WorldWind XNA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WorldWind XNA

Being one of those guys who felt abandoned along with .NET :(, I've been feverishly working on a similar application in XNA. I started by looking at NASA WW.NET, but being relatively new to WorldWind AND new to XNA, I had some trouble - so the code is new and different.

So far, I have great camera control, an atmosphere, tile support, terrain, and extensible layer support for services such as Open Street Maps, NASA Landsat 7, and USGS imagery. If anyone's looking to get back into the .NET arena, I could really use the help.

I've published most of it as an open BSD license - so I can get as much help as possible.

Anyone interested can check it out on sourceforge at:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/xnaglobe

Thanks!
    xnaRoadRash

Good work, do you have any compiled binaries? I haven't got VS installed here yet.
    Bull_[UK]

Comment

It is looking nice. How much WW is in the code? Or did you have to start over with most of the development?

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

XnaGlobe Questions

Well, I started by looking at WW.NET, but much of the code I've written is different. I love WW, but my only complaint is the lack of comments. Perhaps it's just me, but I really struggled when trying to trace the code. So to answer your question, I think if you looked at the source you'd see that some of the concepts are similar, but implementations are different. (Basically I gave up on porting WW directly and just decided to "wing-it" by building my own.)

For example, I couldn't figure out how WW was building and managing the binary triangle trees for the terrain mesh. So for the time being I just used fixed mesh spacing. Some things, however, such as the atmosphere shader come directly from NWW.

I'll try to build and upload a binary in the next day or so. I won't guarantee that there will be an install package, but as with most .NET projects hopefully an XCopy will work provided you have .NET 3.5 and XNA GS 3.0 on your system.

Any help or guidance you guys could provide would be great. WW has some great features that I know would be difficult for me, being a beginner, to implement in XNA.

Comment

Binaries Uploaded

I uploaded the binaries. Good luck - I haven't tested it on any computers other than my own.

Comment

Thanks I'll give it a try, if you manage to improve the atmosphere code let me know, I looked at adding atmospheric haze based on horizon colour but didn't get that far, it was interesting learning about shaders and I do intend to give it another try in the future.
            Bull_[UK]

Comment

I hope you get it to work. It's still very early in development and quite finiky about where the texture files are located. If you have problems, feel free to let me know and I'll see if I can walk you through it.

Comment

My aim is not to upset anyone or deprive them of proper credit, so if you feel I may have failed to properly credit anyone in any of the XnaGlobe files, please leave a post on the SourceForge page. I've created a new forum just for that purpose.

Thanks!

Comment

XNAGlobe

Hi xnaroadrash,

i'd be willing to join you in that XNAGlobe project of yours, provided I get more information.

The binaries are not working for me (I got however Game Studio 3.1 installed, and not 3.0 any longer).

A checkout of the source from the SVN offered at Sourceforge revealed some missing files (apparently some if not all the ico-*.pngs are missing), but I could get those from the binary distribution.

I am still trying to compile the sources, yet there seem to be a lot of NASA WW files missing:

Fehler CS1504: Die Quelldatei "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chris\Desktop\SVN-Transfers\XNA-Worldwind\trunk\XnaGlobe\TileSystem\Prov iders\Public\OsmhImageProvider.cs" konnte nicht geöffnet werden ("Unbekannter Fehler ").
                  Fehler CS1504: Die Quelldatei "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chris\Desktop\SVN-Transfers\XNA-Worldwind\trunk\XnaGlobe\Controls\WorldC hecklistItem.cs" konnte nicht geöffnet werden ("Unbekannter Fehler ").
                  Fehler CS1504: Die Quelldatei "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chris\Desktop\SVN-Transfers\XNA-Worldwind\trunk\XnaGlobe\TileSystem\Prov iders\Usgs\UsgsImageProvider.cs" konnte nicht geöffnet werden ("Unbekannter Fehler ").
                  Fehler CS1504: Die Quelldatei "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chris\Desktop\SVN-Transfers\XNA-Worldwind\trunk\XnaGlobe\Controls\WorldM essage.cs" konnte nicht geöffnet werden ("Unbekannter Fehler ").
                  Fehler CS1504: Die Quelldatei "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chris\Desktop\SVN-Transfers\XNA-Worldwind\trunk\XnaGlobe\Controls\WorldD rawableChecklistItem.cs" konnte nicht geöffnet werden ("Unbekannter Fehler ").
                  Fehler CS1504: Die Quelldatei "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chris\Desktop\SVN-Transfers\XNA-Worldwind\trunk\XnaGlobe\Controls\WorldM enu.cs" konnte nicht geöffnet werden ("Unbekannter Fehler ").
                  Fehler CS1504: Die Quelldatei "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chris\Desktop\SVN-Transfers\XNA-Worldwind\trunk\XnaGlobe\TileSystem\Prov iders\Public\OsmaImageProvider.cs" konnte nicht geöffnet werden ("Unbekannter Fehler ").
                  Fehler CS1504: Die Quelldatei "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chris\Desktop\SVN-Transfers\XNA-Worldwind\trunk\XnaGlobe\Controls\WorldL ogo.cs" konnte nicht geöffnet werden ("Unbekannter Fehler ").
                  Fehler CS1504: Die Quelldatei "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chris\Desktop\SVN-Transfers\XNA-Worldwind\trunk\XnaGlobe\Controls\WorldC lock.cs" konnte nicht geöffnet werden ("Unbekannter Fehler ").
                  Fehler CS1504: Die Quelldatei "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chris\Desktop\SVN-Transfers\XNA-Worldwind\trunk\XnaGlobe\Controls\WorldS tatus.cs" konnte nicht geöffnet werden ("Unbekannter Fehler ").
                  Fehler CS1504: Die Quelldatei "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chris\Desktop\SVN-Transfers\XNA-Worldwind\trunk\XnaGlobe\Controls\WorldC heckList.cs" konnte nicht geöffnet werden ("Unbekannter Fehler ").
                  Fehler CS1504: Die Quelldatei "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chris\Desktop\SVN-Transfers\XNA-Worldwind\trunk\XnaGlobe\Controls\WorldR eticle.cs" konnte nicht geöffnet werden ("Unbekannter Fehler ").
                  Fehler CS1504: Die Quelldatei "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chris\Desktop\SVN-Transfers\XNA-Worldwind\trunk\XnaGlobe\Controls\WorldM enuButton.cs" konnte nicht geöffnet werden ("Unbekannter Fehler ").
                  Fehler CS1504: Die Quelldatei "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chris\Desktop\SVN-Transfers\XNA-Worldwind\trunk\XnaGlobe\Controls\WorldC ompass.cs" konnte nicht geöffnet werden ("Unbekannter Fehler ").
                  Fehler CS1504: Die Quelldatei "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chris\Desktop\SVN-Transfers\XNA-Worldwind\trunk\XnaGlobe\Controls\WorldM ap.cs" konnte nicht geöffnet werden ("Unbekannter Fehler ").

Kompilierung abgeschlossen -- 15 Fehler, 0 Warnungen

Comment

WorldWind XNA

what about developing a XEXloader using XNA?

Comment

Working...
                    X