Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

easy way to incorporate the 2GB visible earth PNG images into World Wind?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easy way to incorporate the 2GB visible earth PNG images into World Wind?

Hi folks. Is there an easy way to incorporate the 2GB Visible Earth PNG images into World Wind? I downloaded the 2 gb torrent, which delivers 8 files, entitled "world.topo.bathy.200407.3x21600x21600.A 1" through "...D2" which are very cool, but not very fun to play with. They're basically the biggest Blue Marble images available to the public, divided into eight vertical strips of a couple hundred megs each. Is there a simple way to dump them into a folder in World Wind so that World Wind will project them on a globe?

Can you display them as ground overlays using KML importer? You just need to specify the bounding box for each, and provide the path to the correct file. It should work. Let me know if you need a sample KML file using groundoverlays.
    James

Comment

The easiest way - just use BMNG which is one of the default WW layers...
      Hot stuff: FAQ, forum search, DirectX, .NET, Video Card Compatibility list

Comment

m_k : I guess I should have specified that I am interested in using these files for offline browsing. Which is why I want to SUBSTITUTE them for the little Blue Marble Next Gen files included with WW, instead of just running the prog and pulling down tiles from the web as needed.

James: I guess I'll have to learn some KML. Thanks.

Comment

Ah... offline use - now it makes sense
          I don't know if dstile handle png files (it should) and if there is any georeference metadata in this torrent, but you can try this - http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Dstile_howto

(BTW tiled BMNG dataset is here http://www.worldwinddata.com/)
          Hot stuff: FAQ, forum search, DirectX, .NET, Video Card Compatibility list

Comment

Working...
          X