xbox port

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xbox port

i dont know how many people are into the xbox modding scene, but there is a fairly healthy homebrew/porting community and i thought it would kick ass to be able to showcase worldwind on your xbox, through your tv.

i know nothing about such things myself, but seeing as it is an open source project is there the possibility it could be done/is worth the effort? advice from someone more knowledgeable from me would be appreciated, and thanks to the people who work on worldwind for an outstanding program.

i made a similar post on the xbox-scene.com forums.

I've mentioned this too, would love to see it, but there arent any xbox devs right now, xbox-scene is probably the best place to ask.
    Bull_[UK]

Comment

*shakes his head*

*reads again and shakes his head some more*

People have TOO much free time

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

haha oh c'mon like you wouldnt like to lounge on a couch whilst casually browsing the world :P

i asked at xbox-scene but so far no one has shown any interest

Comment

Would be an interesting side project.. and may become more feaseable once the OS X/Linux port is started or done.

As it is now.. I think an XBox port is not that high on the "things to do next" list.

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by reaction105@Mar 7 2005, 01:29 AM
            haha oh c'mon like you wouldnt like to lounge on a couch whilst casually browsing the world :P

i asked at xbox-scene but so far no one has shown any interest
            You could always just get a video card with S-Video or RCA out and hook your compy up to your TV, and get a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, or better yet, one of those programmable game controllers *gears turning* Hmm...that's not such a bad idea...
            Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
            Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
            Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

yeah i know it probly isnt high on the to do list, but it was just something that occured to me... im not demanding its completion :P but yes, it would be an interesting side project. i thought it would be cool to have it along with the media centers, dvd players and emulators etc available on xbox

5of0, i actually tried something similar to that awhile ago, except i hooked my pc up to a projector and had a spin through worldwind...it kicked ass to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by reaction105@Mar 8 2005, 04:19 AM
                yeah i know it probly isnt high on the to do list, but it was just something that occured to me... im not demanding its completion :P but yes, it would be an interesting side project. i thought it would be cool to have it along with the media centers, dvd players and emulators etc available on xbox

5of0, i actually tried something similar to that awhile ago, except i hooked my pc up to a projector and had a spin through worldwind...it kicked a** to say the least.
                Oh, wow...hadn't thought of using a projector, but we have one, and a BIG blank wall at my mom's school...with 1.3's fullscreen...I'm drooling already! ^_^

But please, language isn't necessary.
                Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
                Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
                Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

Having been looking at the structure of .Net I can see how this is possible now. I don't have an XBox but if released it would be available on XBox Live ? Would it need any licenses or whatever ?

I think it would be great to give some console people a lookin on GIS world.
                  MyMusic, MyBlog, Space Data Wiki Project

Comment

I think there were problems due to xbox live networking limitations, adamhill is the one to ask, I'd love WW on any console.
                    Bull_[UK]

Comment

OK. Thanks for the name. I'm noting them down. I have a terrible memory .
                      MyMusic, MyBlog, Space Data Wiki Project

Comment

if this gets done, i might get involved.

Comment

So I gave it a quick look...

XBOX 360 dev = XNA
                          XNA is based on a native port of the .NET Compact .NET framework 2.0
                          Releasing a title necessitates the acquirement of a 99$ dev license.

Technically, this seems to be feasible - look at this guy (who should get involved) - he did worldwind with the .NET compact framework for a PDA port:
                          http://www.brains-n-brawn.com/defaul...ir=cfworldwind

I am tempted, although I do not want to spend the cost for the license. Also, what about copyright? I'd be inclined to try it if i can get mentioned as being reponsible for the port, and eventually sell the title for a small(!) fee (e.g. 4.99$) - sorry, i am self employed and need to make a living. Open source is cool, and I also want to give something back (which I would with the code) - maybe splitting the revenue would be feasible?

Also, the XBOX live statutes require the publisher to hold the copyright to the app itself - how to deal with that? I wouldn´t hold any copyright to anything, maybe just the port.

This would also be my first title for an XBOX 360, i have never looked into console dev, but i feel that it could eventually be done.

Comment

Just to clarify:
                            i am open to everything as long as i can pay my bills.

Comment

As far as I can see this would have to be a non-NASA project anyway so the port would belong to whoever made it, I can totally understand that if you spent a lot of time on this you would need money to support yourself.

As for the xbox 360 xna I think there are limitations with networking which cause an issue, maybe MicroSoft would make an exception in this case I don't know, Adam Hill has looked into this the most, if you could get him and Casey on-board it would be good, I'll point him towards this thread if I see him on irc.
                              Bull_[UK]

Comment

Working...
                              X