Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things that need to be fixed in the Beta...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that need to be fixed in the Beta...

Hi,
    For whoever might be interested, here are a list of things that need to be fixed in the Beta. I've entered them as bugs in JIRA, but they don't seem to be drawing a lot of attention over there. Please let me know if there is any hope of having these things looked at before a final release.

1. Overlapping ESRI Shapefiles cause massive distortions. This is a big problem for us since we are viewing a large number of coverage diagrams and when they overlap, the tinted regions surrounding them multiply to create a huge black blob. This was not a problem in V1.3.5. WW-690
    UPDATE: Related to another bug which has already been fixed. There is hope...

2. Icons imported from KML Placemarks no longer have a visible discription like that of Icons imported from XML. I'm not sure if there is any way to see this. Maybe it's going to be a pop-up bubble or something similar to Google Earth, but so far I can't seem to find it. WW-686
    UPDATE: The descriptions are supposed to be in a pop-up bubble, which doesn't work...

UPDATE 2: The code for displaying discriptions in the lower left hand corner is still in the KMLImporter.cs file. It has just been commented out. I uncommented it and it works just fine. Please either get the bubbles to pop up, or put the description code back in.

3. KML Icons drawn at altitude always have the extrude line turned on even if the linewidth is set to 0. WW-624 UPDATE: KML Importer doesn't process <linestyle>, so it doesn't know about <linewidth>. This should be added...

4. Icon descriptions now show up in Layer Manager under the Icon name. This is a problem because I'm loading up a huge number of icons. Couldn't the descripion be added to the "Info" box that pops up when you right click the icon name? WW-697 UPDATE: This has been Fixed!!!

Any help on any of these items, especially Number 1 up there would be really great!
    Thanks,
    James
    Last edited by James_In_Utah; 01-10-2007, 09:58 PM.

...well, at least you can load shapefiles...haven't gotten that far myself
    "No Silicon Heaven?! Preposterous!...where would all the calculators go?"

Comment

The thing is, it worked so well in V1.3.5. I can't imagine why this new problem has shown up. I wonder if it has something to do with the new lighting scheme. No idea. I'll try to find an example shapefile that I can actually post that demonstrates the problem.
      James

Comment

Good idea, actually. I've been converting shapefiles from MapInfo and maybe that's half my problem.

Dave
        Last edited by David Lockwood; 12-12-2006, 06:17 PM.
        "No Silicon Heaven?! Preposterous!...where would all the calculators go?"

Comment

Originally posted by James_In_Utah
          3. KML Icons drawn at altitude always have the extrude line turned on even if the linewidth is set to 0. WW-624
          I think most of the vector drawing apps I've used interpret a line width of zero to mean that you want as thin of a line as possible in the context. If you don't want the line to appear at all then why include it?

Comment

Withak,
            It has to do with the way the data is produced. I we use one template to produce the header portion of the placemark, which says what kind of plot to make, "Current", "History", or some other, then the body comes from another template which has Lat/Lon info. In the body template it always includes the <Extrude> 1 </Extrude> tag. In the header, I can set the line style, which includes color and width. I'm pretty sure a linewidth of 0 pixels should not be drawn. This works great in Google Earth, which our customers currently use to view the data. License fees being what they are, it would be great to switch to WW, but this would be one potential hold up. I'm sure that once 1.4 is release, I can track down the code responsible for drawing that line and put an "if(linewidth >= 1) in front of it, but I'd rather have it in the release.
            Thanks,
            James

Comment

Why not just use WW's native format? Seems like trying to use kml outside of GE just adds unnecessary complications.

Comment

Hi,
                3. KML Icons drawn at altitude always have the extrude line turned on even if the linewidth is set to 0. WW-624
                It looks like style info for the extrude line isn't considered by the plugin at all. If the extrude option is turned on for an icon then a red line from the icon to the ground gets drawn, that's it.

Comment

ShapeFile Distortion...

I found a shape file that I'm able to put out in the world, so hopefully the image below will demonstrate the issue. The first one is with no shape, the second one is with a single shape, please notice the darkened region around the shape, and the third one is with two overlapping shapes. Notice the darkened region has doubled in darkeness. This increased tinting continues to get worse and worse with more shapes. Eventually it blots out the whole picture. This is a big problem for me, and any help here would be greatly appreciated. I have attached the shapes in a zip file also. This is not a problem in V1.3.5, so something must have changed.
                  Thanks,
                  James

Attached Files
                  Last edited by James_In_Utah; 01-06-2008, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Hi,
                    2. Icons imported from KML Placemarks no longer have a visible discription like that of Icons imported from XML. I'm not sure if there is any way to see this. Maybe it's going to be a pop-up bubble or something similar to Google Earth, but so far I can't seem to find it. WW-686
                    It's supposed to be in an html bubble (apparently from a Summer of Code project). I don't know why the bubble doesn't work.

Comment

I would love a bubble. That would be way cool. Right now I can't see anything. By the way, take a look at the screen shots above if you get a chance.
                      Thanks,
                      James

Comment

Code for the bubble is there, I don't know why it doesn't appear.

The shapefiles I try don't do that.

Comment

I attached the shapes. Give them a try if you like....
                          James

Comment

For the regular icon descriptions, I'm guessing that the problem is that Description items got added as an option for regular layers (with the text appearing in the LM), and now icon descriptions get handled as those kinds of descriptions instead of the kind they originally were. Should be just a matter of finding where the Description in handled for the LM and making it do something different for icons.

Comment

I attached the shapes. Give them a try if you like....
                              James
                              It's an opacity issues. Making the opacity 255 makes the shading go away. I think there used to be a similiar problem with wms layers, maybe whatever fixed that needs to be done to shapefile layers too.

Comment

Working...
                              X