Mars images, OnMars config

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mars images, OnMars config

From the same server as OnEarth, high resolution Mars.

Download the config file from http://OnMars.jpl.nasa.gov/OnMars.xml, drop it in Config/Mars in the WorldWind directory, start Mars then look under the OnMars folder in the layers. There should be an MOC_NA layer, select that and zoom in (a lot). It is a sparse but very high resolution Mars mosaic.

Mars Global Surveyor, Mars Observer Camera Narrow Angle (MOC_NA) composite. A 0.5 arc-second composite of more than 50,000 high resolution images of Mars, located between 75N and 75S. It is an uncontrolled mosaic, the images are placed on the global frame based on the best known location, using a simple warp. Location errors are common, but it does match MDIM and MOLA rather well. The mosaic contains more than 300GB of raw image data, and images are still being released, so this layer will be updated if possible.

Credits: JPL/Caltech/USGS/ASU/NASA/MSSS

Now if somebody would modify WW so that the WMS requests use the correct CRS (IAU2000:49900) instead of the earth based one (EPSG:4326), that would be real nice.

Have some fun,

Lucian
    Any views or opinions presented here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Caltech, JPL or NASA. I am not a NASA employee.

Wow, very nice.

Comment

Very cool, but I think we broke it, all I am getting now is white tiles, it also shows a few problems with the way World Wind handles Mars, with VE at 0 everything is fine, at 1 you get a mess and even moving acts weird.
      Bull_[UK]

Comment

Very nice. Very, very nice.
        I don't spread the word, I spread the world!
        Road Map for World Wind development and release
        I do not know .Net or DirectX.

Comment

I'm curious, can both this layer for Mars and the OnEarth layers for the Earth be added to the online @Images.xml files for those worlds so everyone can enjoy them?
          I don't spread the word, I spread the world!
          Road Map for World Wind development and release
          I do not know .Net or DirectX.

Comment

Server is down, hardware move. I will post once it is back up.
            Any views or opinions presented here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Caltech, JPL or NASA. I am not a NASA employee.

Comment

Anybody knows when will we be able to view imagery from MRO?

Comment

Thanks Lucian.
                Bull_[UK]

Comment

Server is working again. I used the downtime to add a level to the cache, it is now a bit better than 0.5 arc-second per pixel. The configuration file was modified to match this.

Comment

Sweet

Will have to look at that tonight.

Earth is Square blog

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this forum post, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.

Comment

Lucian - Can we include the xml in 1.4?
                      Bull_[UK]

Comment

Are there any updates scheduled for this add on ? I don't think it has all the MOC mages in it.

I'm using this addon for Mars research. I've been searching for other images like this one ...

(those are Mars geysers caught in the act ..live) ... using Google Mars. But GM does not map the MOC images straight onto the globe like WW does (at least, not that I know of) ... which makes it very difficult to find anything. The images are linked ... but they should be mapped onto the globe .. the entire point of a WMS / GIS system ! Anyway I digress. So WW MOC images are very useful.
                        MyMusic, MyBlog, Space Data Wiki Project

Comment

The onmars server is at JPL so I'm not sure how they handle stuff, I'm trying to get access to Mars stuff through USGS PIGWAD, they are supplying data in geojpeg2000 so if we can get support for that in WW we should have decent data.
                          Bull_[UK]

Comment

What info are you looking at ? Maybe I can be of help.

I have the entire MOC image database on my site mySQL if that is any help for building a WMS.
                            MyMusic, MyBlog, Space Data Wiki Project

Comment

Have you got any idea where the HIRISE geojpeg2000 files are stored? Those are probably all we need, I think we have the MOC stuff from NASA so that should be fine.
                              Bull_[UK]

Comment

Working...
                              X