World Wind 1.4 beta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Wind 1.4 beta

The first beta of 1.4 is available on this wiki page. Edit the wiki with any bugs. Keep in mind that bugs in this case means things that are broken, not new features that you want. If we are lucky then there may even be a developer around who can fix them.

This beta should be able to be installed at the same time as your existing 1.3 without breaking anything.

Some of the new features:
    * Placenames and boundaries are downloaded from a server and cached so they don't need to come with the installer any more
    * Linefeatures and Polygon features
    * kml importer improvement
    * terrain rendering improvements
    * real-time sunlight shading and atmospheric scattering
    * basic time control
    * embedded web browser

These are just the things I can remember, there are more.

Comment

More: http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki...ures_1_3_6-1_4

So start testing all those features now
      Hot stuff: FAQ, forum search, DirectX, .NET, Video Card Compatibility list

Comment

hi

why is there a 1.3.6 and a 1.4 version? why two ?

Best regards

stargate

Comment

Originally posted by stargate
          hi

why is there a 1.3.6 and a 1.4 version? why two ?

Best regards

stargate
          1.3.6 requires .Net framework version 1.1, 1.4 - .Net 2.0
          that's the difference...

There is 1.3.6 because WW is used in schools, government agencies, etc. where admins don't like installing new software and it takes years to switch from 1.1 to 2.0...

Comment

If I already have V1.3.5 running under .Net 1.1, and I install .Net 2.0, and V1.4, will the old .Net 1.1 be removed? Will WW V1.3.5 still function?
            Thanks,
            James

Comment

No, .Net 1.1 won't be removed. You can have both versions without problems.
              And yes, 1.3.5 will still work.

Comment

The icon hyperlink not opening in the integral browser is a downer for me. Also wonder if the browser window could be docked/undocked

Comment

Is 1.4 going to be in a different folder than 1.3.6? When I installed 1.3.5 it put all of the files in a folder named "World Wind 1.3". Is 1.4 going to be put into a folder named "World Wind 1.4" because if it is and 1.3.6 goes to "World Wind 1.3" that could make installing add-ons confusing for some if they are self-extracting files.
                  Or is this a non-issue that I just haven't thought of how it actually is a non-issue yet?
                  I don't spread the word, I spread the world!
                  Road Map for World Wind development and release
                  I do not know .Net or DirectX.

Comment

When you installed 1.3.5, you had an option to change the name. I changed it to 1.3.5 to avoid confusion.
                    James

Comment

Originally posted by James_In_Utah
                      When you installed 1.3.5, you had an option to change the name. I changed it to 1.3.5 to avoid confusion.
                      James
                      I just was thinking that those new to World Wind might become confused if they installed an add-on that wouldn't load simply because they might not have known to change the install directory of either World Wind or the add-on to what it is on their system.

Comment

I don't think anyone has worked on the installer for 1.4/1.3.6 yet.

I know that add-on installers can get the WW path for your PC (it's not hard-coded into the installer) so it should be able to figure out where you really put WW.
                        Last edited by withak; 11-07-2006, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by withak
                          I know that add-on installers can get the WW path for your PC (it's not hard-coded into the installer) so it should be able to figure out where you really put WW.
                          I don't know how to do that, I just use the Zip2exe function that comes with NSIS. I'd like to learn how to but every attempt of mine to learn from the example files has failed.

Comment

Is it possible that Saturn's imagery could be put on a server so that it can be included with the 1.3.6 and 1.4, like how Jupiter was added to the World Wind installer?

Comment

Thats the plan, Chris has the Saturn files, but hasn't put them on a server yet, I'll have to poke him with the big stick again.
                              Bull_[UK]

Comment

Working...
                              X