Custom Terrain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Terrain

I am trying to make a custom layer but I am not sure how to add custom terrain. I want to add a TIN, DEM or raster image with terrain capabilities. Does anyone know how?
    I can add shapefiles, and images, I know how to make my own plant but not this.
    Anyone able to help?
    Thanks

Adding your own terrain is a closely-held secret.

Comment

Originally posted by withak @ Apr 11 2006, 09:36 AM
      Quoted postAdding your own terrain is a closely-held secret.
      I am trying to create a program with my professor to view certain aspects of the earths interior in 3-D.
      Anyone willing to tell me the secret?
      Last edited by 5of0; 10-09-2006, 03:58 PM.

Comment

That sounds really cool. Post your question in the Add-on & Script Development forum or the Developers forum and hopefully someone who knows the secret will help you. There are probably others interested in hearing the secret too. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Boo!

http://forum.worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/index....wtopic=6471&hl=

Last edited by 5of0; 10-09-2006, 03:58 PM.
          Donate to support your community!
          Please donate if you can - every donation helps improve World Wind

World Wind Central - FAQs, Hotspots, Wiki and more...READ before posting!

Need to upload files? Use my free 50Mb uploader!
          Or, how about some web hosting or web design?

Comment

Originally posted by Guest_StudentGeologist_* @ Apr 11 2006, 08:57 AM
            Quoted post
            I am trying to make a custom layer but I am not sure how to add custom terrain. I want to add a TIN, DEM or raster image with terrain capabilities. Does anyone know how?
            Anyone able to help?
            Thanks
            It should be fairly easy if you take a shortcut and populate one of the datasets you don't use much. You get the dataset info from the earth or images config files, use a spreadsheet to calculate the coordinates and tile filename reference and then assign these to the image/terrain data you want to display. I do the opposite and use a macro to write a config file from the spreadsheet to resample image or terrain data into Fsim processing hundreds of images at a time.

Andy
            Last edited by 5of0; 10-09-2006, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest Fsim Nut @ Apr 13 2006, 05:59 AM
              Quoted post
              <
              Originally posted by Guest_StudentGeologist_* @ Apr 11 2006, 08:57 AM
              Quoted post
              Anyone able to help?
              Thanks
              It should be fairly easy if you take a shortcut and populate one of the datasets you don't use much. You get the dataset info from the earth or images config files, use a spreadsheet to calculate the coordinates and tile filename reference and then assign these to the image/terrain data you want to display. I do the opposite and use a macro to write a config file from the spreadsheet to resample image or terrain data into Fsim processing hundreds of images at a time.

Andy
              I didn't understand everything you said (I'm a geologist not a programmer) but it is a really good start and I'm sure I can figure most of it out. Thanks a million!
              Last edited by 5of0; 10-09-2006, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I&#39;m not either but have been on the fringe since the 80&#39;s. Your DEM/images will need to be in the same file formats as WW or it won&#39;t know how to handle them (I expect). BIL for the DEM data, Int16 LSB 150x150. JPG or DDS 512 x 512 for the images. They also need to be in WGS84 or spherical? projection

You will probably find for the images that you can replace an existing WW tile(or where it would be) with your own image data. If the base level of the tile (level 0) covers 2 x 2 deg and is 512 x 512, then an image 8192 x 8192 covering that area would be equal to level 4 but located in level 0. If it works like Celestia it should display the image. Not sure you could do the same with the DEM data.

I assume you have image data that is georeferenced so you can cut images for placement withinin WW, or clone a config to suit your dataset tilesize. You don&#39;t need to cover the whole earth and should be able to locate your data at the location it should appear.

Should be fun.

Guest Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Guest @ Apr 13 2006, 08:50 PM
                  Quoted post
                  I'm not either but have been on the fringe since the 80's. Your DEM/images will need to be in the same file formats as WW or it won't know how to handle them (I expect). BIL for the DEM data, Int16 LSB 150x150. JPG or DDS 512 x 512 for the images. They also need to be in WGS84 or spherical? projection

You will probably find for the images that you can replace an existing WW tile(or where it would be) with your own image data. If the base level of the tile (level 0) covers 2 x 2 deg and is 512 x 512, then an image 8192 x 8192 covering that area would be equal to level 4 but located in level 0. If it works like Celestia it should display the image. Not sure you could do the same with the DEM data.

I assume you have image data that is georeferenced so you can cut images for placement withinin WW, or clone a config to suit your dataset tilesize. You don't need to cover the whole earth and should be able to locate your data at the location it should appear.

Should be fun.

Guest Andy
                  A couple of quick questions. What does Int16 LSB 150X150 mean and is it important? Does 512X512 mean pixel size? What is the level a reference to? What programs export .bil? Thanks alot this has been a big help.
                  Last edited by 5of0; 10-09-2006, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentGeologist @ Apr 14 2006, 11:10 AM
                    Quoted post
                    A couple of quick questions. What does Int16 LSB 150X150 mean and is it important? Does 512X512 mean pixel size? What is the level a reference to? What programs export .bil? Thanks alot this has been a big help.
                    Int16 LSB 150x150 probably means:
                    16-bit Integer format
                    Least Significant Byte
                    150x150 elevation points

And 512x512 is the image size. Level is what resolution you're at. World Wind works with levels - a level 0 tile is the closest zoomed in. 4 level 0 tiles make a level 1 tile, four level 1s make a level 2, etc.
                    Last edited by 5of0; 10-09-2006, 04:00 PM.
                    Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
                    Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
                    Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

Originally posted by 5of0 @ Apr 14 2006, 09:59 PM
                      Quoted post
                      Originally posted by StudentGeologist @ Apr 14 2006, 11:10 AM
                      Quoted post
                      Int16 LSB 150x150 probably means:
                      16-bit Integer format
                      Least Significant Byte
                      150x150 elevation points

And 512x512 is the image size. Level is what resolution you're at. World Wind works with levels - a level 0 tile is the closest zoomed in. 4 level 0 tiles make a level 1 tile, four level 1s make a level 2, etc.
                      This is all excellent info - thanks!
                      I was finally able to convert my raster image into a .bil file. I am having trouble importing it in. I think I am messin' up with the .xml file format. Not sure how to do it. I am trying to put it into a world I created so the equatorial radius is a little smaller. I am not sure if I need to put the file in a special directory and not sure what command to use in the .xml file so the program will call on it. Hmmm? Thanks for the help.
                      Last edited by 5of0; 10-09-2006, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Ok, I assumed(based on what you wanted to do) you were a bit more advanced than it seems since you are studying in a field that would be right into this stuff. No problem, you need to start somewhere.

Microdem and 3Dem would be good applications to get hold of.

http://www.usna.edu/Users/oceano/pguth/microdem/win32/

This should pretty well set you up for info on all formats and tools
                        http://www.grime.net/gistools/
                        http://www.digitalgrove.net/Links.htm

You&#39;ll have to google for 3dem

There&#39;s a thread somwhere in the forums on the BIL format

What happened to the math.... Int 16 = 16 bit integer, LSB/MSB least/most significant byte order

I guess you have a bit of a task ahead of you if you can&#39;t get away with a simple DEM format conversion and hack it into WW as I outlined previously. Imagery is fairly straight forward.

Keep at it.

Andy

Comment

Op&#39;s I didn&#39;t see there were a couple of other posts. It looks like you are underway with the format conversion.

You are going to have to get into the way WW displays the tiles to figure out how you can relate them to WW&#39;s world, then produce your tiles to match and name them so they fit correctly. That&#39;s where a spreadsheet comes in handy.

This is for landsat imagery with 2deg level 0 tiles(calculating for level 5) but it should give you a rough idea if it displays ok.

deg. Km Lat Long Res Km Res m

0 2 222
                          1 1 111
                          2 0.5 55.5
                          3 0.25 27.75
                          4 0.125 13.875
                          5 0.0625 6.9375 2880 5760 0.0135498 13.549805
                          6 0.03125 3.46875 5760 11520 0.0067749 6.7749023

High Wide Tiles
                          16 16 256

UL 943 4720 -31 115 -32 116

LR 928 4735

eg Upper Left of tile 0943_4720

943+1 * 0.0625 - 90 = -31 4720 * 0.0625 -180 = 115

= S31 E115

Comment

Originally posted by Guest @ Apr 14 2006, 09:12 PM
                            Quoted post
                            Op's I didn't see there were a couple of other posts. It looks like you are underway with the format conversion.

You are going to have to get into the way WW displays the tiles to figure out how you can relate them to WW's world, then produce your tiles to match and name them so they fit correctly. That's where a spreadsheet comes in handy.

This is for landsat imagery with 2deg level 0 tiles(calculating for level 5) but it should give you a rough idea if it displays ok.

deg. Km Lat Long Res Km Res m

0 2 222
                            1 1 111
                            2 0.5 55.5
                            3 0.25 27.75
                            4 0.125 13.875
                            5 0.0625 6.9375 2880 5760 0.0135498 13.549805
                            6 0.03125 3.46875 5760 11520 0.0067749 6.7749023

High Wide Tiles
                            16 16 256

UL 943 4720 -31 115 -32 116

LR 928 4735

eg Upper Left of tile 0943_4720

943+1 * 0.0625 - 90 = -31 4720 * 0.0625 -180 = 115

= S31 E115
                            Thanks again,
                            Do I need to create a speadsheet in this format and then convert it to an .xml file? How do I reference it back to my original .xml file that calls for the terrain? It has a space for serverURL- do I put the name and location of the directory with these files in it? What format does the name have to be in because you said I have to name it correctly?
                            Thanks with all of this info I'm making loads of progress.
                            Last edited by 5of0; 10-09-2006, 04:02 PM.

Comment

I did some more research and I think I&#39;m starting to understand the naming, tile size and format. I am still really fuzzy and can&#39;t find any information about how to format the .xml and the spreadsheet your talking about. Any clues or templates??
                              Thanks,
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X