that is the truth.

We ALREADY know the demand is there for Mac and Linux. But the FUNDING isn't there though.

Also, the source is out there.. if you have programming skills, grab it and start hacking away at a port. I know there are two projects out there that are being brought up to a level where they could be used as core replacements for WW so that it can be on several playforms. But they are not there yet.

So, you can stop the <AOL> Me too</AOL> posts.

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Tom,

You have a really fabulous product here, congratulations on making the idea a reality.

You&#39;ve noted that the demand for a Mac OS X version has been clearly recieved. That is great and I won&#39;t add a "me too" post.

I believe that some of the frustration evidenced in other posts has been generated because most of us are just baffled as to why this project was done with platform limiting technologies like C# and DirectX in the first place. Most developers seem to be actively moving away from proprietary technologies in favor of open standards (been backed into the corner by Microsoft before). Mac OS X and Linux seem to be very much on the rise. NASA is a Govt institution with a large Mac OS X installed base. Perfectly great open cross platform standards, like OpenGL and others, exist.

I&#39;m sure I&#39;m not the only one thinking that all the extra rewrite work, the extra funding and costs, the endless user platform requests, and the long delays and frustration just weren&#39;t necessary and could have been avoided if more appropriate technology choices had been made from the start.

I&#39;m delighted that your software engineers and the open source community are working hard to build a version that will run on more than just late versions of Windows. I applaud your efforts. I applaud extra loud because, like most, I&#39;m just not a coder and find it frustrating that I can&#39;t easily assist.

May you keep coding world class ideas into reality, and I can&#39;t wait to use WorldWind on all of the six Mac OS X machines that are part of my life.

kehrer_2000@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kehrer@Mar 16 2005, 02:42 PM
            I believe that some of the frustration evidenced in other posts has been generated because most of us are just baffled as to why this project was done with platform limiting technologies like C# and DirectX in the first place. Most developers seem to be actively moving away from proprietary technologies in favor of open standards (been backed into the corner by Microsoft before). Mac OS X and Linux seem to be very much on the rise. NASA is a Govt institution with a large Mac OS X installed base. Perfectly great open cross platform standards, like OpenGL and others, exist.
            I&#39;m sure we&#39;re all aware of this now, but as has been stated before (paraphrasing here):

"One Coder + Less than a year = Worldwind

IMPRESSIVE&#33;"

WW Started as a little project for one coder, and the C#/DirectX was probably an arbitrary decision, likely what was on hand. Then all of a sudden the popularity exploded once it was featured in a magazine or two (or something) and got slashdotted. As they say, hindsight is 20/20, and looking back, OpenGL and whatever probably would have been better. But I doubt the original coder (sorry, can&#39;t remember who it is/was - is it Maxwell?) anticipated that WW would get so big. Hopefully this explains why C# and DirectX were used in the first place.

P.S. There&#39;s been a lot of interest in OSX, but we can&#39;t forget about Linux - count my vote.
            (Now, everybody, don&#39;t get all riled up - just kidding :lol: . I can&#39;t even get Debian, Ubuntu, OR Mandrake to install on my compy without freezing&#33; :( )
            Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
            Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
            Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

Although the request for a MacOSX version has been clearly stated I cannot resist the temptation:
              Please do produce a MacOSX version.
              Why restrict this fabulous product to windows users?

Please, please, please

garfildo

Comment

I hate sounding like a broken record, but....

It is open source. No coders have offered to take on the task. Until this happens or Steve Jobs lends NASA some coders, it will not happen.

All the &#39;me too&#39;ing does not help at all.

Its 55K, 1700 lines of code, (some of those are even *blank* lines) all it takes is someone to step up to the plate. osgPlanet has built an engine to view the Earth, now someone has to integrate it.

"The world belongs to those that show up."
                - Mark Sylvester (Alias Wavefront founder)
                Adam Hill - .NET and GIS Guy
                Thregecy Inc. ::: TheBigPixel
                Hack #24 - World Wind

Comment

Locking this because we know we want the osX and Linux ports.. but don&#39;t have the people, money and time right now.

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Working...
                  X