X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.4.1 issues

I' baaack...

*crickets*

Well, okay...I'm kinda back with a new account anyway. (Can someone fix that for me? It never sends me the reset email) Now that Bull has a build out I guess I need to track down James' icon performance issues or revert the code. Reverting will be pretty ugly since the change was structural to ROL and Icons.

Do we have a list of things that need to be done before a release release?

There is still a blocking issue between Rismo's code and ROL locks I think. I think it appears when you try to close WW in certain circumstances.

So I think I own the only two (or 1 and a half) show stopper bugs. The whole thread safety stuff within WW.Net needs a good looking through.

I have a mix of the old code and new code that draws my 5000 or so icons OK. I think the changes are pretty much limited to Icons.cs, world.cs, RenderableObjectslist.cs, and RenderableObjects.cs. I can zip up the old code and post it here if it helps. I can also try to make a static KML file that will display a good number of icons if that will be of help. Maybe I already did that. I wll have to check.
    Thanks,
    James

Comment

Yeah, so far I have found no real showstopper bugs, there are issues with Rismo's code and the odd plugin, but I'd like to keep that code as it seems a big improvement over 1.4.

Basically as we are just making a beta don't worry too much about fixing minor stuff, I'd love it if we found the beta was stable enough for a release, but in a way a beta gives us more slack with what we can put in which may be useful (and less of a headache for me, negotiating with NASA on a release is not a fun experience).

Lets use this as the official 1.4.1 bugfix thread, until Adam sets up Jira (any one got a really long stick?).
      Bull_[UK]

Comment

The issue with Rismo's code is that he had pushed ROL deletes into a list that were then handled on the main (gui) thread. But you need to do this for both adds and deletes because you can end up with blocking for either one.

The problem then was things in WW and plugins assumed that an add or delete happened immediately so you'd end up with breakage because somethings avoided using the getters and setters but hit the ROL array directly. They would do an ROL.add(...) then try to get at those objects immediately and they weren't there. Or they'd do an ROL.remove(...) and maybe do a dispose on it or something else not nice. So when you got around to handling deletes the object was bad or in some not good state.

The breakage can be pretty obvious (crash) or somewhat more subtle (ROs don't render or behave right).

I don't remember what is in the code right this minute but add and deletes need to be immediate OR we need to make sure everybody is going through the setters and getters for ROs.

The latter is the "right" way of doing things but requires the most work and most breakage among plugins. If you do the first way, we need to get rid of any calls to the gui thread that might block. The biggest thing that does this is probably his reporting of status to the download page from his worker threads.

Comment

More problems with the code -

<Nowak> ah btw. that 1.4.1 alpha has some problems handling "no tile there" tiles
          <Nowak> basically it freezes the downloads of other tiles if you zoom into a region of "no tiles"
          <Nowak> zoom out and zoom into a region with data
          <Nowak>
          <Nowak> ah, and if i return 404 when there is no tile
          <Nowak> ww will just loop over requesting the same tile again and again and again
          <Nowak> got a nice 2 screens worth of logs requesting same tile
          <Nowak> before i changed getTile
          <Nowak> http://rafb.net/p/kXCldj53.html
          <Nowak> basically world wind saying "laalalalalala, i dont hear you!"

Nigel what do you suggest, a revert or do you wan't to try fixing it?
          Bull_[UK]

Comment

Originally posted by bull View Post
            More problems with the code -

<Nowak> ah btw. that 1.4.1 alpha has some problems handling "no tile there" tiles
            <Nowak> basically it freezes the downloads of other tiles if you zoom into a region of "no tiles"
            <Nowak> zoom out and zoom into a region with data
            <Nowak>
            <Nowak> ah, and if i return 404 when there is no tile
            <Nowak> ww will just loop over requesting the same tile again and again and again
            <Nowak> got a nice 2 screens worth of logs requesting same tile
            <Nowak> before i changed getTile
            <Nowak> http://rafb.net/p/kXCldj53.html
            <Nowak> basically world wind saying "laalalalalala, i dont hear you!"

Nigel what do you suggest, a revert or do you wan't to try fixing it?
            Who me? I'm working on WWJ now.

I guess I can look at it after I fix the ROL issues. Fixing 404 issues should be somewhat obvious. Maybe. I'm guessing whatever is catching exceptions isn't dealing with 404s.

Comment

We ran into this problem when hitting our tile server on our closed LAN. If I zoom to a level where we don't have tiles, WW just hammers the server for the same tile, even though the server is correctly returning a 404. Finally, I just had the server return an empty .jpg with the name of the tile being requested. That seemed to work. I'd love to get WW fixed though.
              Thanks,
              James

Comment

Yup you, you seem to be the only mature WW dev we have left still interested in .Net, how come everyone is switching sides on me
                Bull_[UK]

Comment

Originally posted by bull View Post
                  Yup you, you seem to be the only mature WW dev we have left still interested in .Net, how come everyone is switching sides on me
                  Hey I'm trying to figure things out in .NET!

Edit: oh you said "mature"

Comment

Hehe yep, I do appreciate you trying to help out Ammianus and as soon as you are ready for SVN access let me know, the download code is messy which is why I said someone mature in WW coding
                    Bull_[UK]

Comment

Spare him, Bull_[UK] - give him everything but not the download code :P

Ammianus: download code is cursed - everyone who touches it disappears in 7 days...
                      Hot stuff: FAQ, forum search, DirectX, .NET, Video Card Compatibility list

Comment

That is true....
                        Bull_[UK]

Comment

I should probably get around to asking for SVN access. I'll probably do that this week if I find some spare time.
                          sigpic

Comment

Cool Nick, it has been a while since we have seen any code from our team down under, just let me know your SourceForge username and I'll hook you up.
                            Bull_[UK]

Comment

Originally posted by m_k View Post
                              Ammianus: download code is cursed - everyone who touches it disappears in 7 days...
                              You only say that because people disappear...

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Working...
                              X