Maps for off-line use, need the basics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maps for off-line use, need the basics

For my World Wind based application I need to include a base set of maps that are resident on the computer for use when network connectivity is down. I do not currently have any maps and I am looking to download open source maps or buy some maps. I have a couple questions.

1. Anyone recommend a place to get maps for South America? Terrain maps would be more useful than street maps.
    2. Is there any documentation that walks through importing maps for use with World Wind? I found this link that describes the Imagery Importer. It is not clear what format the input imagery should be in.
    3. My assumption would be I would get a georeferenced image and use the Imagery Importer to generate a local map cache. Is there a different method I should consider? I see many map providers providing data in shp files. From looking at the data I presume this is not a image but information on the area that could be used to generate a map image. Is this something that can be used with World Wind, possibly with additional tools?

I know these are some pretty basic questions but I am just looking for a good starting point, maybe some documentation. Thanks.

When using WWJ online the tiles go into your cache.
    When offline you can view the tiles but of course you cannot download any more.

Get used to the 'Search' function in the forum as this and most other questions have been answered.

There have been several threads on importing .tif images as well as .kml and .kmz

There is a good API that comes in the WWJ download also.
    Last edited by nlneilson; 02-12-2014, 09:38 PM.
    Neil
    http://www.nlneilson.com

Comment

If i can tell, this is not clear about what you data is composed of, is it raster images (jpeg, geotiff,..) or vector data (shapefiles, even kmls...). WWJ has API and examples for both types, but you have to know that raster is far more efficient than vector, vector if too heavy will overload WWJ, and requires much more programming than raster, because you're handling objects, with types, attributes... Dig and try the examples, adapt one or two to your own needs, before integrating/reproducing them in your bigger software. That's the way i personally proceed. Good Luck for your project.

Comment

Working...
      X