Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the difference between WW 1.3 (381.5 MB) and 1.3.5 (66.5 MB) on sourceforge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference between WW 1.3 (381.5 MB) and 1.3.5 (66.5 MB) on sourceforge?

Does anyone know what accounts for the different file sizes? Additional layers? .NET components? Just curious as there is no explanation that I could find. Thanks.

Additional layers. 1.3 is shipped with old Blue Marble (1km/px), 1.3.5 uses Blue Marble Next Generation (12 sets for each month, 500m/px) downloaded from NASA servers.
    (I'm not 100% sure - it was sooo long time ago
    Hot stuff: FAQ, forum search, DirectX, .NET, Video Card Compatibility list

Comment

What cache packs need to be installed for 3D terrain display?

Thank you for the info. I am learning about plate tectonics and was looking for a virtual globe that would display topograpy and bathymetry with highly exaggerated terrain for use on an offline computer.

I've installed World Wind 1.3.5 from Sourceforge on the offline computer.

What cache packs from WorldWindData.com do I have to install before World Wind will display 3D terrain?

I have read on the forum that World Wind starts at the Blue Marble Next Generation layer and then switches to the Landsat layer automatically when showing higher levels of detail at lower altitudes. After what layer level does World Wind switch from Blue Marble Next Generation to Landsat imagery? If the switch happens after Blue Marble Next Generation level 3, do I need to install the cache packs for Blue Marble Next Generation levels 0,1,2, and 3, and Landsat level 0 and SRTM90 level 0-4 at a minimum in order for World Wind to display 3D terrain... or can I just install the Landsat level 0 and SRTM90 level 0-4 cache packs and the terrain will display once I zoom in close enough? Thanks.

Comment

Sorry, nevermind m_k.

I found that you answered this question on 09-07-2006. It has been a long time!

Comment

I think another change was when WW stopped including the placename database, and political boundaries. They are all now downloaded on the fly as needed.

Comment

Working...
          X