dynamic bar scale ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dynamic bar scale ?

Does anyone know of an add-on or plugin that displays a scale (bar scale), perhaps for the view's center-point since the scale varies across the view when it's tilted...

I was thinking more for the top-down 2D view perspective, which should be a strait forward solution based on the view's altitude.

thank you.

why would you want to do that maybe a scale cube. In 3D a scale bar is not sensible. Start thinking of scale cubes.
    Coding This and That in World Wind and helping new people out, as long as they don't pester too much.
    Currently blogging at: http://whatnicklife.blogspot.com
    Working at:
    Aerometrex - http://aerometrex.com.au/blog/
    Impact so far:

Comment

It might be more helpful to modify the lat/lon grid to km/mile/feet/meter/whatever grid. That would get rid of the 3d perspective problem with the cube or scale bar.

It would be a lot more complicated than the lat/lon grid though because it would have to take elevation into account.

Comment

Thanks for the quick feedback. No, I'm not serious about a 3D scale bar. I'm searching an efficient way to illustrate scale of 2D (no tilt, top-down) imagery.

Modifying a lat/lon grid to km/meters/etc. would suffice, so long as the user could specifiy the grid-interval in the layer properties.

Basically, I intend to make and update wildlife tracking maps over a remote region in Mongolia. "Scale" was the first question I got. The study area has 4 lakes, but in a WW view alone, you can't tell if those lakes are 1km in diameter, 10km, or 100km.

Even the default lat/lon grid is too coarse to be useful. Is there a way to densify the lat/lon grid?

Comment

Great idea. If no one beats me to it, I can probably hack one together. I have to find time though, and that's tough.
          In the meantime, use the measure tool. It should be pre-loaded, just press M. If not, go to Plugins->Load/Unload and load it.
          Last edited by 5of0; 08-02-2006, 03:11 AM.
          Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.
          Before asking, check the FAQ or search, and Ask a good question.

Having problems? Make sure you have Managed DirectX and .NET Framework.
          Then check the Video Card Compatibility List

Comment

Thank you, especially should you find time to develop a dynamic bar-scale plugin. The GlobeIcon (by Patrick Murris) plugin is a nice example of a tool that dynamically portrays the view's general earth position; the Compass plugin dynamically shows the view's orientation. Being able to dynamically portray the view's scale would complement and round-out the other two.

Obviously I generated some other feedbacks about posting new threads under appropriate forums. Yep, I'm a forum novice. Thanks for the education. I see the WW forum is very well organized - I promise to get it right next time. In the meantime, thanks for all of your insightful replies.

Comment

I delved into it this morning, and I'll probably do some more at lunch. It's looking hopeful, but I haven't tried debugging yet.
              Note: The above statement is probably an educated guess, derived from much forum reading, IRC chatting, general curiosity, etc. Use at your own risk.

Comment

I'm making progress, I've debugged it and it draws a scale, but it doesn't do anything useful yet. For me, drawing is the hardest part, though, so it shouldn't be too hard to get it working. I'll attatch a quick screenie of what it looks like so far. You'll note the text and hash marks are twice as big as the scale. I'm working on that, and I'm also working on getting more than the numbers to show without having to turn off everything. I had it at one point, and then it hid again. Anyway, it's getting there.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by 5of0; 08-03-2006, 05:11 AM.

Comment

The size looks fine. Just move the numbers up so they aren't on top of the lines.

Is that the scale at the point under the cross-hair?

edit: And add dimensions. km? miles? feet?

Comment

Yes, yes, and...yes, none.
                    As I said it's a work in progress. The numbers are just placeholders (they represent percentage) for positioning. And yes, the distance is measured smack-dab in the middle of the screen. My screenie was just to show what it will look like, numbers and units are coming.

Comment

Great progress! And good feedback earlier today. I'll refrain from speculative comments until you get a working draft. THANKS.

Comment

Version .9 is ready

Okay, after a couple more commutes, here's a working bar scale. It could be improved, but it works pretty good on my end as-is. Let me know how it works for you. Just unzip the .cs file into your C:\Program Files\NASA\World Wind 1.3\Plugins directory.
                        (I had to zip it to attatch it, it won't let .cs files through.)

Edit: Attatchment removed, see below for updated version
                        Last edited by 5of0; 08-04-2006, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Works fine for me. Very nice.

Comment

Nice proto-type. The Scale.cs plugin installs and functions very well, however, upon validation, I receive disparte results between the "Scale" demarcation of distance, and that obtained with the Measure tool.

I've hopefully attached a low-res JPG screen-grab of a WW example that shows a lake in Mongolia that's approximately 3 km in diameter. In the depicted view, the Scale demarcates 0-500 meters, but the Measure Tool suggests an equivalent map-distance corresponding to roughly 750 meters.

At this juncture, I can't honestly say which is correct, since my 3 km estimate for the lake diameter came from the WW Measure Tool to begin with. Never the less, they differ; so it seems to first suggest that there may be an error in the Script.cs derivation and or display functions.

What's your take?

PS. Thanks for your time and development thus far. Scale.cs is rapidly becoming exactly what I was hoping for.

PSS. If you're wondering, the points and vectors that overlay the lake in the attached JPG depict the movements of a goose during the past 3 days, who is wearing a GPS receiver that relays the GPS locations via communication satellites to our scientific team of "arm-chair" biologists.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Upon closer inspection, I think the disparity between Scale.cs and the WW Measure tool is simply the UNITS. Your Scale.cs is labeled meters, but I think it is portraying miles. The attached JPG shows a section of a USGS Topo map in which the USGS grid-lines correspond to 1-mile increments (approx 1,600 meters). The Scale.cs = 1000m closely aligns with the USGS 1-mile grid spacing, and Measure correctly depicts the approximate 1.6 km = 1 mile relationship. I suspect a correction to the Scale.cs "units" parameters will quickly correct the problem , but who am I to judge that - I'm not a WW programmer.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X