Heavenly Bodies plug-in 0.2 - more than 15 moons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavenly Bodies plug-in 0.2 - more than 15 moons

Here is Heavenly Bodies plug-in 0.2 (Zip 930k).

It adds the Sun and moon(s) according to the current world.
    It includes more than 15 moons and presets for Venus, Earth, the Moon, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.

Io and other jovian moons - using Planetary Rings plug-in for Jupiter night side.

Optional night side of moons is consistent with the Sun position. However, when used in conjonction with the Planetary Rings, Sun position has to be manually set (via layer properties) for each plug-in to have consistent shadows.

Pangloss : thanks for the Saturn moons

Bodies are not clickable yet
    My World Wind Java Blog & WW.net Plugins page

Awesome! I think that this should be included with future version of World Wind. This also reminds me of a very nice image from Cassini that I think some out there would like to see. Here's a link to it.
    Io over Jupiter
    I don't spread the word, I spread the world!
    Road Map for World Wind development and release
    I do not know .Net or DirectX.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest_Jim_*
      This also reminds me of a very nice image from Cassini that I think some out there would like to see. Here's a link to it.
      Io over Jupiter
      Talk about shadows
      Projected shadows of moons on main body are in the pipeline for next version... when i figure out how to do them!

Comment

Very nice. Great Plugin. Some rendering problems though. Probably the Screenie will explain better than i can:
        Attached Files
        http://www.garnichts.net

Comment

Originally posted by PSK
          Very nice. Great Plugin. Some rendering problems though. Probably the Screenie will explain better than i can:http://forum.worldwindcentral.com/at...1&d=1148944881
          How did you manage to do that ? I know bugs can be vicious, but, the way the bodies are rendered, well i cant imagine how this may happen since it should render either before the planet or after everything - but just before the compass...

What's in you Layer Manager list ? Do you have the compass ?

Comment

i have no plugins enabled, only Blue Marble, Sky gradient, Heavenly Bodies and planetary rings. I noticed, that the "Heavenly Bodies (background)" layer will display all objects in front of Saturn/Jupiter etc. (even if supposed to be behind) while the foreground Layer works correct except for the problem with the rings plugin as you can see it in the screenshot (everything is fine but the planets shadow covers the moon too).
            Last edited by PSK; 05-30-2006, 03:15 AM.
            http://www.garnichts.net

Comment

Load Starfield

Originally posted by PSK
              i have no plugins enabled...
              There i understand : i assumed that everybody will have at least the Starfield layer before the Images layer so the background part of the Heavenly bodies will insert itself in second position - supposedly after the stars and before the images. Since you dont seem to have the stars, the background portion finds itself just after Images and overwrites it... and is being overwritten by the rings shadows just after

Same thing may happen for the foreground portion that inserts itself just before the last layer - that i wrongly assumed would be the grid lines or the compass.

To solve that, load the starfield layer, and the compass too.

I'll find a smarter way for inserting the layers in the right place, even in that case.

EDIT : now that i think about it, the sky gradient should be before Images... unless you have an old version, and the heavenly bodies background should fall in between the gradient and Images... you may need to update the sky gradient too.
              Last edited by patmurris; 05-30-2006, 04:37 AM.

Comment

hi

very nice plugin, but is it possible that you can make this addon with the planets in worldwind?? and not with pictures?? like celestia, so that i can zoom in worldwind direct to the planets..

Best regards

stargate

Comment

Originally posted by stargate
                  hi

very nice plugin, but is it possible that you can make this addon with the planets in worldwind?? and not with pictures?? like celestia, so that i can zoom in worldwind direct to the planets..

Best regards

stargate
                  I dont think so.. .but.. making the orbital worlds clickable would be possible (i think)

p.s. Just want to say I love this addon !! I keep looking at it // sweet job !
                  Last edited by basbakker; 05-31-2006, 06:03 PM.
                  Merlin Lives!

Comment

Moon-Earth position

Hi,

I've installed the "Heavenly Bodies" plugin in World Wind 1.4, but I don't understand one thing: when I'm over Moon surface, I only can see the Earth in front of the dark side of the Moon (and this isn't possible).

Is it a mistake of the plugin or I need to do something to put the Earth in the correct position?

Thanks and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                      when I'm over Moon surface, I only can see the Earth in front of the dark side of the Moon (and this isn't possible).

Is it a mistake of the plugin or I need to do something to put the Earth in the correct position?
                      Moons and other 'heavenly bodies' are placed at some latitude and longitude around the planet with no considerations for 'real' physics or true orbital motion.

However, you can change bodies positions in the layer properties : right-click on one of the 'Heavenly Bodies' layer and select Properties. The settings will be saved and next time you load the plugin, positions will be remembered.

Comment

Working...
                      X